Best place for a horn on drops?

cyberknight
cyberknight Posts: 1,238
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Can anyone offer advice on where to position the button for an airzound on drop bars?

Just picked one up second hand and it seems if i stick it next to the stem its a bit far to reach if i want to press it.

Has anyone any pointers please?
FCN 3/5/9

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'd like one too but the major thing that stopped me is the bar diameter v the clamp diameter of the horn.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    ^ that's hilarious. "caused by a misunderstanding after he had too much to drink".
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    I know what you mean i have 25.4 mm bars and it just fits on next to the stem , no hope of getting it over the fizik gel pad /bar tape combo.

For the £8+ p&p it cost me i thought i would give it try more as a warning method rather than as an alternative to evasive action.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    I know what you mean i have 25.4 mm bars and it just fits on next to the stem , no hope of getting it over the fizik gel pad /bar tape combo.

For the £8+ p&p it cost me i thought i would give it try more as a warning method rather than as an alternative to evasive action.

Tried shouting ? :wink:
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Can anyone offer advice on where to position the button for an airzound on drop bars?

Just picked one up second hand and it seems if i stick it next to the stem its a bit far to reach if i want to press it.

Has anyone any pointers please?

Right next to your forefinger is the best place :twisted: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    From the Airzound FAQ:
    To attach your AZ onto oversized handlebars (i.e. up to 1 1/4"): remove the volume knob from the
    horn; press horn onto handlebar without the clamp using the thin shim; wrap the two 8" cable ties
    in opposite directions through the volume knob hole and around the horn (above the back cap
    and below the button); place the air bottle in the bottle cage.

It looks like it's designed to go near-ish the stem, not right next to your trigger-finger on the drops (where it would probably interfere with braking and gear changes anyway). You're going to have to compromise, or mod it to have a separate button that fits near the hoods.