High Melton Doncaster Help

churchygti
churchygti Posts: 84
edited April 2010 in Routes
Hello,

i live in cambs during the weekend n vist thetford forest every weekend, but i have just started studying at robin hood airport and my accomidation is at high melton (Nelson block) in doncaster can anyone help me with any routes or local places at high melton were i can ride thanks.

Any detailed descriptions will help as i dont kno the area at all been there 1 month now and have 7 months left.
The beast rocks (High lodge)

Hardrock 09 - Rockshox Dart 2

Comments

• Any1 got any comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    There's High Melton woods Country Park nearby which will be fire-track type stuff.There's some jump stuff in Steetley Quarries IIRC but not a much else.Depends what you want if you have a car etc?
  • can i cycle to these places from high melton thanks for your help so far.

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    High Melton woods country park is a half mile north of the village and Steetley Quarries is near Conisborough about 3 miles away.The Trans-Pennine Trail(Dearne Valley Way)also runs through Conisborough.The TPT runs from Southport to Hull so if you get on it and cycle either east or west you'll get a steady ride.Its nothing technical but will take you off road.
    http://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/
    If you have a car there's Sherwood Pines at Clipstone near Mansfield or the Peak District west of Sheffield.
  • Thanks people

• zedhead
    zedhead Posts: 109
    I was in Nelson at High Melton about fourteen years ago...
    Go out of campus gate - turn right, first right, left at tee junction at end (resisting temptation to turn right and go to pub, where Shane watsisface from Hi-de-hi used to drink), down road to twisty bit and turn right, heading towards river. past pub (temptation again) then turn right over bridge over river. Peel off right at the first hairpin bend and take track alongside river, have a play in the old quarry on left, the rejoin tack alongside river and ride for as far as possible. Numerous tracks along here, and lots of drops in old quarries.
    After prolonged rain the riverside track does get flooded.
    Early Orange 5, Felt Z85, Scott Thicko, modified Giant full suss (both nicked)- beat-up single-speed rigid 1992 Saracen (scrapped), and various 2-wheelers with big engines
  • tenchi
    tenchi Posts: 52
    Owdoo :)
    Had a look at os maps and there are loads of routes around that area! :wink:

I have been planning to have a look around that way for a while. I will sort a route out in the next few weeks, will get in touch when its sorted :)
  • tenchi wrote:
    Owdoo :)
    Had a look at os maps and there are loads of routes around that area! :wink:

I have been planning to have a look around that way for a while. I will sort a route out in the next few weeks, will get in touch when its sorted :)

Please do this sounds good let me know if you find anything thanks.

• tenchi
    Sorry for the delay :( Are you able to get out late afternoon?
  • tenchi wrote:
    Sorry for the delay :( Are you able to get out late afternoon?

yea nice one have you found some route. thanks

• tenchi
    Yes found some routes, but trying to get rid of some of the road work :wink: How many miles do you normally ride (or how long) Planned a route of about 20 mile so far.
  • How did you get on ?

I live on the road to Steetley Quarry, i,ve ridden there for Erm many years now !

There are some decent routes to get the legs spinning as already said on the TPT and then past the other pub THE BOAT INN up the hair pin bend and take the track under the A1 and back round.
    If you are at Robin Hood then Sherwood Pines isnt that far away but then again neither is Wharncliffe !
    As stated by ibbo68