The PF came to my house

ince
ince Posts: 289
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Today I fitted a new set of wheels to my GT. Took the front off, tyre off, pulled the tube out which had not been off for a while. Stuck the tyre and tube on the new wheel and started to inflate.

psssssssssssssss (1)

Took tube out and found a pinch puncher that had not deflated in the old tyre. Fixed the tube and set about the back wheel. Tyre on, tube in, inflated and all was looking good. about to put the wheel on the bike when,

psssssssssssssss (2)

Tube out, quick inspection revealed a weak spot where the tube had split across and when inflated blew into a big egg. Binned the tube. Got out new tube and fitted.

Back to the front wheel, patch looked good so refitted. Inflated and...

pssssssssssssssss (3)

patch had not taken well. Tube out clean up and re-patch. Leave longer to make sure it sticks this time. Back to the back wheel... it's gone flat (4)

Tube out, batman here managed to nick the tube when fitting. :( . Patch the tube and leave to set. Back to the front, re-fit the tube, inflate and all looks good. Fit to bike.

Back to the back, re-fit tube, inflate and fit to bike. Quick test ride and all is looking good. I head out for the rest of the day. Got back at seven and thought I'll just check the tyres. Front is flat (5). I gave up trying to fix the tube and fitted a new one.

I now don't have any spare tubes and my PRK is down to the last patch. :?

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Impressive, most impressive. The PF may have transferred her affections... You have competitiion ITB.
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    :lol::lol::lol:

No, I'm batman. I managed to stab a hole in a tube with a tyre lever thought 'fark it' and cycled a few miles on a flat tyre.

ITB, consider yourself dumped.
  • Well why are you using tyre levers in the first place? There aren't many tyres you need one on anyway...MTFU.... :roll:

Also, did you check the tyre? No hidden little blighters or anything? Do you inflate the tube slightly before pumping up? Just wondering.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Well why are you using tyre levers in the first place? There aren't many tyres you need one on anyway...MTFU.... :roll:

Ask JonGinge and Clever Pun if these particular tyres needed levers or not...
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Well why are you using tyre levers in the first place? There aren't many tyres you need one on anyway...MTFU.... :roll:

Ask JonGinge and Clever Pun if these particular tyres needed levers or not...
    You would have thought all the whisky would have numbed the pain: it didn't. It also didn't impart superhuman thumb strength ;)
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR just done a quick check, looks like the rear also has a slow leak. Oh well it will get me to work.

btw what are the best repair kits for 23 size tubes. Think I should invest.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I don't get it.... a week now i've been commuting on cheap Michelin tyres on some of the worst roads I've even ridden and nothing! I'm deeply hurt :cry:

As for repair kits Park tools pre glued are not what they used to be, if that's what you have try Lazyne they seem to hold much better.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    ince wrote:
    GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR just done a quick check, looks like the rear also has a slow leak. Oh well it will get me to work.

I use the ones in the green box. (Not very helpful, sorry.)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    ince wrote:

Might be time to invest in a pair of solid rubber tyres :wink:
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    What on earth are you lot doing wrong?!

It must be all that bad karma from turning the commuting board into Cake Stop MkII.

Anyway, ref. the OP's request for kit suggestions, I get my patches and vulcanising solution from here.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    itboffin wrote:
    I don't get it.... a week now i've been commuting on cheap Michelin tyres on some of the worst roads I've even ridden and nothing! I'm deeply hurt :cry:

As for repair kits Park tools pre glued are not what they used to be, if that's what you have try Lazyne they seem to hold much better.

I use cheap blizzards seem to cope with Surrey lanes plus welsh ones. Only visit by the fairy was due to the surface at Richmond Park
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    :lol::lol::lol:

No, I'm batman. I managed to stab a hole in a tube with a tyre lever thought 'fark it' and cycled a few miles on a flat tyre.

ITB, consider yourself dumped.

that noise still upsets me
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    cjcp wrote:
    I use the ones in the green box. (Not very helpful, sorry.)

The Tip Top ones?

tip-top-puncture-kit-tour.jpg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Thems the ones. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."