Recommend me some tyres

gene_poole
gene_poole Posts: 20
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi commuter folks,

I have a Giant hybrid with 700c wheels, I have some 42mm deep tread tyres for mild off-road use. However, I would also like a pair of fast tyres for road use. Any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Comments

• wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Gene Poole wrote:
    Hi commuter folks,

I have a Giant hybrid with 700c wheels, I have some 42mm deep tread tyres for mild off-road use. However, I would also like a pair of fast tyres for road use. Any recommendations please?

Thanks.

Maybe you could be a bit more specific about your requirements. Almost any 700c tyre will be better for road use than your 42s and most of them will fit.

How fast? How much load? How wide are your rims, and do you ride on puncture-prone roads?

Cheers,
    W.
  • Thanks for answering W.

How fast? Faster than the Maxxis Overdrive 35mm tyres that came with the bike, and fast enough to humiliate my workmates on their 26" balloons on planned bike day out. But obviously my bike is no road bike.

How much load? 14 stone guy (me) plus backpack with lunch and a couple of tools for punctures etc.

How wide are my rims? Err....dunno, but they are Alex G6000 700c wheels.

Puncture prone? Not especially, I was thinking of doing the Bath to Bristol cycle route, which I believe is paved all the way.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Well you could either go for some road tyres 25mm or 28mm or so on, or for some hybridy type tyres - I've use Continental travel contacts and Halo Twinrails. Both gave good service. I also like sport contacts.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Conti Gator Skins. Slick, fast and puncture resistant. Don't worry about the fact there is no grip on them - on the road its a bit of a myth that grip/tread makes any difference.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 300002585/

in the 700 x 28 will be like rockets for your bike.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Right, Conti Gator Skins ordered!

...and remember, to succeed is not enough - others must fail.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I found Gatorskins to be terrible. I got three visits from the p****** fairy within less than 100miles.

I'm now on Michelin Krylium Carbons on one bike and Conti GP4000s on the other.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • zcacogp
    zcacogp Posts: 36
    I put a Schwalbe Marathon Plus (700cx28) on the front of my racer/commuter bike a while ago, to replace a worn-out no-name thing on there.

It's terrible. Very heavy and much slower to ride on the road. I'm no cycling conoisseur, but even I noticed it immediately.

I've just moved it to the back wheel, and put a Gator Skin on the front (thus replacing another worn-out no-name thing) and am seriously considering buying another Gator Skin to replace the Marathon Plus (which can't have more than 100 miles on it, but which I am fed up with already.)

Oli.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I have Marathon Plus' on my station bike (known as the Gloucester Old Spot what with it being a rare breed of pig selected for it's ability to live outside in all weathers) but that's mainly down to that bike only every being ridden for a mile at a time. I wouldn't want them for a quick bike if I was covering distance.

The fit with the low maintainance ethic of that bike as well.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • benpinnick
    Asprilla wrote:
    I found Gatorskins to be terrible. I got three visits from the p****** fairy within less than 100miles.

I'm now on Michelin Krylium Carbons on one bike and Conti GP4000s on the other.

that sucks. I'm 1300 miles on mine, 1 puncture. Happy days.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Continental inners and Gatorskins every time
  • zcacogp
    zcacogp Posts: 36
    Asprilla wrote:
    I have Marathon Plus' on my station bike (known as the Gloucester Old Spot what with it being a rare breed of pig selected for it's ability to live outside in all weathers) but that's mainly down to that bike only every being ridden for a mile at a time. I wouldn't want them for a quick bike if I was covering distance.

The fit with the low maintainance ethic of that bike as well.
    Hmmm. The sort of thing I now know, but should have known before splashing out on it. It was pricey as tyres go as well ...

I'm wondering whether to buy another gater skin to replace it with, but I can't justify spending £20-odd on a tyre and only riding a hundred or so miles on it. Anyone want to swap a nearly-brand-new Marathon Plus in 700cx28 for a 700cx28 gator skin? No-one? No? Didn't think so ...

Oli.
  • benpinnick
    Having thought more on the matter, my 1 puncture was actually the valve coming away from the tube. Hardly a puncture to blame the tyre for. 1300 miles no punctures. Happier days.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.