Silly Commuting Lighting

Bassjunkieuk
Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Having taken delivery of my nice new bike light set this morning before I left for work and then fitting them during the day I got my first chance to give them a try this evening :-)

Whilst I was riding home I was rather pleased with the extra output from the front light (a Cateye EL320 vs. the EL-130 I had before) which casts a nice white flashing dot on the road about 2-3m ahead of me.

Now for me this was amusing as a flashing light on the floor is usually one of the first signs that I've got someone on my six or attempting to take my scalp so I see my new light as the SCR equivalent of a laser dot on a snipers rifle :-)

This in turn got me thinking, do any other SCRer's re-position their front light to either hide their approach or give their victims an early warning? Or am I just taking the whole SCR thing a tiny bit to seriously?

There have been occasional times when I've had someone's light appear beside my right leg and it certainly gets me going a bit quicker :-)
Who's the daddy?
Twitter, Videos & Blog
Player of THE GAME
Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5

Comments

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Had the flashing light on the floor beside me and it cdonfused me. Was wondereing why the streetlights were flashing white like my EL320 then the roadie rolled past as we slowed for a set of traffic lights. Cateye EL320 is a bloody good light.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    redvee wrote:
    Cateye EL320 is a bloody good light.

Until you try and use it in unlit lanes. Then it's bledy useless unless you're going at snail's pace, or the moon is full.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I'm a cityboy, I never venture out of town after dark, too scary :lol:
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    will3 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Until you try and use it in unlit lanes. Then it's bledy useless unless you're going at snail's pace, or the moon is full.

Same goes for the 520!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    will3 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

+1. For a commute, the 320 rocks. For unlit lanes on FNRttCs, I got a Hope Vision 1. Terrific output even on the lowest setting.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    StuAff wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

+1. For a commute, the 320 rocks. For unlit lanes on FNRttCs, I got a Hope Vision 1. Terrific output even on the lowest setting.

Snap.

are you riding my bike?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    will3 wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    redvee wrote:

Snap.

are you riding my bike?

Nope, I'm riding one of the bikes in my sig :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Not so much lights, but I do keep reacting to my own double shadow - you know when you cycle past a pair of street lights and two shadows swing round in front of you. Jumping out of the saddle only to realise the profile of the shadow looks strangely familiar :oops:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    rjsterry wrote:
    Not so much lights, but I do keep reacting to my own double shadow - you know when you cycle past a pair of street lights and two shadows swing round in front of you. Jumping out of the saddle only to realise the profile of the shadow looks strangely familiar :oops:

+1 Most often riding alongside Clapham Common as it's the only place where you get a lane to yourself!

Amazing what jedi-like skills of observation the seasoned SCRer develops :-D
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's kind of odd the step up you HAVE to make in light output the moment you leave the lit roads.

I thought my singleshot plus was fine - then I got a Vision 2. Good God that thing is like having a car dipped beam in front of you :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • wyadvd
    wyadvd Posts: 590
    I commute 10 miles on lit and unlit A roads (some dual carriageway with polish hgv drivers to keep me company)

I started off with an el320 till i realized i was blind for half of my journey, so I got a singleshot plus for my bars and put the el320 on top of my helmet so I could directit into the eyes of drivers waiting at junstions to stun they (theat really works btw)

then I nearly came off on a deep pothole with a lorry tailing me really close.

So "blow the expense" i now have an exposure maxx daddy and everything before me is as it is during the day ....better in fact. and a redeye behind ...its small but very intense so vehicles think you are closer to them than you in fact are if anything (better than thinking you are a motorbike on the horizon or a red catseye at the edge of the road)

the single shot plus is now on my helmet. I look like an alien but i can see where im going and cars on junctions seeme because i can see the whites of their eyes looking my way and very constricted pupils too.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    first ride home after dark from new place, and with traffic rather than just the park.

with a powerful light, yes gives warning to other bikes that they are about to be scalped.

But also a light with a fair oomph means traffic is more aware of you.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Unfortunately I find a lot of folks with bright commuting lights have them very badly adjusted and they are almost blinding for anyone coming the other way.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • roger_merriman
    Asprilla wrote:
    Unfortunately I find a lot of folks with bright commuting lights have them very badly adjusted and they are almost blinding for anyone coming the other way.

my main light is aimed at a point 10feet maybe ahead? I still travel though pitch black as well so I need it to be bit of both but it's less than the cars dipped so shouldn't be a problem unless low and very close.
  • asprilla
    It's mainly folks on MTBs I see in Richmond Park, who are obviously using their single track lighting for their commute. Head mounted units are the worst.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • roger_merriman
    Asprilla wrote:
    It's mainly folks on MTBs I see in Richmond Park, who are obviously using their single track lighting for their commute. Head mounted units are the worst.

ah righty, though i though most had if not a dip a easy off button? I assume they would have more than one?

but I rarely go to RP at night.
  • asprilla
    They do have a dip, but people rarely use them in my experiance.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    forgot to swap over lights this morning :( will have to travel back on the headtorch!