Brompton vs. Dahon Mu?

Roastie
Roastie Posts: 1,968
edited October 2012 in Commuting chat
:?:

Reading the Win A Brompton thread prompted me to ask this quessie.

I've been pondering a folder for the last few weeks as there have been a few times when it would be really handy.

I've shortlisted it down to the Brommie vs. the Mu (mostly because I like the look of it).

Personally I like the Brompton because if the easy fold and compact size. I like the Mu because it looks good, and the hub geared models don't use a fiddly chain tensioner. Oh yes, and bigger wheels.

Specs of individual models aside - thoughts on the two?

ps. Quite tempted to get a Mu Uno and run it with a flip-flop hub hub...

Comments

• Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Yeah i'm torn between the Brom and the Mu XL Sport. Need to go and try them both out i guess.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Roastie
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Yeah i'm torn between the Brom and the Mu XL Sport.
    Do you know if anyone stocks the 2010 XL Sport? the '09 model has the Nexus premium hub, but the '10 model comes with Alfine...
  • Oddjob62
    Roastie wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Yeah i'm torn between the Brom and the Mu XL Sport.
    Do you know if anyone stocks the 2010 XL Sport? the '09 model has the Nexus premium hub, but the '10 model comes with Alfine...

No... i was going to go for the (no doubt) cheaper 2009 model tbh.
  • Oddjob62
    Or i was going to go silly and try the Speed Pro TT :P
  • Teuchter
    Teuchter Posts: 102
    I've not ridden a Brompton but I have had a Dahon Mu P8 (8 speed derailleur version) for about 18 months. In that time it's use has been as a second commuting bike that has the ability to get chucked into a car boot at weekends and occasionally be folded to go on busy trains if the bike racks are full.

The fold doesn't take long but as I only rarely fold it completely (mostly just fold the bars down to save room in the shed) I'm not an expert on that side of it and can't compare it to a Brompton. Everyone who has tried both say the Bromptons have faster and more compact folds and if this was my priority, I'd probably have gone for one instead.

When I use it for commuting, I do 20 miles a day on it with no difficulty. I'd say performance and comfort are comparable to a 26" hybrid type bike. I've taken it on longer rides of up to 30 or 40 miles without any problems. I did find the stock saddle (Biologic) to be very uncomfortable so changed this early on (currently got a chopped Brooks B17 on it).

Being hinged in the middle it does require some maintenance, especially if using it in all weathers but I've found this easy enough. I am used to spannering though and would happily do any bike job myself short of building wheels.

Looking back, a hub geared version would have been quite nice - cleaner when folded. I almost went for the Dahon Vitesse D7HG at the time. My main concern was ease of wheel removal when fixing p#nctures. The Schwalbe Marathon Racers on the Mu P8 are excellent however and I've only had one in several thousands of miles on the glass covered roads of Glasgow.

I find it a very nice bike to ride - great around town and in traffic and fast / comfy enough
    for longer rides.
  • Roastie
    Ta Pete!
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I had this quandry while I was contemplating a different commute. Where I got to was that a Brompton was probably the better option (frequent train travel so quicker more compact fold) but the Dahon looked better and was likely a better ride. Pretty sure I'd have opted fro the Dahon

:oops:

J
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    For £350 I am very tempted by the D7HG:

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/dahon-vitesse-d7-item131062.html
    and
    http://shop.ebay.co.uk/dickysbikes/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

The Mu Uno looks great, but it'll be £50 more and I think the D7HG would be much more useable for everyday commuting.

C'mon someone, talk me into buying one of them!
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!
  • Teuchter
    unscarred wrote:
    For £350 I am very tempted by the D7HG...C'mon someone, talk me into buying one of them!
    Still might get one for the missus who has trouble with gears normally. The ability to change at a standstill would help and being able to take both folding bikes in the car boot for weekends would be nice!

Found this photo online - could be a very practical load lugger though I haven't had success with panniers on my Dahon with a standard rack. A higher touring rack is available though.
    2913057900_896399f651.jpg

Folding bikes can be handy in lots of ways. I have a canoe and having a bike to cycle back to the car at the launch point after paddling down a river is handy! I couldn't carry a bike rack and the canoe on the car.so this wouldn't be possible with a 'normal' bike, even if it would fit in the canoe!
    3961596513_f8e17f5e9e.jpg
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    I rode a MU P8 (?) and Brommie P6 back-to-back a couple of years ago. It struck me that the decision is a heart v head one. The heart wanted the brommie but the head choice was the Dahon.

Both ride well for small wheeled bikes but the Dahon just feels built better. The Brommie, and especially the shifters, feels as if it's been built in a shed. Also, the fact that the Brommie starts to fold immediately you lift it is both a weakness and a strength.

Bob
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've only ridden a hub geared Dahon - what I can say is that it is OK but the range of gearing was rather limited; hard work on hills and slow on the flat. It seems OK but I could see myself buying a Brompton but not a Dahon. Apart from anything else, a rare opportunity to buy a British framed bike (I know you'd appreciate that Roastie!!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Have ridden a Brompton quite a lot and own a number of Dahons:

Brompton - fantastic fold, neat package, small and tidy the "envy" of all other folder makers. Made in Chiswick London, available in different colours and very much tried and tested. Surprisingly with a folder, not a lot to go wrong with it, few options in relation to handlebars and luggage etc.

Dahon - Mu is a nice bike, slightly bigger fold and less tidy than the Brompton. Bigger range of options from hub gears, to the "road" racey MuSL to the ridiculous (for a folder?!) bling of the MuEX. Dahon is one of the biggest manufacturers in the world, and seems to be pretty ethical too. They have recently moved their UK supplier from Fishers to someone else, so don't know how abouts they are getting on with service this year. If you buy one, really would rec you buy from a physical store as that will ensure you get best service if you have a problem (there are a number of proprietory parts on a Dahon inc folding bits). Fudges in London (sell on ebay etc) are probably the best bet - they also sell a wide range of Dahons too. Think they will probably do test rides if you were interested.
  • Oddjob62
    mroli wrote:
    Fudges in London (sell on ebay etc) are probably the best bet

Yes i've been looking at their website and was thinking of giving them a visit tomorrow... if i can get my lazy ass in gear :oops:
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Still halfway tempted by a Mezzo. I know that wasn't one of the options! :)
  • Teuchter
    I bought my Dahon cheap from an ebay trader and it did need a little setting up which would have been done by a more reputable bike shop prior to delivery. I was okay with this given the saving I made but if you're not mechanically minded, things may be different. Spoke tension was my main concern following lots of reports of breaking spokes on the Dahon forums (mainly on bikes not bought from 'proper' dealers). These would be set up properly pre-delivery by somewhere like Fudges.

I have ordered Dahon specific parts (replcement head bearings) from Fudges mail order and their service was good. If I was to buy another Dahon (e.g. for the missus), they'd very likely get my business.

I do like the look of Bromptons too and have entered that Guardian competition for one!
  • Just in case anyone is still interested in this ...
    I started my 'folding career' in 2009 when I bought a Ridgeback Attache (= Dahon HG7). Cycled amongst other things London to Paris (fundraiser) and coast to Coast. The bike did well, no problems, fitted larger chainwheel for added flat speed, which was ok but of course paid dearly up hills.
    I then succumbed to the temptation of a 2nd hand Speed Pro (2003/4 model) which is a nice ride. However, I have now decided to sell it for these reasons:
    1. the old Speed Pro doesn't have the magnetix setup, so in order to stay folded you have to use a bungee cord or similar
    2. more importantly - the click box SRAM system on the rear wheel is rather cumbersome to sort out when fixing a rear puncture. None of that problem on the Ridgeback with the Nexus hub.

So, decided to sell the Speed Pro (anyone interested?) and buy a Dahon Mu XL Sport, 2009 model from JeJames at reduced price (£500 instead of £900) with Nexus 8 speed.

Why not Brompton?
    1. 16" wheels even more unstable than the 20" wheels of the Dahon
    2. non-genuine parts make on tour repairs unpredictable
    3. watched the front bracket holding the luggage bag fall apart on recent ride with friends on folding bikes. The bracket is held in place with a self tapping screw (into hard plastic). Not good over time, why not build to last?
    4. similar things apply IMHO to things like gear changers - they look and feel flimsy, why not use something from another, experienced supplier like Sturmey, Shimano etc.?
    5. overprized, in my view.

Martin