If you don't see me online again...

suzyb
suzyb Posts: 3,449
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
it's because mother has killed me :wink:

I've decided to keep mini Giant in my room. I want to keep it in the warm dry house and not the cold damp shed. However I don't think mother will take too kindly to keeping a bike in the house. She's put up with it being in the hall for a week because the hybrid is still taking up the space in the shed. But once that goes she'll no doubt want the new bike consigned to the shed.

So I've decided to pre-empt that and move the bike to my room in the hope mother will see it isn't going to destroy the house being kept there and it can stay.

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Say that you've studied the insurance policy very carefully and that this represents the best way of saving money.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Actually, in all seriousness, most home insurance and a lot of bike insurance policies won't cover bikes that are in a shed.
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Just 'accidentally' burn the shed down. Its an easy mistake to make :wink:
  • sharm1969ca
    sharm1969ca Posts: 136
    ETA cover cycles in sheds and are very reasonable! sorry dude i know that dosn't help ya! :)
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    drape it with clothes like merriman does and say its an easily moveable clothes horse...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • suzyb
    amnezia wrote:
    Just 'accidentally' burn the shed down. Its an easy mistake to make :wink:
    Then father would kill me. He has a lot of tools in there.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Yeah!!! Fight the power!!!
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Present the case to her on a financial basis: If the bike is stolen from the shed, the wait time for the insurance company to pay out means extra financial outlay for you and a shortfall in household finances for her :wink:

+ wot MonkeyMonster sed removing references to Merriman :)
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I keep bike tools/spares in the kitchen cupboards/drawers :)
  • Cafewanda
    Aidy wrote:
    I keep bike tools/spares in the kitchen cupboards/drawers :)

You can do that because you don't share?
  • Aidy
    Cafewanda wrote:
    You can do that because you don't share?

Well, yes. It amuses my bikey friends when they come over.
  • Cafewanda
    Hmm, I could free up a cupboard and drawer in my kitchen too......... Not a bad idea!
  • Aidy
    Most of my bike maintenance happens in the kitchen, or the patio outside the ktichen.
    So it kinda makes sense to me :)
  • Cafewanda
    Hmm and removing oil/grease from the kitchen floor is better than struggling to remove it from the carpet (having not realised for a few days ) :roll:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Hmm and removing oil/grease from the kitchen floor is better than struggling to remove it from the carpet (having not realised for a few days ) :roll:

And this from a woman who cleans her bike in the bath - Suze - point out that keeping the bike dry and warm will reduce depreciation and there isn't room in the shed for you to use it on the turbo trainer you are planning to buy :wink:
  • suzyb
    I'm still here :D

When mother asked why the bike was in my room I simply told her it was so it was out the road. And she agreed it was getting in the way :)

Think she still expects it to be moved when I sell the hybrid but I'll come to that bridge when I get to it.
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Erm, N+1 keep both..........

When I lived at home, 2 of the bikes were in my room, one in the garage.....

Getting to my room (in an extended bungalow) meant bringing the bike down a long hall, through the lounge, up stairs at the rear of the house, through another room and into my bedroom..... did this every day...ahem...... hence the bike had to be clean before coming in....
  • Cafewanda
    Jay, the bathroom is for deep cleaning (ie chainset/wheels) and the kitchen will be for 'dry' cleaning/fettling. Plastic floor covering = easy clean afterwards and retained good humour :)
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Cafewanda wrote:
    Jay, the bathroom is for deep cleaning (ie chainset/wheels) and the kitchen will be for 'dry' cleaning/fettling. Plastic floor covering = easy clean afterwards and retained good humour :)

Of course - stupid of me :D:D Just envy really Wanda - the nearest my bike gets to indoors is the landing of the flats
  • Ceiling hook?
    Obviously, the distaff parent might find it too tempting and string you up by it, but surely worth a go...
    "Consider the grebe..."