14stone 23year old. Help

2»

Comments

• I'm the same 'churchygti', 14 stone and 23 years old (6ft though, so not as much of a fatty!).

I was 15, 2lbs, about 2 months ago. The key to my weight loss is calorie counting. I have a spread sheet that I use to record my intake.

th_Untitled.jpg

I also swim 4 miles a week, and walk about 10 miles a week. Generally I try to under eat by 5000 calories a week (instead of 17500 calories, 12500).
    <hr noshade size="1"><font color="purple"><center><i><b><font size="2"><font face="Times New Roman"> "Boggis and Bunce and Bean. One fat, one short, one lean. These horrible crooks. So different in looks. Were none the less equally mean."</font id="Times New Roman"></b></font id="size2"></i></center></font id="purple">
  • Gilesw2010
    Gilesw2010 Posts: 121
    A 'Balanced' diet is the key - a portion of protein (i.e. fish/lean meat), carbs (pasta/veg/potatoes/rice etc) and healthy fats and its better to 'graze' during the day - ie 4-5 smaller meals equally spaced throughout the day rather than 3 larger meals each day.

There is a load of information around the web with information on the right foods to eat and those to avoid.

Combine this with a structured exercise plan and you'll reach your goal in no time.

Good luck
  • I'm the same 'churchygti', 14 stone and 23 years old (6ft though, so not as much of a fatty!).

I was 15, 2lbs, about 2 months ago. The key to my weight loss is calorie counting. I have a spread sheet that I use to record my intake.

th_Untitled.jpg

I also swim 4 miles a week, and walk about 10 miles a week. Generally I try to under eat by 5000 calories a week (instead of 17500 calories, 12500).

thanks for the comments i find your calorie counting a good idear is there anyway i can get a copy of your excel calorie count i.e. the bit on the left for each meal. thanks
    The beast rocks (High lodge)

Hardrock 09 - Rockshox Dart 2
  • LeglessElephant

im glad im not the only one its hard to get myself motivated and wish i had more energy after work to be honest hoping the summer will sort that out. thanks

• churchygti wrote:
    I'm the same 'churchygti', 14 stone and 23 years old (6ft though, so not as much of a fatty!).

th_Untitled.jpg

thanks for the comments i find your calorie counting a good idear is there anyway i can get a copy of your excel calorie count i.e. the bit on the left for each meal. thanks

Yeah you can, just PM me your email address and I'll send it over. Do you have Excel 2007 or an older version? Its not a problem I just need to know what format to save it in.

Also there's an exercise bit of it, and a summary that counts the calories consumed minus excercise, days under eaten, total calories consumed week by week etc...
    All the other stuff is probably totally unnecessary, but I find the 'under eaten by x days a week bit' quite good to aim for.
    <hr noshade size="1"><font color="purple"><center><i><b><font size="2"><font face="Times New Roman"> "Boggis and Bunce and Bean. One fat, one short, one lean. These horrible crooks. So different in looks. Were none the less equally mean."</font id="Times New Roman"></b></font id="size2"></i></center></font id="purple">
  • ireland57
    ireland57 Posts: 84
    Congratulations on your great effort fellas.

Only small steps....?

Those first ones you've taken are huge.
    After that it's small ones.

I absolutely take my hat off to anyone who makes the decision to take control of their life.

Fwiw when I get a sore throat it's sometimes the body saying ease off a little. When I ignore it completely it can become a runny/blocked nose then if I still ignore it, a head cold.

If tiredness comes after every workout back off a little, maybe have a rest day in between some of them.

This is a lifetime thing. Have fun, enjoy the ride.
  • bill_gates
    bill_gates Posts: 469
    churchygti wrote:
    i have also stopped smoking last month and starting to feel a little better. i hope you can see im giving this changing my life a big try.

Good on you. I was also once a smoker and always feel good that I managed to kick it but that others are trying hard too. Keep at it. 8)

My trouble was that I swapped Regal Kingsize for Salt & Vinegar McCoys and it was as difficult getting off those as it was the dreaded weed. :lol:

"I like riding in my car, it's not quite a Jaguar."
  • To the fantastic mr fox.
    I had a brief look at that diet screen shot that you posted. Not knowing how much exercise you do (and assuming you are a guy) I would say that you are eating too little. There are benefits to a calorie controlled diet and you are living proof of that; having dropped weight. But there are also follow on concerns with regards to how you lose the weight (what your body breaks down to make up the deficit in your diet) and how easy it is to keep it off later on.
    Personally I would recommend more exercise and less of a diet (though don't drop it entirely), the idea being that by increasing your exercise you have more muscle mass and a greater base metabolic rate so burn off more energy every day.
    I'm not posting this to rubbish your efforts, but more out of concern for healthy weight loss, so feel free to ignore me but I'm happy now.
  • Skippy2309
    Skippy2309 Posts: 426
    As they say small steps is the way forward, eating more often helps as well instead of 3 meals try 5/6 small ones, same calorie intake yet you keep your metabolism ticking over, green tea also helps keeping it going as well (read the ingredients on the magic weight loss pills :lol: )

it also helps to mix up the training, so do some stuff that works your upper body as well as your legs, you can burn more calories and your body will keep on craving energy even when your no longer exercising.

as for me, 5'10, 13.7 stone, at the moment a little more fat than usual about 10% and lost a little muscle as I have been out of training, still have the same waist to hip ratio, 28" waist 38" at the hips. back on the bike friday for a 20mile spin.
    FCN: 5/6 Fixed Gear (quite rapid) in normal clothes and clips :D

Cannondale CAAD9 / Mongoose Maurice (heavily modified)
  • Hello people an update,

i have been to the lake distric this week monday to friday i climbed mount hellin fell and jumped in ULLSWATER lake extremly cold, i have lost a little weight and enjoy the sights. amazing with snop toped peaks.
    thanks

• Ive had a look at the sheet as well and i dont think that you are eating enough !

Whilst exercising or upping the anti in preperation for a swift bout of strenous exercise
    "i find all exercise strenous" i tend to eat more, eating less will definately result in lack of energy and an unwilling attitude to getting in the saddle and hammering the trails.

There is information aplenty upon many of these pages contained within this forum, the internet for obvious reasons has plenty more, the benefit you will receive from this Forums Members altho not scientifically proven may prove to hit the nail on the head because it is Biking Specific !
    Dont worry about the intake too much as long as you are eating a healthy & just as important Balanced diet !
    Worry about the XS calories as you hammer round your local route i guarentee after no more than 5 mins you will be away with the fairies as your mind empties and the lactic acid kicks in !

For a more erm well rounded approach seek out a dietician or a nutrician expert type person tell them what you want to achieve and then see what they produce ?

Good luck tho and Enjoy the Riding !
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    I've lost three and half stone since June last year but to be honest I haven't lost any more since Christmas as haven't been able t exercise since a bit of a health problem.

But anyway when I started I was over 17 stone. It's as simple as this to loose weight.... burn more calories than you put in your face. You REALLY need to carefully track how many calories you are eating each day. I bought a program for the PC called fitday (www.fitday.com) which can also be used for free via their website but the standalone program is truly excellent.

I'm living proof that a fat git who is too lazy and wants to change can, PM me if you wan tto know some specifics. Basically I used the program, watched what I eat and exercised every day, ten mile bike ride one day and light weight training the next for tone. I didn't diet, a diet is not going to work, you need to change the way you eat as you have to sustain this for ever. cut crappy snacks and fill up on anything you could wash under the tap without it falling apart.

Good luck fella, it can be done!

RockingDad
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe
  • RockingDad
    RockingDad Posts: 239
    Oh and don't think that eating less or starving yourself will work.... it won't, apart from feeling faint and crappy your body will store every single calorie it can as a reserve as it thinks it's in a famine (goes back to caveman times apparently).

at 14 stone you should probably be eating around 1700 calories a day to support a weight loss of around 2 pounds a week, but go on the fitday site and it will calculate this for you easily. Your aiming for a loss of a pound or two a week
    2010 Carrera Fury
    1992 Raleigh Equipe