Can you fix a small hole in lycra?

Jamey
Jamey Posts: 2,152
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I've noticed a small hole beginning to form on the right thigh of my bib tights which is no doubt due to the awesome power output I lay down on a constant basis* but nevertheless said tights were rather expensive so I can't afford to simply replace them because of that.

Is it possible to patch or otherwise repair lycra in a way that will withstand the stresses of my attempting to pull the tights up my legs when I'm bleary-eyed in the morning and incapable of doing anything without resorting to grunting and brute force?

*Ok, I'll be honest, the hole is because I sometimes forget to close the pocket on my jacket and the velcro tab catches on the thigh section of the tights with every pedal stroke. I've now learnt my lesson and always zip the pockets closed but a certain amount of damage has clearly already occurred.

Comments

• essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I had a hole form in my neoprene overshoes (caused by a crash while wearing Sidi shoes with a latch on the side), for the past two years they have survived with a mega amount of overstitching over the hole, not pretty but does the job.

In the same crash I also put a hole in the thigh of some expensive Endura Winter biblongs, I phoned Endura and they sent me a patch of material the same as the longs...but I don't really know what to do with it...so overstitching on the longs it was too.
  • Jamey
    I don't know nuffink about sewing. What's overstitching?

I imagine some sort of female will be employed to fix these for me, since they enjoy it and their small feet allow them to stand closer to the machine, etc etc.
  • essex-commuter
    I may well have used the wrong terminology as I am a well 'ard geezer who really knows nothing about stuff like that. I got a needle and some thick cotton and went OVER and OVER the hole many times, in one side of the hole and out the other...that's my OVERstitching!

Small feet comment...you betta duck for cover! :P
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Either over-stitching or darning will do the job if the hole is a little bigger and needs spanning instead of just closing up.

Sewing ain't hard boys :P
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    I've fixed a small hole in a pocket with duck tape. Unfortunately, despite being supposedly waterproof it has to be reapplied after every wash (weirdly I never find the unstuck duct tape). I counter this by simply washing the trousers less frequently than I should.

I've been thinking there must a more proper solution. Could anyone elaborate on this 'sewing' thing?
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I(weirdly I never find the unstuck duct tape).

You will one day when you open up your washing machine innards and find them all wrapped around the drum spindle :)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Jamey
    What do you do with the ends of the thread when you finish sewing? How come they don't slowly unravel themselves over the coming months?
  • _Brun_
    Jamey wrote:
    What do you do with the ends of the thread when you finish sewing? How come they don't slowly unravel themselves over the coming months?
    Duck tape?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Can he have a haberdashery section please
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • _Brun_
    I think we need a section for requesting sections.

Or maybe recommending sectioning.
  • essex-commuter
    Jamey wrote:

I just leave the needle attached and put up with the pain. I'm well 'ard as previously mentioned.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Jamey wrote:
    Bless your heart..!

One technique is to sew lots of tiny little stitches on top of each other to finish off, takes AGES to unravel.

If you do that then take a final couple of passes of the needle perpendicularly through those stitches, then it holds even harder.

Alternatively you can try and tie a knot at the end of your stitching, but it's hard to get it big enough not to pop through the fabric, and close enough. One way is to hold the needle up tight to the last stitch, wind remaining thread several times around the needle and pull it through holding down the winding with your thumbnail.

This can work but can also not be great and you often end up with a knot too far away from the fabric - best to do lots of little over-stitches somewhere not so obvious.

BTW also darning - it's like weaving. Start on one side of the hole, and do figures-of-8 across the hole to the other side (ie. always pushing the needle through from the underside and pulling it out topside). Then, in the perpendicular direction, do the same but also weave in and out of the lines you've just made.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • essex-commuter
    sarajoy wrote:
    Bless your heart..!

One technique is to sew lots of tiny little stitches on top of each other to finish off, takes AGES to unravel.

If you do that then take a final couple of passes of the needle perpendicularly through those stitches, then it holds even harder.

Alternatively you can try and tie a knot at the end of your stitching, but it's hard to get it big enough not to pop through the fabric, and close enough. One way is to hold the needle up tight to the last stitch, wind remaining thread several times around the needle and pull it through holding down the winding with your thumbnail.

This can work but can also not be great and you often end up with a knot too far away from the fabric - best to do lots of little over-stitches somewhere not so obvious.

BTW also darning - it's like weaving. Start on one side of the hole, and do figures-of-8 across the hole to the other side (ie. always pushing the needle through from the underside and pulling it out topside). Then, in the perpendicular direction, do the same but also weave in and out of the lines you've just made.

Blimey, you is well good!
  • Clever Pun
    or you could take it to the local dry cleaners and they'll do it for about £2
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Jamey
    Ah, but will they do it as well as if I did it myself?

I mean obviously the person at the Dry Cleaner's will be a professional so technically they'll be better than me at sewing but it strikes me that what's required here isn't technical ability, just shedloads of stitches to make it as strong as possible, which will just take a little time and a professional is likely to be in a hurry to get as many (paying) jobs done per day as possible, aren't they?
  • Clever Pun
    Jamey wrote:
    Ah, but will they do it as well as if I did it myself?

I mean obviously the person at the Dry Cleaner's will be a professional so technically they'll be better than me at sewing but it strikes me that what's required here isn't technical ability, just shedloads of stitches to make it as strong as possible, which will just take a little time and a professional is likely to be in a hurry to get as many (paying) jobs done per day as possible, aren't they?

not in my experience :lol:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    _Brun_ wrote:
    I've fixed a small hole in a pocket with duck tape. Unfortunately, despite being supposedly waterproof it has to be reapplied after every wash (weirdly I never find the unstuck duct tape). I counter this by simply washing the trousers less frequently than I should.

I've been thinking there must a more proper solution. Could anyone elaborate on this 'sewing' thing?

I took the filter out of my washing machine the other day - I hadn't done so for literally years.

Can I firmly and urgently suggest you all do the same? :shock:
  • Jamey
    I actually want to take the filter out of my washing machine but can't find it. It doesn't seem to be on the front, along the bottom edge anywhere and I can't get round the back of it.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Jamey wrote:
    I actually want to take the filter out of my washing machine but can't find it.
    Google the model of your washing machine and you should be able to find the location of the filter.

Gents, I think we've found our resident BR forum seamstress. If there are any sewing jobs your too manly to do send them to Sara c/o The Naval Volunteer, King Street, Brizzle before next tuesday evening and whilst we're drinking she can stitch you lot up.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.