Cycling Lawer blog

Clever Pun
Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
really good read (stolen from lfgss)

Really good comparison between convictions of cyclists and cars in the wrong.

http://thecyclingsilk.blogspot.com/2009/11/cycling-against-car-culture.html

Also the golf stat is gold
Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
Fixed Pista- FCN 5
Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's been posted several times already, here and in the road bit, but still a good link.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Clever Pun
    bails87 wrote:
    It's been posted several times already, here and in the road bit, but still a good link.

really? I'd not seen it and don't really head to the road section much
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Clever Pun wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

really? I'd not seen it and don't really head to the road section much

Nor me. But I'm sure it was posted on here, it wouldn't have been on the mtb side where I normally am. No matter, tis a good read.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    IIRC it was Cori who posted it a while back.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Clever Pun
    Shall I just edit it to a what tyres/lights should I get thread then? :P
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    The problem I have with the whole blog is that its credibility plummets the moment I read:
    Motor vehicles are furthermore a major source of carbon emissions, whose contribution to global warming is now surely doubted only by those with a strong vested interest and the mildly deranged.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    The problem I have with the whole blog is that its credibility plummets the moment I read:
    Motor vehicles are furthermore a major source of carbon emissions, whose contribution to global warming is now surely doubted only by those with a strong vested interest and the mildly deranged.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I chose to ignore it as the rest of the article is excellent.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Switch "global warming" to "pollution" and its a fair comment. Its all bad.
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712

I've tried not to bite but:

There is plenty of "untainted" evidence that global warming is real, mechanisms for it to be linked to increased CO2-levels, and times that fit with increased human emissions of CO2...

For example it is currently a very good period in alpine archaeology because ice cover is retreating, exposing artifacts from about 5000-years ago.

Whatever else is happening, the best explanation is that alpine ice cover is at its lowest for 5000-years.

(I can provide references if required)
  • Underscore
    Underscore Posts: 730
    jimmypippa wrote:
    There is plenty of "untainted" evidence that global warming is real, mechanisms for it to be linked to increased CO2-levels, and times that fit with increased human emissions of CO2...

Indeed, but to quote the open letter from the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster:
    ...global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters are a direct effect of the shrinking numbers of Pirates since the 1800s. For your interest, I have included a graph of the approximate number of pirates versus the average global temperature over the last 200 years. As you can see, there is a statistically significant inverse relationship between pirates and global temperature.
    PiratesVsTemp.png

I'm not saying that the theory of anthropogenic global warming is false but, as a scientist (well, engineer - but it's close enough since we're talking about pop-science), I view it as one theory amongst a few.

_