Cycle2Work

Golden Rivet
Golden Rivet Posts: 7
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hello everyone - new meat on the block...

My company is starting the cycle to work scheme and have elected to use Halfords cycle2work as their supplier.

I'm looking at a 24 mile round trip commute on pot-holed cross country roads/lanes

Whats the best type of bike I can get for my 1000 Pound limit, whilst avoiding the ubiquitous BSO's. ( must be able to take light, mud guards and a cycle rack )

The Halfords website only shows they supply a few makes. Is this really the case ?

The clock is ticking 'til the 31st March deadline.

Thanks
your imaginary friend.

Comments

• Halfords will get in any bike you ask them to (well, almost any bike). Also, check your LBSs as some of those will also take the voucher and this will give you a much wider choice than the bikes stocked in that little section at the back of the motor spares shop. Bikes shops near me that I know take the Halfords vouchers are On Your Bike (London Bridge) and Condor (Grays Inn Road, London).

In terms of what bike? Given your description of your commute, I expect the caped ones* to come flocking soon. :lol:

(* those with a cyclocross fetish)
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    In terms of what bike? Given your description of your commute, I expect the caped ones* to come flocking soon. :lol:

Welcome!

I agree with THI :)
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Halfords will get in any bike you ask them to (well, almost any bike). Also, check your LBSs as some of those will also take the voucher and this will give you a much wider choice than the bikes stocked in that little section at the back of the motor spares shop. Bikes shops near me that I know take the Halfords vouchers are On Your Bike (London Bridge) and Condor (Grays Inn Road, London).

Aaaaah, damn you! Condor takes the Halfraud's voucher :| So that's me sorted for the next C2W, Fratello, here I come!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    Yeah but Condor's price increase is such that you might as well not be getting 40% off...
  • any opinions on the Boardman Pro CX.....?
    your imaginary friend.
  • goco
    goco Posts: 35
    holybinch wrote:
    Halfords will get in any bike you ask them to (well, almost any bike). Also, check your LBSs as some of those will also take the voucher and this will give you a much wider choice than the bikes stocked in that little section at the back of the motor spares shop. Bikes shops near me that I know take the Halfords vouchers are On Your Bike (London Bridge) and Condor (Grays Inn Road, London).

Aaaaah, damn you! Condor takes the Halfraud's voucher :| So that's me sorted for the next C2W, Fratello, here I come!

are you sure condor take c2w vouchers? I phoned them up yesterday and they weren't interested in my Evans vouchers. They said I had to get my HR dept to change the voucher
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    Condor do take the C2W vouchers - a colleague bought a Fratello this month using our Halfords scheme. He had to make up the difference in cash, but you can't argue really!
    Pearsons also apparently take the voucher.

I'm afraid the CX followers do have a point- you'll not go far wrong with a Specialized Tricross or Kona Jake for the money.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Bear77
    Bear77 Posts: 60
    Condor do take Halford's vouchers. £50 admin fee though.

+1 Fratello :)

So do Pearsons and, as above, On Your Bike.
    The revolution will not be televised
  • holybinch wrote:

That's what my voucher bought me! :lol: Though I think their prices have gone up a bit since and they, apparently, now charge an admin fee for taking Halfords' vouchers.

BikeHut were selling Condor bikes when I bought mine - I just preferred to get mine direct from source.

(@ goco. Condor takes Halfords' vouchers but that isn't the same as the Evans' vouchers. My firm has actually just changed to Evans as employee feedback was that the bike range was much better than at Halfords. (surely not ... :D )
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    any opinions on the Boardman Pro CX.....?

V good review in C+ a few months ago - nice spec - Rival groupo, BB30 etc etc. Probably lighter than a Tricross too (couldn't be any heavier :wink: )I wouldn't hesitate. ...
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000