Spinning vs the real thing

jaybo1973
jaybo1973 Posts: 301
edited March 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hi guys

My missus has started back at the gym after about 18 months out due to having the babies. she wants to shift a couple of stone. She has stated doing spinning classes and says that she burns more calories off in a 45 min class than I burn in double that time down the trails. She says that because the class is constant, under instruction and there is no free wheeling, it is more effective for weight loss. She may be right, i dont ride for that reason.

Out of interest, i wore a heart rate monitor when I went out today and did about 11.5 miles in about an hour and a quarter and according to the monitor burned 860 kcal (not sure how accurate it is) will send the missus with it spinning tomorrow.

I wonder what distance they would cover at that intensity on a real bike?

Comments

• jaybo1973
    Well, she didnt go spinning today. Anyone know which is the biggest calorie cruncher?
  • phoebian
    phoebian Posts: 497
    I've found when I go to the gym I burn more calories whilst on the rowing machine :/
  • Eskimo427
    Eskimo427 Posts: 288
    phoebian wrote:
    I've found when I go to the gym I burn more calories whilst on the rowing machine :/

I spent 1hr 5minutes on a rowing macine on Friday and burnt 1000Kcal, I would never have done that on my bike. According to SportyPal on my phone, the 1hr 7minutes ride to work only burns 817Kcal.
  • rhyko7
    rhyko7 Posts: 781
    the biggest calorie burners would be using the cross trainer or running, you would also burn more calories in an hour of hard mtbing than spinning or road riding (well i do anyway, from data i have collected in 1 hour spin class 813kcal and riding cwmcarn 1hr3 in wet 1271kcal), but not as much as running or cross training. this is due to the ammount of muscles you use. also to burn the same ammount or get your heart rate up on the rower you have to go at it very hard. i.e the more technical the mtb course the more you tend to use your arms and whole body.

p.s you cant correlate how many calories you burn against how many your misses burns, too many variables
    Dont look at it-ride it! they are tools not f*cking ornaments

my riding:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/rhyspect

Some of my Rides Data/maps:
    http://www.trimbleoutdoors.com/Users/527337
  • jaybo1973
    rhyko7 wrote:
    p.s you cant correlate how many calories you burn against how many your misses burns, too many variables

Oh, I know. Was just curious on the matter as i dont ride to burn calories, it is just an added bonus. My missus spins to burn calories to loose a bit of weight.
  • Has your good lady ever gone riding with you? This could be a good excuse to bring her along and see what she reckons! I appreciate if she isn't comfortable off road she wouldn't be pushing it, but if you were to link her up to the monitor for a ride and a spin session, this may be the way to check. Also, as summer is hopefully around the corner, you may have a new riding buddy!
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • jaybo1973
    Has your good lady ever gone riding with you? This could be a good excuse to bring her along and see what she reckons! I appreciate if she isn't comfortable off road she wouldn't be pushing it, but if you were to link her up to the monitor for a ride and a spin session, this may be the way to check. Also, as summer is hopefully around the corner, you may have a new riding buddy!

She has indeed but its hard for us to do stuff like that together now because of the babies. She finds it more convienient to go out to the gym for an hour for a quick workout. We are going to sort baby seats out for the bikes though over the next couple of weeks but this will limit my riding :(
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    hey jaybo, we've just had a little un and i'm debating joining the gym so i can use the pool with him and the mrs.

i've never been in a gym in my life and was wondering about spinning classes and machines as well: i'll be paying a fair wack for membership so just a swim once a week = not value for money....at least i'd be training for riding if i cant do the real thing as often as before!

i'm thinking: touch rugby monday, gym wednesday, off road commute friday (+ shady pint), swim saturday am.

the ammount of time babys take up is mind boggeling!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    the easy solution is to get her to become a lightweight rower...

max weight 59kg and usually lean and hot...
  • jaybo1973
    tsenior wrote:
    hey jaybo, we've just had a little un and i'm debating joining the gym so i can use the pool with him and the mrs.

i've never been in a gym in my life and was wondering about spinning classes and machines as well: i'll be paying a fair wack for membership so just a swim once a week = not value for money....at least i'd be training for riding if i cant do the real thing as often as before!

i'm thinking: touch rugby monday, gym wednesday, off road commute friday (+ shady pint), swim saturday am.

the ammount of time babys take up is mind boggeling!

Yeah, we have twins so its double trouble. the missus works evenings now so we dont have to pay for child care, so I walk in from work and she goes out. She has the better deal, she does all sorts in the day; baby groups, the gym, shopping meeting friends. I have time for sod all.

I used to goto the gym though, 3 and 4 times a week and you are better mixing it up a bit or you will get bored. The few times I went spinning were really good. Also did boxersize but mainly just used the machines and free weights followed by a swim and sauna. I could do with it again, just havent the time :(
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Saw the Real Thing walking in Queen Street Cardiff, late 70's.
    Oh, not the group? Sorry...