Bike suggestions for O'groats to lands end 5 day trip..?

chriscove
chriscove Posts: 13
edited March 2010 in Tour & expedition
As title, me and 2 friends have decided that this is the year! Planning it for September but I need a bike to start training on.
I have been looking at Cannondales, as I used to have one and it was simply a dream. But would it be suitable for this sort of trip?

Any input and or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Oh and my budget for the bike is around the £500-600 mark. (Looking second hand obviously)

Thanks

Chris

Comments

• nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    You do realise you will be doing at LEAST 150 miles per day,to do it in 5 days? :shock:
    After a couple of days,the fatigue will start to build up
    so many cols,so little time!
  • chriscove
    Indeed. It's not going to be no holiday! But has been done. It will be around 170 a day.
    This is why I'm trying to prepare the best i can!

I'm assuming a steel bike would be better for longer mileage?

Chris
  • chriscove
    Indeed. It's not going to be no holiday! But has been done. It will be around 170 a day.
    This is why I'm trying to prepare the best i can!

I'm assuming a steel bike would be better for longer mileage?

Chris
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Assume your not carrying any gear except maybe water with a support car?

If so I'd just get a half decent roadie so you can munch those miles.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    I did LEJOG in 5 days last year, without support. Almost exactly 1500km.

Any road bike will do provided its comfortable. I used a Kuota Kharma. Doesn't really matter what the bike is made from as long as its comfortable for you.

I used a seat post rack and a rack bag to carry my stuff (didn't have much).

Good luck!
    More problems but still living....
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    the way the question is asked makes me wonder whether you nrealise what 170miles per day for 5 days will be like. This is serious milage for well fit people who have sorted their bike fit, saddle, riding pace, fluids and nutrition, and got alot of practice at 200km rides.
    If you are young and very fit the saddle area and wrist/hand comfort at least needs consideration.
    TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow