Fatality at High Holborn/Kingsway?

londonbairn
londonbairn Posts: 316
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
On my way home today, looked like a fatality just outside the station.

Does anyone know if it was a cyclist or ped?

Comments

• navt
    navt Posts: 374
    On the radio, this was reported as ped vs. car.
  • Tandam
    Tandam Posts: 2
    I witnessed the accident - a car mounted the pavement and crushed a woman between the car and the railings. It was her legs that were in the worst shape.

I've been trying to find out information about her - I would love to know if she's okay.

The driver looked in a bad way too - someone there said it looked like he'd had a heart attack which could explain mounting the pavement.

Was very traumatic and I just hope everyone was okay.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I saw a Mercedes with its rear right handside door missing.

I hope all involved are OK.

To be honest:

That crossing is a nightmare on any busy day - its right beside a tube exit which also adds to the large number of people there. The crossing is swamped with peds, they swarm around the railings and its a sorta-blind-sorta-looping bend which means vehicles aren't speeding when they go around it but do have to swing around it from what looks like nowhere. (For the driver/cyclist you can never tell if people are crossing or just hanging over it).

The crossing could stand with being a feet further along Kingsway to allow vehicles to enter the road and stop if they have to - doesn't help that there is a number of bus stops immediately after the crossing and not stretched along the road as this adds to traffic congestion.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Tandam
    Tandam Posts: 2
    Just heard that the driver died - the girl hit is okay but badly injured legs. Its so tragic.

I didn't actually see what happened until after the crash had happened. My thoughts are with both their families.
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    One of those freak accidents that you would never expect to happen, a driver to have a heart attack :( .

That junction is a mess, it's a mini version of the Oxford St/Regent St junction, there is complete disregard for lights, I never cycle remotely fast through there as you can guarantee someone will pull out in front of you.