Bronzie
Bronzie Posts: 4,927
edited March 2010 in Pro race
So the new recruits for 2010 are:

Frederik Kessiakoff (Swe) - Garmin - 29
Tiago Machado (Por) - Radio Shack - 24
Arthur Vichot (Fra) - FD Jeux - 21
Rein Taaramae (Est) - Cofidis - 22

Who do we reckon is tipped for greatness, if any?

Taaramae sounds like a real potential raw talent - his first tests for Cofidis had them checking the calibration of the powermeter such were the numbers - although perhaps prone to racing with his heart not his head.

Machado sounds like an agressive rider and exciting prospect with a recent 3rd overall at the Vuelta a Algarve behind Contador, LL Sanchez and ahead of Leipheimer.

Comments

• Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    Bronzie wrote:
    So the new recruits for 2010 are:

Frederik Kessiakoff (Swe) - Garmin - 29
    Tiago Machado (Por) - Radio Shack - 24
    Arthur Vichot (Fra) - FD Jeux - 21
    Rein Taaramae (Est) - Cofidis - 22

Who do we reckon is tipped for greatness, if any?

Taaramae sounds like a real potential raw talent - his first tests for Cofidis had them checking the calibration of the powermeter such were the numbers - although perhaps prone to racing with his heart not his head.

Machado sounds like an agressive rider and exciting prospect with a recent 3rd overall at the Vuelta a Algarve behind Contador, LL Sanchez and ahead of Leipheimer.

Why is Kessiakoff in this group?? a 29y old?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Arkibal wrote:

He only started road racing last year. Former mountainbiker.

Surprised that Taaramae is only 22! Thought he was a bit older than that.

Can I tip Valls and Keukeleire again?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Is this the Bronzie Fab Four? Who's picking this?

It doesn't really matter though. Taamarae is my pick for the future, of those mentioned. He's got real heart - literally riding himself to a standstill in last years Vuelta.

Rich's one to watch though is Peter Sagan of Liquigas. I was very impressed by his TdU showing.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Arthur Vichot.

He's already got the fan club.
  • afx237vi
    Also Rigoberto Uran. Been around a while already, but he's still only 24. 2010 will be his breakout year, mark my words :wink:
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    afx237vi wrote:
    Arkibal wrote:

Again, why is he in this group? He's not a young talent like the other guys?
  • samb01
    samb01 Posts: 130
    afx237vi wrote:
    Also Rigoberto Uran. Been around a while already, but he's still only 24.
    Uran turned 23 in january.
  • jimycooper
    jimycooper Posts: 740
    i think the good old Geraint will have a good road year

lots of potential in the TT's, and looked very good at the TOB. (i know not the biggest of races..)

could do a Wiggins? :P
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    jimycooper wrote:
    i think the good old Geraint will have a good road year

lots of potential in the TT's, and looked very good at the TOB. (i know not the biggest of races..)

could do a Wiggins? :P

His tank's too small.

Without getting all carry on...
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Arkibal wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    Arkibal wrote:

Again, why is he in this group? He's not a young talent like the other guys?

Its Procycling's pick and they've named him cos he's new to road racing, and clearly talented. So fair enough I think.

they had a former P-R podiumer (?) in an earlier pick so this is nothing new.

Strava is not Zen.
  • I'd like to point out my comments from this time last year re:Taaramae. Clearly someone at Procycling was listening to me ;)
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    The other year they had Hoffman (?) in his first year as a DS. If you read the foreword it says they don't have to be young but look interesting. I like this 'cos it gives some people to follow during their year and in the future ie Haussler.
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Ms Tree wrote:
    The other year they had Hoffman (?) in his first year as a DS. If you read the foreword it says they don't have to be young but look interesting. I like this 'cos it gives some people to follow during their year and in the future ie Haussler.

Didnt they also have Brad MaGee a year or so back as one of their fab four ?
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • afx237vi
    I'd like to point out my comments from this time last year re:Taaramae. Clearly someone at Procycling was listening to me ;)

I want royalties when Keukeleire kicks arse in Paris-Roubaix 2014 8)
  • afx237vi wrote:
    I'd like to point out my comments from this time last year re:Taaramae. Clearly someone at Procycling was listening to me ;)

I want royalties when Keukeleire kicks ars* in Paris-Roubaix 2014 8)

It's like when you support a band from when they first start out and then they have their first number one
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    afx237vi wrote:

It's like when you support a band from when they first start out and then they have their first number one

....and then you don't like them anymore cos they're too popular.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • LangerDan wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

....and then you don't like them anymore cos they're too popular.

Exactly!!! No I think he will be the best of the Four to be honest, although Kesiakoff interests me, he showed himself in the first week of the Giro last year. I feel a race like the Tour of Austria would suit him down the ground.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Surely Vichot is a bit of a mickey mouse choice. As far as i'm aware he's only well known because some aussies picked his name out of a hat and started a fan group (awesome idea).

Maybe someone like Guldhammer, Sagan or Van Garderen would be more likely to have some success. Sagan and Garderen have proven form so far but Guldhammer seems to be all speculation so far. Hopefully he's as good as they say and we can add him to the tasty bunch of Tour contenders in a few years.

Or what about Tom Danielson...... :lol:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Surely Vichot is a bit of a mickey mouse choice. As far as i'm aware he's only well known because some aussies picked his name out of a hat and started a fan group (awesome idea).

He was picked as one of the fab four before that happened....
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Oh rite. Wise choice by the aussies then.
  • ms_tree
    ms_tree Posts: 1,405
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Ms Tree wrote:

Didnt they also have Brad MaGee a year or so back as one of their fab four ?[/quote

Yeah your're right. I'd forgotten him! It was his first year at CSC/Saxo wasn't it but he didn't have a good time and started as a DS instead(if I remember right - I could go and find old mags and have a look but I have a life!!!)
    'Google can bring back a hundred thousand answers. A librarian can bring you back the right one.'
    Neil Gaiman
  • Bronzie
    calvjones wrote:
    they had a former P-R podiumer (?) in an earlier pick so this is nothing new.
    Dario Pieri - 2nd in 2003 P-R - but he spent most of his Fab Four season eating himself out of a job as I remember - poor show by the selectors at Procycling.
  • Bronzie
    RichN95 wrote:
    Rich's one to watch though is Peter Sagan of Liquigas. I was very impressed by his TdU showing.
    Good call!

Taaramae climbing with the best yesterday...........meanwhile Kessiakof climbed off after DNFing on stage 1's lesson in echelon riding.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Bronzie wrote:
    Rik Verbrugghe said Wiggins did the same at Cofidis, he'd consistently score the highest numbers at the training camp. But Wiggo was doing upper body work in the gym for his track pursuit goals, which meant his power-weight ratio dropped to a more normal level.