David Lloyd Mega Challenge...

wayne65hen
wayne65hen Posts: 27
I am entering the David Lloyd mega challenge 120miles distance. Am I being optimistic believing I can ride it on a 53/39 chainset with a 12-25 cassette? :shock:

I feel I'm an above average sportive rider, but not thte lightest, should I opt for the compact chainset? :?

Comments

• Yes, or bigger sprockets than a 25 tooth. Some of the climbs in that part of Wales are rather brutal and if you have a steep stretch that has recently laid-down chippings on it (as happened to me one year) you'll need to be able to sit & spin. Also there's the 120 miles of the route to consider and the possibility that it might be less than perfect weather.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    wayne65hen wrote:
    I am entering the David Lloyd mega challenge 120miles distance. Am I being optimistic believing I can ride it on a 53/39 chainset with a 12-25 cassette? :shock:
    Yes - I'd go a bit lower than that unless you like having your cadence at glacial speed.

Just think yourself lucky you're not going up the Bwlch y Groes :)
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Yes definately. I have done gold rides in every sportive I have done including North WAles Gran Fondo (almost same route as D.Lloyd's) and the Marmotte and I would use either 39 x 27 or preferably a compact with 12 x 25. You will need it by the end because crunching up the climbs will tire you out and you will probab;y cramp on some climbs then.
    I can do all the climbs comfortably on 39 x 23, including Bwlch Y Groes and have done them, but not all in one ride!! That is very different.