evans cycles

flipperfoot
flipperfoot Posts: 4
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi,
Has anyone bought a bike from Evans cycles recently?
I've ordered one online,5-7 days delivery,& 2 weeks later still nothing-is this their normal customer service?
I've asked for the bike to be delivered to my local store & when I asked when it may be in,the reply was"the bike is in another store London way & it get's picked up normally on a Friday which then goes to our distribition centre.So it could be this Friday or maybe next Friday but you'll be pleased to know it's on it's way."
( The bike is shown in stock on their website.)

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Simple answer is ring the store and tell them you want to cancel the due to the crap service. If you've already paid for the bike tell them you want a refund as well. Then take your cash to a good local bike shop and get a bike from them. The service will be 10 times better than Evans, Halfords etc. There's probably a massive back order of bikes, due to cycling being so popular at the moment. Evans haven't got the best of reps.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    I ordered a bike from the London Spitalfields branch this January and have had no problems. It was direct through the shop though rather than online, and they had to get it from another London based branch. Bike arrived within the week as promised. For after-sales service I would go to a local bike shop though for the reason that Tonymufc stated. I also agree with him that if you're being screwed around, just cancel the order and go somewhere else.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    I had whittled the bikes I was looking at down to 2 and had asked Evans to bring them to the store for a test ride; 3 weeks later still no sign of them, so cancelled, got a refund and then bought one from ebay.
  • gaz545
    gaz545 Posts: 493
    It's clearly hit and miss with evans, my local store is s**t hot!! i ordered two bikes for a test ride on a sunday, wednesday morning i got a ring telling me they are in store and ready when ever i get there.

I'm not sure even my local bike shop (Geoffrey Butler) could manage that!

Great service at my local evans as well.. guys always friendly and up for a chat!
  • I shall take your comments on board.
    It's just annoying spending time finding a bike you like,testing a different version, opting for the upgraded one ,ordering one & then nothing.
    I shall think carefully in future before going through Evans cycles,especially when bikes I've ordered before through different websites turn up pretty much next day..
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I think bike availability is pretty variable these days. I was in my LBS on Saturday and a young lady was trying to choose between two bikes - one available straight away from stock, and the one she *really* wanted wouldn't be available from the importers till June !
    Misguided Idealist
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I found that in Dales cycles. I was really just in to find out what size I'd need but the guy mentioned a couple of the bikes that were suitable wouldn't be in stock until at least April.
  • At least they were given a date of some sort.The other thing is I made use of Evans price match system-perhaps because I got a good deal they are trying to put me off,less money in their pockets.....me the cynic -never!!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Evans claim not only to, not being beaten on price, but also customer service. I would cancel your web order and request a refund. If you still want to buy from Evans do it via the stores and don't pay a penny until you have test ridden the bike you want and are happy with it. When I got my Kona Kula about 18 months ago the Spittals store got the bike size in that I thought I would need except that when I came to try it, it was too big. Their service was ok, no great shakes. I got the impression most of them wished they were elsewhere. However at their St Pauls store which had a slightly smaller size Kona Kula there was a Belgian guy working there who was absolutely bloody brilliant and made up for the other guys indifference at Spittalfields. I thought it quicker to go between the stores myself rather than wait for them to transfer the bikes. One of the mechanics at the Spitals store was really enthusiastic giving me without prompting lots of tips on maintenance - not that I need it. But at least he was passionate about bikes and good service. He must have been new :lol: !
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I bought a bike from evans a couple of years ago, it was late then arrived without the seatpost or saddle, when I finally rode it away the stem wasn't done up tight, saddle hand tight, gears rubbing in every gear which is actually quite hard to set up that way.

I bought it right back and had a stern word or four!

LBS is you're best bet failing that one of the better online stores like wiggle or ribble.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jangle
    jangle Posts: 114
    Down here in yokel land, the Bristol branch is good. I ordered a bike from them on a Wednesday and it was in and built ready for collection on the Monday. They price matched £800 off, with no quibbles and were friendly throughout. With the price match I actually spend most of my cycling money there now.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I want to say that Evans in Clapham is good and it is, if you're buying a spare innertube or pump. I've seen them sell a bike and the service wasn't bad, I was impressed even. Right up until I went into GB Cycles (a local bikestore in Croydon) and watched as the guy's in there spent more than an hour setting up the guys bike, making sure the contact points and the lot was just right.

The guy was so attentitive in making sure everything on the bike was just right I felt like saying to him just let the guy give you the money and f*cking ride the bike. It was such good service I think I would loose paitence.

LBS, always. Go to Evans get your money back and support the little guy who opened up a bike shop because he loves cycling too the point he made it his livelihood.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    LBS, always. Go to Evans get your money back and support the little guy who opened up a bike shop because he loves cycling too the point he made it his livelihood.
    Oddly enough I tried that this morning, getting my money back. No surprise that they don't to buy back a 6 month old bike with a few niggly faults that's done the best part of 1000 miles over the winter. Shame. Otherwise I'd be off up the road like a shot to the LBS.

DD's right - Evans are ok to good on most things. It's not the same as having your own tame LBS chap though. I miss that.
  • DonDaddyD
    CiB wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Oddly enough I tried that this morning, getting my money back. No surprise that they don't to buy back a 6 month old bike with a few niggly faults that's done the best part of 1000 miles over the winter. Shame.

Not the BMC? What's wrong with it?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    DD - PM'd you. It's ongoing with Evans so not the best time to publicise it widely.

In essence, nothing serious, just a succession of niggles.
  • DonDaddyD
    PM sent back. But I think you got good grounds there. Won't say much more.

As to the OP, if they can't even give you a delivery date then aren't they in breach of some sort of sales/consumer standards or regulation.

Essentially you've just handed over money with no assurance of delivery of goods.

That, let alone the wait would be enough for me to insist upon a refund or compensation.
    Food Chain number = 4