The Tour in 3D

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2010 in Pro race
Right, so some of the wooden circle egg and spoon events soon are going to be recorded in 3D. Probably for broadcast on Sky's new 3D channel.

French TV will be recording a portion of the Tour in 3D as well this year. Limited platforms it could go out on so I guess it'll probably be sold off post race or something.

Or they'll sell 3D rights separately.

Good news for us A/V nerds. Would be really good news if this A/V nerd could afford a 3D telly and the Sky upgrade.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Sky were filming at revolution in 3d on Saturday. Apparently they were doing a promo film or something.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    3d-tv-without-glasses.jpg

Mark Cavendish and George Hincapie get a sneak preview
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    iainf72 wrote:
    Right, so some of the wooden circle egg and spoon events soon are going to be recorded in 3D. Probably for broadcast on Sky's new 3D channel.

French TV will be recording a portion of the Tour in 3D as well this year. Limited platforms it could go out on so I guess it'll probably be sold off post race or something.

Or they'll sell 3D rights separately.

Good news for us A/V nerds. Would be really good news if this A/V nerd could afford a 3D telly and the Sky upgrade.

I know this is a ways off (well, maybe only a few years) but WOW, imagine being able to watch the Tour de France and Giro in 3D!!

I say if they go 3D, they have to change the TT's so there's only 45 seconds between riders because in 3D I'll bet it's amazing to see one rider approaching and passing another!
  • I'm as nerdy as they come but when I heard about the 3D football and people were saying "It's just like being there!" I thought to myself "It's not though, BEING THERE is just like being there!"

However, the prospect of seeing the Alps looming on the horizon on a 3D TV is an interesting one
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I've not got my head round the 3D TV technology. Do you need a special TV for this sort of business, or is it a case of Sky or whoever broadcasting an image that has the two separate blue/red images at the same time and you simply watch it through those crazy 3d shades?

I can't say I'm a massive fan of the concept. I watched Avatar in 3D and, even putting complaints about the film itself aside, found it a very artificial experience (perceptive, eh? :wink: ). I found my eyes fighting against the 3D a lot. I think you subconciously feel that you should be able to focus on anything on the screen, but when you try and look at something that isn't the camera's point of focus (say, something in the background while the camera's focused on an actor in the foreground) it doesn't work and your eyes get strained. I'd have thought in the Alps the cameras will be focused on the riders, so you won't be able to sit back and admire the scenery, which will be slightly out of focus...
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I think you will need a special 3d tv and and to subscribe to sky hd and then you need the glasses. You too could look like this.
    Sky3d_football-728-75.jpg
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    I have a slightly lazy eye so 3d doesn't really work for me, although I got fleeting glimpses of it working when watching avatar. However, I need to wear the glasses to stop it looking crap.

So basically, 3d tv would be an expensive waste of time for me and tens of thousands like me. I mean, imagine having to put on specs to watch telly?
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    I don't think it's that far away, I'm sure I read somewhere that the BBC are planning on broadcasting the 2012 Olympics in 3D.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    You will also need to sit pretty close to the tv to get the proper "experience". I read somewhere that you would need to be 6-8 feet from a 55 inch screen. Thus, with most Brits having something closer to 40 inches you'd need to be less than 6 feet away for full effect.
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    I just hope it's not my dog* responsible for bringing half the peloton down :D

* I don't own a dog, imaginary dog used for not very funny joke purposes.
  • dcj
    dcj Posts: 395
    i have seen loads of 3D demos. depends on the source material it can be amazing. i would think the tour and giro will be especially awesome in HD and 3D.

you need a HD 3D TV and the special glasses plus source material. in the near future some blu-ray players will be able to play 3D discs and PS3 too for games and discs.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    I actually saw a bit of the Arsenal/Man U game on 3D. The Old Arcade in Cardiff was one of the pubs selected to show it and they had it on constant play for the following week, so we dropped in to have a look.

For football, the main long shots from the stands weren't all that great due to the flat playing surface and little sight of the crowd. But when the angles went down to pitchside, it was very good. Really enhancing the coverage. But when Wayne Rooney runs straight at you, you kind of wish you had an elephant gun at hand (I like Rooney though). Sky, being Sky, overdid the graphics a little.

It wasn't like being there though, because there wasn't a 20 stone man next to me screaming at Berbatov 'to put some f***ing effort in' while shoving a pie into his face.

Cycling though is the sport that this is made for, more than any other with it's landscapes. It will be tremendous and will do wonders for the sport. What the ASO (and others) need is some expect advice on 3D and sports presentation to make the most of it. Anyone still think Sky won't get a Tour wildcard?
    Twitter: @RichN95