Flat or clip in pedals?

fergusm
fergusm Posts: 7
edited May 2010 in MTB beginners
I have been riding with clip in pedals for a few years and am happy with them on easy terrain.

This morning I went to Swinley Forest for a couple of hours and after 5 falls and some battered knees I am wondering if I should switch to flat pedals when tackling the tricky stuff?

What's the opinion of the forum? Should I switch or is it worth persevering with the clip in pedals??

cheers

Comments

• GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    Very divisive topic this one :wink:

With a bit of practice you should get more comfortable with the clipless pedals on tech terrain, but if you really don't like it...
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    A personal choice, but I used SPuDs for years, then changed to flats.

I regularly go for a hack around Swinley, just a bit of fun, so don't really feel the need to get maximum efficiency out of every pedal turn.

What ever you feel comfortable with.
  • Phonk7
    Phonk7 Posts: 178
    Flats all the way, i endure the uphills for going down the other side...
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    All I use is flats with five tens and although I've never tried spds flats aren't as bad as people say. They are way more of a laugh on the way down and thats whats its all about anyway :lol:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Try them! Get a pair for 12 quid ie Wellgo V8, give them a few goes and see how you get on.
  • peter413
    supersonic wrote:
    Try them! Get a pair for 12 quid ie Wellgo V8, give them a few goes and see how you get on.

Make sure you stay away from those plastic pedals though :wink:
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    peter413 wrote:
    All I use is flats with five tens and although I've never tried spds flats aren't as bad as people say. They are way more of a laugh on the way down and thats whats its all about anyway :lol:

sorry to pick on you peater but this is a problem with alot of advice that gets thrown about on the flats or clipless debate...

If you have never tryed them you cant say whats better for you.

back to the OP follow supersonics advice hes normaly spot on the money.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • peter413
    peter413 wrote:

sorry to pick on you peater but this is a problem with alot of advice that gets thrown about on the flats or clipless debate...

If you have never tryed them you cant say whats better for you.

back to the OP follow supersonics advice hes normaly spot on the money.

I said that so he knew I hadn't ridden spds but I was also trying to say so long as you get the right technique than they can be really efficiant
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,787
    At the end of the day its personal preference, supersonic is probably right but some other alternatives. either get some knee pads to protect yourself, or maybe loosen the springs in the spds so that its easier to unclip so you can maybe do it a little quicker?

Or compromise, i seen someone with spds and one side he'd got flat platforms clipped on, i think you can get them from decathlon. Problem is these will be poor compared to proper platforms but give you the option to use spd or flat very cheaply, about £5 i think, personally i wouldn't use them but personal preference....

Or get some of the pop up spd pedals like these
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/mountain- ... edals.html

Or don't listen to me because I have way too much time on my hands to write all this stuff
  • finally went for clip on pedals about 6 months ago. Wear them all the time now. I've got fairly wide pedals so it's possible to still ride without being clipped in if you're on rough terrain.

Every now and then though, you're going to come across something unexpected, a deep patch of gloop or a dog coming the otherway, get caught out and topple sideways into the mud or a patch of brambles.

All part of the fun.
  • jweston
    jweston Posts: 37
    My personal preference is for clipin pedals, it's just what I've been used too for the last 20 years. However every time I've been down hilling I've gone for flats. For me the key with flats has been to use the right shoes with them. Something like 5Tens or Shimano DXs are perfect because they have a relatively stiff sole, with a soft tread that grips the pedals studs perfectly. Couple the shoes with a good pedal like the Wellgo or DMR V8s or V12s and you've got nearly as good a connection as with SPDs.

If you keep your heals down, push across the top of your pedal stroke, and then scrape back across the bottom like your scraping poo off your shoe, the only part of your pedal stroke not driving the bike forward is the bit up the back. Even in SPDs only fittest of the elite can get anything out of that?

Although I still use them, think SPDs are generally a little over rated :p
    ~Jessica
    Astounding Adventures
    Hill Walking - Mountain Biking - Climbing - Team Building
    http://www.astoundingadventures.co.uk
    Call free: 0333 121 2125
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Don't worry about other people's personal preferences. If you like being clipped in from your experiences of it to date, persevere with it and unclipping will soon become second nature.

If you feel you'd be more comfortable and confident on flats, get some good ones and persevere with them until you have the right technique. Only you can decide which is best for you.
  • starsky007
    starsky007 Posts: 185
    I thought the same a year or two ago, spd,s or flats?, so i tryed both. now i use flats in the winter because of the sticky mud about all the time :shock: and then change to spd,s in the summer months if its ever that dry in the summer. :D

it works for me. :lol: most of the time.
    nice new giant trance 3
    also ht coyote
    s-works epic 2008.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I will be trying spds this year for the first time....

not on the dh bike...i like to abandon ship in a real hurry sometimes.....but on the hardtail, I reckon it is definitely worth trying out, especially as suprsonic says if you can do it really cheaply.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    are you on multi-release cleats for your spds?

I'd try those first if not, then go for the cheap flats option if you still don't get on with them.
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I don't want to sound off topic here, but I think you might just need to work on your confidence. Unless you've found some place in Swinley I've never been (I'm assuming you're not doing the gaps or drops), you should just be fine clipped in.

By all means try flats, but you may find that persisting (I've spent plenty of time upside down like a turtle on trails/in bushes) is as good a fix as any. Also, if you can hook up with anyone from here to ride Swinley (or the Downs as there is a regular bunch of us out that way) with, you can see their lines and techniques. For me, I really just need to MTFU on my clipless pedals (I swap them out for quagmire conditions) rather than a complete conversion to flat pedals. Not saying it's the same as with you of course :)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Pure personal preference, I used to use SPDs, knackered my knee, now I use flats instead. Both have their advantages and disadvantages, but for mtb use the advantages of SPDs are smaller than on the road (where they just win, no contest) and most of the advantages can be duplicated on flats if you know how.

I reckon the best option is to ride with both til you're familiar and comfortable on both, some skills are much easier to learn on SPDs- smooth spinning, big circles, unweighting the back pedal- so even if you're a flats lover you might benefit from time on SPDs.

In the end i think SPDs are better but I prefer flats ;) Oh and don't let fanboys tell you you NEED 5 10s as some will, total cobblers, they're nice to have and I like mine but any sensible shoe will do the job- I forgot to take my 5 10s with me to Glentress on sunday, just rode in my smashed up old Vans, no bother.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    if your now talking about alternatives to five tens then I find my old Nike running shoes grip nearly as well but the five tens win hands down on looks :wink:
  • Atz
    One thing about running shoes is you don't get the same stiffness in the sole and a bit of power when you need to pedal.
  • peter413
    Atz wrote:
    One thing about running shoes is you don't get the same stiffness in the sole and a bit of power when you need to pedal.

I know that lol :lol:

The Five Tens are obviously better because they were designed for the pupose
  • Atz
    Well yes. But the tried and tested trip to TK Maxx for a pair of skate shoes does the trick as well. A lot cheaper too.
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    I'm still yet to lose my SPD virginity but would like to try them now the weather better and i'm doing longer rides, because of that I bought some Crank Bros Mallets and absolutely love 'em. Work with my normal running trainers, my work boots (when I cant be bothered to change after work) and will be good when I go for a pair of proper MTB shoes.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Which Five Tens are people using with their flats? My new bike will come with clip-ons but I'll put some Wellgo V8s on. I'm looking at getting the Freerider MTB or the Impact 2 MTB. Anyone know if these are a wide fit?
  • I've been running SPD's since I got my new bike back in Jan and also tried flats and after trying both i went back to SPD's. I just liked the extra pulling power you can get.
  • Wappygixer
    Wappygixer Posts: 1,396
    Hows about you just loosen off the spring tension or use Shimano SH56 multi release cleats which come olut easier than standard cleats.
    I've been using SPD's since the early 90's when they were first brought out and I can seem to fall off anywhere and still get out of them.This may just be down to spring tension.

On my work/winter bike I use the plastic platforms that clip into SPD's http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/mtb-cages-3885152/ they are ok for a couple of miles to work but I wouldn't want to rely on them on a trail.I'm still a little weary when it damp even after 3 years of using them.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    its hard to say, entirely personal really, i like flats, ad for years i was a flat only man, totaly on the "spd's are for roadies and suck, flats for the throne!" bandwagon, but since i tried spuds, i love them and i wont change back, at least not on my main bike....
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    I have SPD SLs on my roadie, but don't want to use any SPDs on my MTB.

I can only put my right foot down, left is too weak, and I have to jump off sometimes!

Have have Outland Kustom pedals on my Orange G3 http://www.allterraincycles.co.uk/product/116872.html

I got the special edition ones that look like wood 8)

They give superb grip, just from trainers, so I don't feel the need for SPDs
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • tiny_pens
    tiny_pens Posts: 293
    Interesting.

I must be a lot worse at riding than most of you. I'm just converting over to SPDs now because I am tired of my feet sliding off the pedals on the downhill bits but nobody seems to be mentioning this as a benefit. :(

Note to self. Practice more!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    That does just come naturally... I used to do it all the time, can't recall the last time I lost my footing though except when I've either a) smacked a rock a bit too hard or b) Done something stupid and lifted my foot off the pedal. Basically the more you ride the better you'll get at following the bike and the better connected you'll feel.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    Northwind wrote:
    That does just come naturally... I used to do it all the time, can't recall the last time I lost my footing though except when I've either a) smacked a rock a bit too hard or b) Done something stupid and lifted my foot off the pedal. Basically the more you ride the better you'll get at following the bike and the better connected you'll feel.

Totally agree. Used to slip my feet all the time on jumps and drops even with five tens :shock: but now I hardly ever do.

You get a feel for how to move with the bike after a while