What is your injury!

afield23
afield23 Posts: 19
edited March 2010 in Health, fitness & training
I recently broke my hip and cracked some ribs failing a 6ft drop, just curious as to what injury you have had while out biking and believe it makes you stronger! I'm currently staring at my bike for 6 weeks until I can get out again!
Don't do 6ft drops on a carbon full suss trail bike, it doesn't work. Ask my fractured Great Trochanter, he will tell you.

Comments

• antshybrid
    antshybrid Posts: 139
    take your pick!!
    broken ankle
    busted.jpg

slated sliced knee at Llandegla
    knee.jpg
    kneecap.jpg

busted lag on treestump
    calfbruise.jpg
  • bertieg
    bertieg Posts: 7
    surgery on my shoulder that i kept dislocating, about 2 years ago. went over the bars and fell about 6 feet shoulder first about 3 years ago. did it a few times again after that

last november i had sugery after knackering my ACL and some cartilidge. did that about a year ago, jumped off mid air, landed with my leg straight and bent my knee backwards :?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    My shins always cop it.
  • afield23
    antshybrid wrote:
    take your pick!!
    broken ankle
    busted.jpg

slated sliced knee at Llandegla
    knee.jpg
    kneecap.jpg

busted lag on treestump
    calfbruise.jpg

Holy crap you must be one hell of a loony biker! Full body armour for you then! lol
    Don't do 6ft drops on a carbon full suss trail bike, it doesn't work. Ask my fractured Great Trochanter, he will tell you.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Not had any real injuries biking *touchwood*. When I used to play football more it was always my ankle that used to suffer. Rolled it a few times when being barged into mid air, and under dodgy challenges from other people, I looked down once and saw the logo on the sole of my boot looking back at me...not pleasant.

Biking, by comparision, has been much less painful! The worst thing was stabbing myself in the hand with a screwdriver during a 'workshop malfunction' :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Big hole in my knee, dislocated my shoulder on one fall.

The knee still causes issues but it partly related to a slightly flat foot.

Various little scars but nothing too bad.

Surfing is where I really hurt myself!
  • OwenBird
    OwenBird Posts: 210
    Off road, concussions, stitches, couple of broken toes, broken ribs
    On road, concussion, dislocated toe, separated shoulder.
    SOLD!
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    I've had a few over the years, mainly tennis related, but luckily nothing serious. The worst was a rotator cuff injury last year which healed itself with 4 months off and daily exercise. Also ripped a tendon in my wrist from hitting a punchbag and had to have surgery to fix it. Now as good as new. More recently had a spell of IT Band Syndrome which basically means the ligament that runs down my thigh and attaches to the knee was pulled and a bit swollen. Caused by riding too much with the saddle a little too high. All fixed now though.
  • afield23
    Loving all this biking-related gore, makes the sport so much more fun!

I also had concussion and I now think i broke my thumb as it still bloody hurts a week later, my ribs are killing me but I am walking on the broken hip so I can get out riding and take advantage of 5 more weeks off work!

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger! Oh and the carbon frame looks ok!
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    two cracked ribs from falling off my bike yesterday morning...............returning from the paper shop, locked the back wheel up and i went sideways :oops:
    the bloody paper shop !!!!!!!!!
  • afield23
    turpinr wrote:
    two cracked ribs from falling off my bike yesterday morning...............returning from the paper shop, locked the back wheel up and i went sideways :oops:

Get well soon buddy, i also have two cracked ribs and I know how long it takes to get out of bed! Just wait til you sneeze!
  • turpinr
    turpinr Posts: 255
    afield23 wrote:
    turpinr wrote:

Get well soon buddy, i also have two cracked ribs and I know how long it takes to get out of bed! Just wait til you sneeze!
    cheers mate.they may be broken.at the A&E the triage nurse said they don't x-ray them anymore as they don't treat damaged ribs.
    i broke 2 in 2000 after a motor bike fall off and they feel the same.
    sneeze, cough, burp, hick-up.......i dread them all
    slept in an armchair last night.the memories came flooding back
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I've mashed up my hands and wrists over winter, but not on the bike that just had broken parts :shock: Freerunning in the snow however resulted in two volar plate avulsion fractures in my left hand (ring and little finger) sprained both radio ulnar ligaments with another avulsion fracture on the right side. Can't be bothered with casts, early mobility seems to have better results and probably only hurts the same.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Itsari
    Itsari Posts: 346
    I am sporting two dicky shoulders - one from last Aug' the other from a fair few months before that. No pics as such got a vid' of my mate spinning my taco'd rim from the first one.

Last smash put me out of action for ages.

Only now feeling they are both up to riding, still getting the odd pang of pain :( Doc's said they were just bruised (both times) and to rest up...Still think it was something a bit more serious than bruising. Shaken my confidence a fair bit too...Nothing some more riding wont cure.