cold feet

kev2b3
kev2b3 Posts: 159
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Started cycling to work this week and have suffered badly with cold toes. I have tried sealskin socks with waterproof covers over my shoes but nothing seems to help. Anyone have any ideas.

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    I bought a set of planet x neoprene overshoes on ebay, been toasty ever since.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Have you got enough room so you aren't restricting the circulation.

If it is very cold I don't wear my watch because it makes my left hand too cold.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Overshoes help some, but it sounds like you have those already. I wear two pairs of socks, shoes, and neoprene overshoes, and they're normally pretty good at the moment; I forgot them this morning and my toes were stuck together when I got to work.

What time do you leave in the mornings? What sort of environment is this? You're not in the Scottish mountains are you?

Many of the Sealskinz, while totally waterproof, aren't much warmer than standard thick-ish socks.

It seems to boil down to a combination of the following:

Amount of blood flow to your feet (which is affected by tight clothes for some people).
    Amount of insulation -- numbers of socks/overshoes and their insulation.
    Air flow -- most MTB shoes let through lots of air at the top.
    Wetness of your feet.
    How cold your legs are,.

I'd consider the following options in increasing cost:

Experiment with shoe tightness.
    Make sure your legs are warm.
    "Thermal" sock liners (layers help)
    Overshoes
    MTB-style winter boots (reportedly awesome).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • sally65
    sally65 Posts: 76
    merino wool socks. make sure you can wriggle yr toes in yr shoes. neoprane over shoes. its worked for me all winter. Ive not had cold feet at all even at -9.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Make sure you don't overtighten your shoes. Try putting socks between the overshoe and the shoe, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    well, you've missed the worst part of the winter so just stick with it as it's getting warmer? :(

Sealskinz with another set of socks beneath work ok for me. Although i do have a set of winter shoes which are thicker and more waterproof than the pair i wear during spring/summer/autumn. I have just switched away from the winter pair tho cos its deffo getting milder.

where are you based as this could make the difference if you are in say Helsinki? :wink::lol:
    FCN = 4
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    MTFU!! cant remember the last time I set off and it was above zero. For me Sealkinz socks and a pair of GoreTex boots have been fine and toasty, even down to -6C in the mornings. Did get cold feel before but none this winter. Boot are quite loose but airtight, as are the socks.

Hopefully not much more sub zero..... :?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • jthef
    jthef Posts: 226
    For me it's woolie bollies http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/Defeet-SOCKS-Defeet-Woolie-Boolie-Socks/DEFEZSOC250
    and a pair of Adidas over shoes found them better than the neoprene I had especially in the rain.
    Feet have been warm all winter for the 50 min commute :D , on longer runs feet some times do get cool :( .
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I wear Wright socks (http://nyackgeneralstore.com/Wright-Soc ... EHXM9U.htm) under my Sealskins. Because they consist of two very thin layers of cotton they trap aire very well and don't restrict circulation. I find them a lot better than putting a wooly sock or similar under a Sealskin.

I also wear Lake MX130 MTB boots, which helps with the wind and the wet.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX