How did you 'move up'?

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I have a Giant Sedona, which is a 26" MTB hybrid with 1.95" tyres and low-end components generally.

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Giant-Sedona-20 ... _20210.htm

I usually stay on the bridleways but did about 15 miles on-road yesterday, sloooow.

I wouldn't mind trying out something faster, but not sure I can justify it.

What's the best way to try out new kit without commitment?

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Robbery.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I know this isn't going to be especially helpful for you, but in my case a friend was selling his road bike - and was happy to leave it with me for a week to test ride it to see if I'd like it.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    How about going to your LBS and seeing if they'll give you a test ride.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    I test rode my first road bike from Evans Cycles.
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Many bike shops will allow you a test ride so long as you leave your firstborn as a deposit.
    Alternatively, sign up for one of the Ride-it sportives. They have a fleet of rather nice demo bikes you can try out for a small fee. They also have shorter route options.

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/demo-bikes
    Misguided Idealist
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Wiggle will give you 30 days now on certain makes, I think (certainly longer than 7 days anyway).

I bought my first road bike second hand so that if I wanted to sell it soon after I knew I wouldn't loose much.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • thelawnet
    Many bike shops will allow you a test ride so long as you leave your firstborn as a deposit.
    Alternatively, sign up for one of the Ride-it sportives. They have a fleet of rather nice demo bikes you can try out for a small fee. They also have shorter route options.

http://www.evanscycles.com/ride-it/demo-bikes

thanks.

They have one here next month, unfortunately I'm on holiday then :cry:

Maybe I'll go along to a club ride and have a word with some of the other riders.
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Got my first two bikes through C2W scheme - nothing in the rules that says you can't have a second bike
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Not sure if there's one near you, but the Evans RideIt! sportives have an option for you to hire a new bike for £20 - and a sportive should give you a good idea of whether you like the bike or not.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Not sure if there's one near you, but the Evans RideIt! sportives have an option for you to hire a new bike for £20 - and a sportive should give you a good idea of whether you like the bike or not.

+1. Much better than a test ride.

Are there any prolonged testing sessions at the Bike Radar Live event?

EDIT: I just took the plunge and bought a road bike because I needed it for triathlons. I only had my mtb at the time.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • thelawnet

£45 actually, including the £10 sportive fee. Not bad though, if you're hiring out a £3k bike, and if you're going to buy a bike off them, even a £200 one, you can use the £35 as credit off the price.

Have to wear a helmet though.
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    local paper small ads, loot or freecycle or if you have an internal website at work with a sales/swaps bit on it, you'll be amazed at the people who have a hybrid/roadie of some sort gathering dust in the shed.

an acquaintance of mine asked and got over 50 offers of free bikes. he got a peach of a raleigh tourer, 12 years old bareley used and immaculate.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    for commute I normally still use, a big green cast iron lump of a bike, yes it's a hybrid, but for fairly low distances it's fine, potholes etc don't worry it, it stays put when parked up etc.

this said I have got a old roadie which is a lot faster nicer bike. which I got for less than a round, though bar the frame most has been changed now.
  • thelawnet
    hmm. Perhaps I should just try out some narrower tyres. Any suggestions for something noticeably faster than my current ones?
  • try these they will make your mtb feel as close as its going to get to a road bike

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=20401

:)
  • thelawnet
    oh yeah, I should have mentioned, that I would like not to die if I take it on the towpath.
  • try schwalbe marathon then

:)