The Driver Who Ran Me Over Is In The Cells.....Now

2»

Comments

• You back on two wheels cornsnacks?
    Hope you've recovered enough to be so (long time now) and also that this tough but surely fair sentence does more than "send a message" in a world that's overflowing with unheeded messages.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    That is a great outcome.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    How on Earth could the guy plead "Not Guilty"? What the hell kind of defense could he possibly come up with?

The mind boggles sometimes.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    How on Earth could the guy plead "Not Guilty"? What the hell kind of defense could he possibly come up with?

I've heard of pleading "not guilty" as an automatic procedure, until you rock up to court, see who else has turned up (witnesses etc) and change your plea before the trial begins. The "not guilty" bit is just a time-wasting chancing your arm to see if you can get away with it.

Of course, no doubt I'll be shot down in flames in about 15 minutes....
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • Glad to hear you're ok! glad one has been caught and dealt with in an appropriate manner!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Result. At least he was insured. Ok he shouldn't have done what he did, but at least you won't be struggling for compensation. Make sure you get as much as you can as compensation is not huge even if a few thousand seems attractive now. Laibility will not be an issue. Don't accept the first or second offers. The insurer will simply be wanting to minimise what they now pay out to you. The psycho driver though won't be able to get insurance for a few years.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Result! Great news. I hope the insurers cough up a nice sum for you as well.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Greg66 wrote:
    He sounds like trouble in a pink sack. I'd be surprised if he can make it two years without triggering his suspended sentence.

+1.

Excellent result. Good luck with the insurance claim. Let us know how you get on.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    dilemna wrote:
    Result. At least he was insured. Ok he shouldn't have done what he did, but at least you won't be struggling for compensation. Make sure you get as much as you can as compensation is not huge even if a few thousand seems attractive now. Laibility will not be an issue. Don't accept the first or second offers. The insurer will simply be wanting to minimise what they now pay out to you. The psycho driver though won't be able to get insurance for a few years.

I don't really understand this "suck the b*stards dry" attitude. The driver's insurance premiums really won't change if you get £1k or £5k out of him. The only party that costs is the insurance company. And guess where they get their money from?
  • W1 wrote:
    ...I don't really understand this "suck the b*stards dry" attitude. The driver's insurance premiums really won't change if you get £1k or £5k out of him. The only party that costs is the insurance company. And guess where they get their money from?
    Of course you should "suck them dry" - it will increase that driver's premium considerably, (possibly even pricing him off the road - good riddance) and every other motorist's premium a little bit. Higher premiums encourages more careful driving, as maintaining a no-claims bonus saves more money. Also, not sucking them dry means you place little value on your health and safety (rather like our criminal justice system).
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    snailracer wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    ...I don't really understand this "suck the b*stards dry" attitude. The driver's insurance premiums really won't change if you get £1k or £5k out of him. The only party that costs is the insurance company. And guess where they get their money from?
    Of course you should "suck them dry" - it will increase that driver's premium considerably, (possibly even pricing him off the road - good riddance) and every other motorist's premium a little bit. Higher premiums encourages more careful driving, as maintaining a no-claims bonus saves more money. Also, not sucking them dry means you place little value on your health and safety (rather like our criminal justice system).

Did you not read my post? The fact that he has had a claim against him will increase his premium (probably to an extent that he's off the road for a while at his age, or maybe he'll be on the road but uninsured perhaps?) but the value of it will make little difference to his actual premium in this case.

Do you think people with protected no claims bonuses drive around being reckless? Of course not. People don't drive any more or any less carefully because of their insurance - not many people go out looking to have a crash!

And the phrase "suck them dry" implies getting as much as possible, not nothing.