Tight Hams. Any ideas?

Tonymufc
Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
For the last couple of weeks, my commute in the morning has caused me a bit of pain in my Hamstrings. Particularly the right one. I'm assuming its my new bike. However I should add that I set my bike up with the same measurements as my others, and the geometry is the same as my good bike, but different to my old winter/commuter bike. Has anyone got any suggestions or ideas how to rectify the problem or get rid of the cause. Cheers Tony.

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,714
    Stretch.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1. (We agree :lol: )
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Tonymufc
    You mean stretch cold muscles. Always thought that was a no no. Correct me if I'm wrong though. And why has it only just started now? Is it due to the new bike?
  • cjcp
    You just stretch carefully.

Is your saddle the same? Saddle position the same?
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Tonymufc
    Its the same height, but I should really check the fore/aft.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Keep hydrated during the ride and drink a pint or so of water when you finish.

Dunno if you are hammering it all the way home and avoiding a warm down towards the end, that may make a difference.

I've found if I get home and slob out on the sofa straight away, the dreaded cramp visits, I try to take the dogs out for a quiet walk to the park as a warm down.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Tonymufc wrote:

I doubt the saddle height is the problem tbh and as long as the bike is the same as your other one I'd bet money it's the fore/after that needs changing. If it's too far forward you will put more emphasis on the thighs. Try changing it, maybe a tiny bit further back, but make the changes subtle.
  • Tonymufc
    The commute isn't that long (8 miles) so I tend to take it easy for the first five minutes then put the hammer down all the way to work. But during that warm up, I can really feel the tightness in the hams. As for hydration. I'm up at 5.15am and out the door for 5.45am. To get the hydration sorted before I leave for work would mean getting up probably another 30 minutes earlier. ( I am drinking on the way in though) Once in work I have a good drink of water, shower, change into work clothes, bowl of cereal/porridge and cup of tea. Hydrate all day with water, and the odd can of the black stuff.
  • Maybe your crank/bottom bracket is a diferent width even though the rest of the geometry is the same. I noticed when i went from my good bike to winter bike that the inside of my thighs hurt and it was down to this.
    +1 on strecthing
    You dont mention your clothing. Maybe they are getting cold. Try keeping your hamstrings covered at all times with an extra layer of tight fitting shorts or under shorts like the footballers wear.
    Are your cleats set up right?
    If i aint riding it, then im thinking about riding it.
  • Tonymufc
    sampras38 wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:

I doubt the saddle height is the problem tbh and as long as the bike is the same as your other one I'd bet money it's the fore/after that needs changing. If it's too far forward you will put more emphasis on the thighs. Try changing it, maybe a tiny bit further back, but make the changes subtle.

Gonna give it a try, and knock the saddle back a few millimeters
  • benno68
    Tonymufc wrote:
    The commute isn't that long (8 miles) so I tend to take it easy for the first five minutes then put the hammer down all the way to work. But during that warm up, I can really feel the tightness in the hams. As for hydration. I'm up at 5.15am and out the door for 5.45am. To get the hydration sorted before I leave for work would mean getting up probably another 30 minutes earlier. ( I am drinking on the way in though) Once in work I have a good drink of water, shower, change into work clothes, bowl of cereal/porridge and cup of tea. Hydrate all day with water, and the odd can of the black stuff.

That must be a great company you work for, Guiness at work - superb!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Tonymufc
    Maybe your crank/bottom bracket is a diferent width even though the rest of the geometry is the same. I noticed when i went from my good bike to winter bike that the inside of my thighs hurt and it was down to this.
    +1 on strecthing
    You dont mention your clothing. Maybe they are getting cold. Try keeping your hamstrings covered at all times with an extra layer of tight fitting shorts or under shorts like the footballers wear.
    Are your cleats set up right?

I either wear 3/4 bibs or shorts with leg warmers.
  • Tonymufc
    Benno68 wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:

That must be a great company you work for, Guiness at work - superb!

Its encouraged where I work. :lol:
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    Tonymufc wrote:
    sampras38 wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:

Gonna give it a try, and knock the saddle back a few millimeters

It could be one solution and worth a try, but unless you're re-creating exactly the same conditions as the other bike, it could be a few things. Weather, diet, hydration, are you warmed up..
  • Tonymufc
    The warm up is usually done on the bike. as posted earlier, I'm out of the house at stupid o'clock, so a pre-ride warm up is a non starter. I've just measured all three bikes and all the measurements are the same. Don't know how to measure fore/aft so a bit of trial and error I think to get that one right. Just out of curiosity, if the saddle is too far forward/back what is the outcome. I.e. pain in legs, back, neck etc.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    If you have the option to stretch somewhere warm, after exercise, like a sauna or something, I find that really helps.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    After I started cycling to work my hamstrings tightened noticeably. In my experience it has nothing to do with how hard I rode or bike setup, merely that after riding to work or home and went and sat down. Legs not being stretched then in a static bent position meant they tightened down the back. Walking around at work and during my lunch break don't cut it - I have to do proper stretching to stop the tightness returning.

Now I try to stretch each one when I arrive at work and before having my tea at home. Never stretch cold muscles, you can easily do them harm. Lots of info on this site including the forums:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3 ... +hamstring
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • benno68
    That sounds like what happens to me too Simon E.

It's bl00dy murder when it happens, of course no sympathy from Mrs Benno or my daughter, they just roll about laughing!

Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Tonymufc
    Simon E wrote:
    After I started cycling to work my hamstrings tightened noticeably. In my experience it has nothing to do with how hard I rode or bike setup, merely that after riding to work or home and went and sat down. Legs not being stretched then in a static bent position meant they tightened down the back. Walking around at work and during my lunch break don't cut it - I have to do proper stretching to stop the tightness returning.

Now I try to stretch each one when I arrive at work and before having my tea at home. Never stretch cold muscles, you can easily do them harm. Lots of info on this site including the forums:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3 ... +hamstring

The thing is though, I've been cycling to work for the past 3 years and never had a problem with tight hams. I think when I get into work in the morning before I jump into the shower I'll give my hams a good stretch. I drive for a living so i suppose being behind the wheel for 11 hours a day doesn't help.
  • Check the saddle angle - the position of its surface relative the horizontal plane, esp compared to your other bikes. Rotate the nose of the saddle down, and your pelvis follows, stretching your hams.

Don't neglect this. Tight hams will eventually cause havoc in your lumbar spine. Your hams are a lot stronger than your lumbar muscles, and will win in a tug o' war every time.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    For good stretching technique, I would speak to someone you know who knows about yoga, which involves a lot of stretching. IIRC taking it slowly and keeping your breathing steady helps you stretch out a lot more.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Mithras
    Mithras Posts: 428
    Tonymufc,
    Have you changed anything else, shoes,cleats, pedals etc, had a lay off because of the weather etc?
    My knee injury has mainly been caused by having a few weeks off because of the weather and holiday and then banging back in at exactly the same level I left off at! Oh yeah and ignoring the pain because pain is just weakness leaving the body! Foo! :roll: :oops:
    I can afford to talk softly!....................I carry a big stick!
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    When I had hammy problems for several years - any sport, not just cycling- I finally went to physio and the problem was my core and back. Tight hammies were just a protective symptom. Given that this coincided with the new bike, then maybe it s just a set up issue, but if your job is driving, perhaps it is a deeper core related issue and might be worth a consultation....
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    rjsterry wrote:
    For good stretching technique, I would speak to someone you know who knows about yoga, which involves a lot of stretching. IIRC taking it slowly and keeping your breathing steady helps you stretch out a lot more.

I'd agree but then as someone who does a lot of yoga I would. ;)

From a stretching perspective the goal is not just to stretch tight hamstrings but to breathe and relax the muscles that are making the hamstrings tight. From personal experience the muscles of the lower back, buttocks and back of the legs all need to relax to to free the hamstrings. Its entirely possible for these muscles to get so tight that you don't even realise the tension is there. At least that has been my experience.

When stretching its really important not to push the stretch too far. Basically you need to stretch just to the point where you can start to feel it but not more. Attempting to stretch things too much can tear things. Another thing that helps is to stretch when the muscles are warmed up rather than cold.

Mike
  • Tonymufc
    Greg66 wrote:
    Check the saddle angle - the position of its surface relative the horizontal plane, esp compared to your other bikes. Rotate the nose of the saddle down, and your pelvis follows, stretching your hams.

Don't neglect this. Tight hams will eventually cause havoc in your lumbar spine. Your hams are a lot stronger than your lumbar muscles, and will win in a tug o' war every time.

Funny you should mention that. I placed a book on the saddle last night and put a small spirit level on top and it showed that the saddle was pointing downwards slightly. Am I right in thinking that this could be the cause of my problems. Incidentally when I set off this morning I had no pain what so ever. (Sods law) I gave them a good stretch when I got into anyway, and again once I'd got home.
  • Tonymufc
    Just thought of an idea. What if I take the saddle and seat post off my old bike and put it onto the new one. Or is that a bit OTT.
  • mudcovered
    mudcovered Posts: 725
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Funny you should mention that. I placed a book on the saddle last night and put a small spirit level on top and it showed that the saddle was pointing downwards slightly. Am I right in thinking that this could be the cause of my problems. Incidentally when I set off this morning I had no pain what so ever. (Sods law) I gave them a good stretch when I got into anyway, and again once I'd got home.

It should be possible to adjust the saddle on the new bike to match the old one. Although if you are more comfortable with the saddle from your old bike you can always transfer it from the new one. Greg is right to say not to ignore this tightening. I didn't and its taken me ages to get back the flexibility I lost as a consequence.

To adjust the saddle slope just undo the bolt under the saddle to adjust the level (and forwards/backward position) then retighten once you are done.

Mike
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    Check the saddle angle - the position of its surface relative the horizontal plane, esp compared to your other bikes. Rotate the nose of the saddle down, and your pelvis follows, stretching your hams.

+1. My thighs and hams have been playing up when I've put effort in. I noticed my saddle was pointed up, so flattened for today's Surrey Rumble. No issues. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."