Another SMIDSY crash and its aftermath

dewei
dewei Posts: 172
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Another "Sorry mate,I didn't see you" - with me being the target.
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=52.407937,-1.97567&spn=0.001008,0.002835&z=19
On Wednesday morning, I decided to go on an extended training commute as part of the preparation of MadMarchHare sportive this Sunday. I normally avoided double carriageways but decided to use Bristol Road S in Birmingham as the fastest route to the Lickey hills for some climbing. It was 7.45am, already bright enough for cars to have lights off. I had a hi-viz jacket and flashing lights front and rear. A car driven by a newly qualified driver pulled out from rest position at the double stop line in the central part of a double carriageway to go on a side road on my left. I was going along the left hand lane on the double carriageway. I had right of way ( but does that mean anything?). She pulled out just as I was approaching the sideroad. I try keep an eye on such 'waiting' cars right and left. I did see the last minute pulling out of the blue Nissan Micra and managed to brake a little bit and swerve left to have a side impact with the left front door rather catastrophic frontal impact. My right side of the body took the blow, I was thrown off the bike and landed on the tarmac and rolled once into the side street. The helmet cushioned the head impact but I had some superficial laceration to right face, laceration/bruised right hip/waist and knee, palm of right hand. No bony injuries or nect/back injuries - Thank God.

I was coasting downhill but not pedalling given there were cars getting in/out of a petrol station just before the side road. Maybe if it was on the flat with a lower speed I would have had more time to minimise the impact.

There was actually a Fire Station at that same junction. The girl driver and her Mum came out of the car, called 999. But some fireman came out with their first aid kit before the phoe call was over. Soon there was a fire engine blocking the entrance to the side road, 6 or so firemen standing with the ambulance paramedics and the police. I knew I did not have anything broken but the pain was so bad that I dared not move except to note the car registration. I was checked in A&E. just lots of bruises on the ride side: face, palm, ribs, hips, knee... The police did their job, they visited me in hospital and handed over the details of the driver. they looked bored and slightly sullen. The firemen, paramedics and hospital staff were warm and good.

I am pursuing a claim through the CTC for the injuries and the bike (buckled wheels, shredded mudguards, bent derailleur hanger). The frame/forks look intact but will have to be written off given carbon forks and rearstays. I was not a CTC member, I am now. They have agreed to take on my case.

Back at work today- just able to limp fast enough for that.
I can't wait to get better and be back on a bike - been waiting fr the nicer weather for so long. However, the biggest blow for me is that all my next of kin are expecting me to stop cycling - completely. Even at work I can hear the un-uttered "You have not cycling again?" My wife has been quietly supportive only to let my parents, brothers and in-laws say that I am irresponsible for cycling on the road,that I should use the car, that I am selfish ans stubborn, that I did not heed their warnings, that I might have been killed etc etc

I am should be and I am so thankful and happy that I am alive and rather well. :D

But I feel in the dumps regarding my cycling future. :cry:

Comments

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    glad you are ok and everything goes smoothly for your recovery.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Ouchy. Glad you're mainly OK.

I used to cycle along there quite a lot; you can get plenty of speed up...

I'd ignore the comments as much as possible. Any activity has a certain element of risk and, statistically, cycling (even in south birmingham) is pretty safe.

Chin up :)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Glad you're ok and that the situation will eventually be sorted, but I wouldn't give up on the cyling as you clearly love the activity. Some healing time out will help think things through and let the family 'relax' a little, maybe.

I understand the family pressure though, but I'm single with no dependents and have private medical and NHS cover :wink:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Sounds awful.

Glad to hear you're OK.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Bad luck, but glad you are ok. You just have to ignore the friends/family/colleagues on this one I'm afraid. I argued with them after my prang and it ended up getting rather heated, coming to a head over xmas dinner when I pretty much exploded! Either that or point them in the direction of some stats re cycling and injury etc, they'll either see sense or realise that there's nothing they can do to stop you. My girlfriend was delighted to see me back on the bike because 3 months off turned me into a miserable, grumpy old git.*

*ok, grumpier.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    My girlfriend was delighted to see me back on the bike because 3 months off turned me into a miserable, grumpy old git.*

*ok, grumpier.

:shock: When you have to put the number 4 in front of another number for your age come talk to me :)

Whippersnapper :roll:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Ask if any of your relatives or their friends have crashed a car.
    When they say yes, feign shock that they still drive.

Would I be right in asuming the Police won't be prosecuting the driver?
  • I'd be twice as annoyed at your next of kin than the driver TBH.

When I got knocked off in november the wife didnt even consider lecturing me, probably as she cycles a bit with me, but my parents and siblings and all my friends and work colleagues all knew and none even conveyed that feeling

Glad your ok relatively speaking.
    Its not a nice experience.
  • dewei
    You are right, the police will not be prosecuting the driver.

I have been thinking of the miserable, grumpy old git strategy but I am not sure I can keep it up for long enough.

I have done just over 2 years of cycling - 10600 miles. However, many people don't get statistics unfortunately. I have been repeating all the numbers to 'them' since starting cycling. Somehow, I feel on more shaky ground now after becoming one of the statistics. I think they might grap that the hit rate for cyclists is relatively low. What cannot be refuted though is that any hit between cyclist and a vehicle invariably has a disproportionate impact on the cyclist.

Anyway, thank you very much for your responses. i just need a little pat on the back. :wink:
  • dewei
    I'd be twice as annoyed at your next of kin than the driver TBH.

When I got knocked off in november the wife didnt even consider lecturing me, probably as she cycles a bit with me, but my parents and siblings and all my friends and work colleagues all knew and none even conveyed that feeling

Glad your ok relatively speaking.
    Its not a nice experience.

You've hit the nail there. I feel being hit when already down.
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    sorry to hear that but glad that you got off relatively lightly.

Dont let the rellies get you down. Keep on riding.
    FCN = 4
  • My partner had an accident in his car today. He was not a fault. He had to break very hard and break - steer to avoid a very serious collision which could have resulted in him and the other driver being very seriously hurt.

You're right, no one asks if he's still going to get back in a car and drive. Of course he will. So why the assumption that cyclists (and motorcyclists) should give up 2 wheels just because they've had a spill? I'll not be giving up either until I'm too old and too grey to get my leg over.

Sorry about your accident. Don't feel depressed. You'll get back on the bike soon enough.
    Let this be a lesson - fireman = accident. Simple. (in my experience anyway). Glad that you are ok at least. Not a good day though.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Glad you are OK.

Keep cycling. I warned my wife when I got back into commuting by bike making a deliberate job move to achieve that. I told her an accident was likely again and was she happy with it - she was as the cycle commuting meant I was less stressed, ad could get back to my previous fitness levels....... 18 months later I was offed by a car fubaring my shoulder - still cycling 14 months later.

Nothing wrong with cycling, it's a good form of exercise. Had you not been a fit, experienced cyclist and an average Joe, your injuries would have been far worse.
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,707
    dewei wrote:
    many people don't get statistics unfortunately.
    They don't want to. They have a fixed view, and no amount of information from you will change that.

But it's your life, not theirs. If you decided cycling is too dangerous then you can give it up. It's not for them, concerned though they may be, to dictate anything to you.

Ask yourself: was there anything different you could have done? Good observation and anticipation, confident yet defensive riding and ensuring you are visible will work 99% of the time. You can't control the other 1%, but this applies whether you're cycling, walking or driving. It's a fact of life.
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • eltonioni
    eltonioni Posts: 82
    Give up what you love and you'll resent them every year that you aren't doing it.

If you get splatted tomorrow what will you care what they all think when you're compost?
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    glad your ok. Was it on the bristol road just past northfield with the shell garage and fire station there just before you get to kalamazoo??

Ive been using that route regular of late as part of my increased commute, and it can become quite hairy where them cars cross cos they seem to want to get to the intersection as quick as possible and dont think a bike can easily be doing 30mph+ down there. I tend to take the middle of the lane there and try make sure i get eyecontact with driver at the junction

I regularly cycle that way. If you want someone to ride around with for a bit to rebuild confidence just give us a shout

people know my love of cycling and have give up telling me to stop, they just think im mad!
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I agree that most will not care what statistics will say but just in case:-

I found these stats from the US (failed finding any from the UK).

http://danger.mongabay.com/injury_death.htm

According to these stats, cycling is far safer than driving, or walking. Should we give up these first?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Ouch glad you're ok overall, once you're feeling better get back on a bike you'll be ok

If you were a burd it'd have been some wierd fantasy with all those firemen etc :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Death rate of cyclists per km is higher than per km of motorists driving. But cyclists live longer as they are fitter and healthier, and kill less (other) people in the bargain.

Deaths caused by driving will however be higher than that caused by cycling, for the obvious reason that a large heavy vehicle driven at speed is going to do far more damage than a slower lighter cyclist, when it runs into something, hence all those stupid reports when there is a cyclist/HGV collision that the driver was uninjured. Plus the motorists will in an increasingly unfit society drop dead sooner, their atrophied hearts giving up.

Beats me then why cycling is considered more dangerous and driving safer, generally? Why driving is pushed by governments as the solution to transport needs (has to be, no other explanation for why public transport and cycling are such second class options and funded that way)

Completely illogical Captain!

But there you go...
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    really pleased you are ok.

When I was knocked off recently, I told my wife that I tripped up after locking the bike up. Either she believed me or didn't really want to know the truth. Anyway I had to buy new (carbon :wink:) bars and stem. I know she doesn't like me cycling but then it is who I am, and she knows and understands that. I suppose my end of the bargain is to be as vigilant and visable as possible.

Here's to a quick recovery
  • dewei
    andy83 wrote:
    glad your ok. Was it on the bristol road just past northfield with the shell garage and fire station there just before you get to kalamazoo??

Ive been using that route regular of late as part of my increased commute, and it can become quite hairy where them cars cross cos they seem to want to get to the intersection as quick as possible and dont think a bike can easily be doing 30mph+ down there. I tend to take the middle of the lane there and try make sure i get eyecontact with driver at the junction

I regularly cycle that way. If you want someone to ride around with for a bit to rebuild confidence just give us a shout

people know my love of cycling and have give up telling me to stop, they just think im mad!

Yes that very junction with South St.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&ll=52.407937,-1.97567&spn=0.001008,0.002835&z=19
    It was my first time on that road. I have been on double carriageways before numerous times but I cannot recall coming across this kind of junction. I always try to be as defensive as possible. I saw the first car cross, noted that the next car had moved and then stopped at the double line. There was no indication of any crawl across the line. Then she just pulled out real quick.
    Thanks for the offer. I do not think I am any more scred, just a bit wiser.[/url]
  • richk
    richk Posts: 564
    I've had a couple of dodgy moments at that spot. However, in my case both were cars coming out of the petrol station, then immediately turning left onto South Rd.

In a similar vein, you have to be wary of the queue for petrol backing up onto the road...
    There is no secret ingredient...
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Glad you are well. Hope you do get cycling again. You should listen to your nearest and dearest as they have you in their thoughts, but that should not stop you cycling, just take as many precations as you can.

:wink:
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    not the point i know but if ya gotta go ya gotta go and rather ya go doing something that you truly love doing,wich by the sounds of it you do love your cycling right! just be more aware if at all possible. Glad your ok, sounded nasty and take no notice of the negative comments from family they'll understand why you cycle and how much you enjoy it deep down.