SCR Acronyms

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Though not officially a SCR'er, I take a passing interest in the SCR thread as much of the action takes place along my route. There seems to be a lot of accepted acronyms used for roads, like HSK, DSC, RAB, etc. Half the time I have no idea of the places being referred to. Should there not be a glossary for these acronyms? Or are they deliberately kept secret, a bit like TT course references, to stop outsiders from getting word of what's going on?

Comments

• Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    Everyone who commutes is involved in SCR... :wink:
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    A London AtoZ should help you out with most of them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I think a list of SCR acronyms on a sticky would be a good idea to help out the newbies/non-londonites and dispel some of the cliqueyness concerns...
    Rules are for fools.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    OK: From my commute:

Every morning I pass a WBSO, someone walking their BSO.

I have no idea why, but guess his FCN should be about 40, somewhere below mobility scooters.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yep, fair play! A sticky is a good plan.

I guess a lot of it is that they're accepted London landmark roads, so us london folk know them...

HSK = High Street Kensington
    TCR = Tottenham Court Road
    DSC = Death Star Canyon - not exactly sure where that is, suspect it's part of the embankment
    RAB = roundabout
    SheBu = Shepherd's Bush

What else...

Oh, the Bolan death Bridge - don't know where that is, think it's somewhere near Putney.

Any others?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    One I'm quite familiar with these days (if not actually getting there the shortest way from Waterloo)- HPC. Hyde Park Corner.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • lost_in_thought
    jimmypippa wrote:
    OK: From my commute:

Every morning I pass a WBSO, someone walking their BSO.

I have no idea why, but guess his FCN should be about 40, somewhere below mobility scooters.

BSO = bike-shaped object - for a fair while I thought BSO was a very crappy make of bike.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    NKR = New King's road in SW6 over Fulham/Chelsea way.

I go nowhere near this but I do ride another NKR = New Kent Road in SE1
    FCN = 4
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    What's so deathly about Bolan Bridge? Incidently, it's on Queens Ride in Putney.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I'm not a London commuter but:

OKR = Old Kent Road

It's on Monopoly innit :P
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Of course, RP - Richmond Park

Which annoys me because i can't use it for my local (Regents Park)
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Where is the DSC, I've never heard that one before. Also, do you have to turn off your cycle computer when you go down it?
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:
    What's so deathly about Bolan Bridge? Incidently, it's on Queens Ride in Putney.

It's full name, I think coined by Greg T, is Bolan Death Crash Bridge. It's where Marc Bolan's car crashed into the tree on the slope down as you're heading home.

Death Star Canyon begins where the road bends right after Vauxhall Bridge Lights ("VB" being Vauxhall Bridge).

LBR = Lambeth Bridge Roundabout.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp
    Asprilla wrote:
    Where is the DSC, I've never heard that one before. Also, do you have to turn off your cycle computer when you go down it?

:lol:

Yes. It's too dark to look at the computer. So, yes, you use The Force and just hammer it. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Asprilla wrote:

Marc Bolan, the T-Rex singer, was killed when the Mini he was a passenger in crashed after losing control on the bridge, hence the name.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    edited March 2010
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Marc Bolan, the T-Rex singer, was killed when the Mini he was a passenger in crashed after losing control on the bridge, hence the name.

Don't know if this is even vaguely relevant, but apparently Cozy Powell's last words, as he suffered a blowout in his Saab (heard via the mobile he was holding, whilst driving without a seatbelt and over the alcohol limit, in excess of 100mph on the M4 in bad weather) were "Oh shit!"

Cheers,
    W.

Edit- interesting I didn't write "oh shoot", there... the board has edited it for me.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Don't know if this is even vaguely relevant, but apparently Cozy Powell's last words, as he suffered a blowout in his Saab (heard via the mobile he was holding, whilst driving without a seatbelt and over the alcohol limit, in excess of 100mph on the M4 in bad weather) were "Oh shoot!"

Cheers,
    W.

In the circumstances, I'd say that was quite restrained of him :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    FYI if you put '[ /i]'without the spaces inside a word it skips the spell checker

Ideal for shooting the shit hehehehe
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373

Excellent idea, we could put it up a the top of the page and call it, I don't know maybe something like 'Information for beginners'

That was my first go at forum sarcasm, normally I aim for cheeky/whimsical.

I really don't think its me, it's more of an Always Tyred sort of thing.

Obviously if you were also being sarcastic I will be swiftly deploying the Supersonic 'Only Joking' escape
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • cjcp
    kelsen wrote:
    a bit like TT course references, to stop outsiders from getting word of what's going on?

:lol:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought

Excellent idea, we could put it up a the top of the page and call it, I don't know maybe something like 'Information for beginners'

That was my first go at forum sarcasm, normally I aim for cheeky/whimsical.

I really don't think its me, it's more of an Always Tyred sort of thing.

Obviously if you were also being sarcastic I will be swiftly deploying the Supersonic 'Only Joking' escape

:lol::lol::lol:
  • cjcp
    +1. :lol:

Fair play, WMC is on fire this year. His No Emoticon Policy appears to be paying dividends.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    :D I love some of these names!

How did Death Star Canyon come about? Presumably to do with the volume of traffic along that stretch?

And where exactly is the Drag Strip?
  • cjcp
    kelsen wrote:
    How did Death Star Canyon come about? Presumably to do with the volume of traffic along that stretch?

Again, Greg T, I think. That section of Grosvenor Road is dead straight, with trees overhanging on the left, buildings on the right, with a lot of traffic. And the road quality is cr@p.

I think it's a generic terms for the whole of Embankment.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Again, Greg T, I think. That section of Grosvenor Road is dead straight, with trees overhanging on the left, buildings on the right, with a lot of traffic. And the road quality is cr@p.

Although it can also apply to Balham High Road, south of Balham Station.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

Although it can also apply to Balham High Road, south of Balham Station.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    Actually, I think you're right. Ignore my post.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • cjcp wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

I think it came about originally because there were some roadworks on that section, with some steel fencing on the left. So as you entered it, it narrowed and became high-sided on one side.

Or something. I forget a lot of things these days.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • cjcp
    Greg66 wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    kelsen wrote:

I think it came about originally because there were some roadworks on that section, with some steel fencing on the left. So as you entered it, it narrowed and became high-sided on one side.

Or something. I forget a lot of things these days.

There were roadworks there??! :o Jeez, that road really did go by in a blur :wink:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."