Trek Fuel Bearing sizes 2009 (Ex 9) Update!

trekex977
trekex977 Posts: 95
edited September 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I will be stripping down my fuel ex this weekend to regrease all the frame/pivot bearings and note the bearing sizes.

Ive not contacted Trek yet but my long shot question is.. Does anyone have any details of the bearing sizes in the ex9 2009 frame.

Thanks ahead

Comments

• andyrm
    andyrm Posts: 550
    Have a look on the rubber seals on the bearing units - they will have something along the lines of 6805, 61805 or similar. Then just find a local bearing supplier and you can pick them up for literally pence. Even upgrading to something really cool like ceramics or polymer injected ones will cost less than £30 from a bearing supplier. :D
  • trekex977
    trekex977 Posts: 95
    Thought I would post up my finding of the inevitable bearing inspection on my Fuel ex.

First of all the bearing sizes are as follows:-

Evo Link 4x 6900-2RS (22x10x6)
    ABP Bearings 2x 6901-2RS (24x12x6)
    Main Pivot Bearing 2x 6903 Sealed cartridge with extended inner race (30x17)

Fair play to Trek they answered my questions straight away and sent me an exploded diagram of my frame and all the part numbers for all bearings,fasteners,links, dropouts etc.

I am only posting my findings up for other fuel owners as it might be worth checking some of the bearings out. You may need to order the main pivot bearing from Trek as it has an extended inner race.

It wasnt until i checked the main pivot i found I had a seized main pivot bearing ( pic included) and some of the rocker link bearings had notchiness( if thats a word). Anyway all bearings have been fully cleaned and re greased. All is well. Till the new bearings arrive. Been told simply-bearings is a good site. Fairly cheap.

07032010271.jpg

07032010275.jpg

07032010278.jpg

07032010279.jpg
  • bells0
    bells0 Posts: 414
    Thanks for the info. Should look into stripping mine at some point. Not had much action over winter so should still have plenty of life left.
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    I had a creaking evo rocker so got in touch with trek and they sent a new Magnesium(sp?) rocker for about £45 if i remember right also a full bearing set inc new rocker was about £70 !!! I thought that was a good price tbh i know i could have shoped around at places like bearing traders ect but .... !!
  • ANG
    ANG Posts: 1
    hey thanks for that i have a 06 ex9 and need to strip mine and replace it sounds easier than i thought. did you send an email to anyone in particular at Trek?
  • loughor
    loughor Posts: 25
    Sorry for slight hijack, and probably a daft question, but I presume the bearing sizes are the same for an 09 EX8 ? Thanks for the post, very interesting.
    Jon
  • Hey,

I have had an identical bike since new, so probably a 3 years old now and never checked or replaced these bearings.

Getting a lot of creaks and squeaks now from the bike so I think it's time I had a look at them.

The information that you have posted along with the pics are excellent and pretty invaluable to me. I don't mind tackling a new job on my bike but like knowing what I am letting myself in got first so this is perfect.

I have no doubt I will have to replace all the bearings but can't complain about the 3 years life through our winter conditions (which didn't change much this summer).

Any tips on bearing removal and refit?

Cheers
    Trek Fuel EX-9 (2009)