Bike Shoes

Bikeman8989
Bikeman8989 Posts: 23
edited April 2012 in MTB beginners
I am new to mountain biking and am thinking of getting some bike shoes (clip-in) before i go to the Lake District. My friend said i should get some a while before i go so then i can loosen the clip-ins as they are stiff at first. Is this true?

Any help is appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    It is a good idea to get used to them first. It appears to be a rule of thumb that you do at least one graceless dismount with SPDs before you get used to them.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • spudly1979
    spudly1979 Posts: 172
    hi, definately give them a try on some off road you know fairly well.

I got pedals and shoes for xmas this year and after several attempts i've given up - i don't dare use them on anything too technical as i don't trust myself!

I have some shoes for sale if you're still looking......!
    Canyon AM 6.0
    At some point i am going to manage to jump one of these things.....
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    As above, get them well before you go and get used to using them, clipping out becomes second nature eventually. It'd probably be good to break the shoes in a bit before you go doing (I assume) a weekend of riding.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    The clip ins themselves wont vary much in terms of loosening up, although as the cleats wear down they do get sloppier, but you're talking thousands of miles.

You shoudl get some and back the tension all the way off to practice. Once you're comfortable with them then tighten up a couple of notches, and in a few months tighten again as experience means you can run them tighter, which will prevent unwanted pop-outs.

Lidl current have shoes for £18.99 that arent too bad as it goes. They are SPD compatible. Add them to some excellent budget Shimano pedals like this (I ride these on my bike - they are just awesome and soooo cheap) http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759 and you're set up and ready to go for under £40.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • It took me a while to get used to mine (Shimanos). I went on a few easy rides first to get used to them, but I've still come off a couple of times.

You should be able to adjust the tension - start off with them fairly loose. I bought shoes that can double up as trainers and wide pedals so that you can still ride when you're not clipped in.

Took me bl**dy ages to get the old pedals off. Recommend buying a pedal spanner.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    It took me a while to get used to mine (Shimanos). I went on a few easy rides first to get used to them, but I've still come off a couple of times.

You should be able to adjust the tension - start off with them fairly loose. I bought shoes that can double up as trainers and wide pedals so that you can still ride when you're not clipped in.

Took me bl**dy ages to get the old pedals off. Recommend buying a pedal spanner.
    About to purchase a Scale 50 which comes with the spd pedals. I have never uriden with click ons so was thinking about putting wide pedals on until I got used to the bike and then trying the clip-ons.

Like you I was thinking of getting shoes that are spd ready and can double as casual trainers (the vans style of shoe if you know what I mean). Is this a good idea or are these type of shoes not very good with clip-on pedals? Should I just go for a dedicated pair of spd shoes instead and just ride with trainers in the mean time?
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    It is definitely more to do with cleats on the shoes than the pedals in my experience (although as mentioned above you can adjust the tension on the pedals). I have a pair of shoes that I use for my commute, which have done approx 4000miles in that clip and unclip easily, I also got a pair of new shoes at christmas and have had a couple of embarrassing incidents as they are a lot stiffer!

Also be aware that there are two types of cleat - multi release or single release (multi let you release by pulling up as well as to the side)- I would strongly recommend multi-release when you begin using them.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    I would go for just dedicated SPD shoes if I were you. Ones like trainers are actually fine, but you pay for having a shoe that lets face it, isn't cool either way. Avoid Vans SPD shoes like the plague though.

I would disagree on the multi-release cleats - I think the uncertainty of multi-release is worse than having single release. At least with single-release you know that there is only one way out. Personal preference I guess.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • hard-rider
    hard-rider Posts: 460
    Well the Scale comes with Shimano PD-M505 Clipless pedals (I can't find those on the Shimano site so I guess they are discontinued). Are these single or multi-release or is that a factor of the cleat and not the pedal?
  • Yukon Boy
    Yukon Boy Posts: 70
    Five Ten's, flat pedals = best of both worlds ;)
  • I have had SPDs for about 6 months now, and started off with a pair of cheap Lidl shoes and Shimano M520 pedals. Exactly two weeks ago, the velcro strap on the shoes snapped, much to my dissapointment. I then ordered some Shimano AM30 shoes from Merlin Cycles, which were delivered the next day, and have been excellent since.

I would get the shoes and pedals asap to get used to them, as through experience in the first few weeks of getting them, I had a few embarassing dismounts. :roll:
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    hard-rider wrote:
    Well the Scale comes with Shimano PD-M505 Clipless pedals (I can't find those on the Shimano site so I guess they are discontinued). Are these single or multi-release or is that a factor of the cleat and not the pedal?

Only a factor in the cleat, all SPD pedals will work with both types of cleat.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Im a newbie on here. Great forum lads with good advice. I tried my new Cube Race out for the first time yesterday with also for the first time my new shimano clip ins. It was raining so only to the end of the street and back. I wish I'd left the front door open as I could have fallen straight into the hall. My misses heard the thump and thought there was someone at the door only to find me flat out on the step. I had practiced unclipping in the garage but obviously not for long enough.
    We do go on some fairly hairy stretches of ground in SWales how long is it going to take me or should I quit while I'm still intact?
  • Having now read most of theses clip on notes it seems a bit like owning your first Harley. You have to embarasingly fall over for no apparent reason 2 or 3 times before you learn how not too.
  • Peshwari
    Peshwari Posts: 6
    I got the Specialized Sport MTB shoes and Shimano ATB SPD Pedals PD-M540 a few weeks ago and I think they are brilliant, I love how you can are attached to the bike and can manoeuvre and pull it. Only used them on the commute to work which is a 20 minute cycle though most of it is through woodland and I have taken a few detours to test them out with only a couple of panics but not fallen off yet. I love spending a wee bit money just to encourage me to ride to work more especially with my route and these have been the best purchase yet don't think even a new bike would give me a bigger smile although I'm hoping to test that out next year :D
    I borrowed a mate’s bike a few years ago and fell off in the carpark at Glentress and then a further 2 or 3 times on the way up and back down so am fully prepared for the inevitable. :lol: :oops: :lol:
  • Rushmore
    Rushmore Posts: 674
    To be honest.

I put of using SPD for this very reason..

But I recently switched to them... i's really easy to clip out... it's actually harder to clip in!

Nothing to worry about and is a peice of cake..

People who can't get on with them due to not being able to clip out will either have them set up wrong or be a complete mong with no co-ordination...

go for it dude, you'll be fine...
    Always remember.... Wherever you go, there you are.

Ghost AMR 7500 2012
    De Rosa R838
  • Ghostt
    Ghostt Posts: 192
    Why not both?!

I've got a set of SPDs, which are great for pedalling efficiency and long rides, but having switched back to some decent flats a month ago, can't say I've missed them. Main problem for me was the cleat popping out at very inconvenient times...

I also like the feeling of flats more than SPDs, being able to move my feet and shift my weight about rather than being 'strapped' onto the bike. Using flats makes me think more about my line, as I'm thinking more about foot position and dropping my heels, so I've started scanning further down the trail.
    Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go - T.S. Eliot
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Go for the spd's ,sooner the better.I've been using them years now and it seems wrong without them.