cycle computer recommendations?

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited April 2010 in Commuting chat
From £10 to £60 they all seem to do much the same job.

After that you get heart rate monitors and/or GPS. I have a HRM belt for my treadmill and they are not that pleasant to wear really. My phone has GPS built in, so I can't see me buying another GPS device.

I don't much like wires, so is there any reason not to just buy the cheapest wireless job?

Comments

• Some of the cheapy ones (e.g. Halfrauds) are a little temperamental, though I may have got a bad one.

If you don't want GPS or HRM, then try a cheapie, heck even Lidl do one (which has a thermometer, now I wish my Garmin had that :-))
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    I have a Lidl/Aldi one (can't remember which) and have had no problems at all. Has an HRM but it is comfortable to wear - can of course just leave it off.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    My Lidl one has started going beserk - with the miles being clocked up at a rate of 3 or 4 times the actual milage - at one point it told me i was doing 90 mph!!

I've decided to buy a decent one this time - I actually got less than a year out of it. :evil:
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929
    Porgy wrote:
    My Lidl one has started going beserk - with the miles being clocked up at a rate of 3 or 4 times the actual milage - at one point it told me i was doing 90 mph!!

I've decided to buy a decent one this time - I actually got less than a year out of it. :evil:
    Does this explain your SCS position.....?
    :wink:
  • Porgy
    nic_77 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Does this explain your SCS position.....?
    :wink:

No :evil:
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    Porgy wrote:

Have mine nearly 2 years - no probs - you must've just got a dodgy one. If you have the receipt it's still under warranty so get a refund/replacement.
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • Porgy
    garrynolan wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Have mine nearly 2 years - no probs - you must've just got a dodgy one. If you have the receipt it's still under warranty so get a refund/replacement.

I bought it in 2006 when I was in Spain - lost the receipt and didn't fit it until last year. It only cost about £3.00 so I think I can take the loss. :D
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    Wilkinsons have a wireless one for about £14

Seems ok today and the wheel size set up is well documented in the manual for different wheel/tyre sizes.
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Tesco 7-pounder: not much cop really. My max speed was apparently (only) 77mph. The cadence function packed up after two days. Tendency to lose all the settings for no apparent reason. Had it in the box for a couple of months before I fitted it so warranty is futsch.
    Verdict - avoid. HTH.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • waddlie
    waddlie Posts: 542
    I have a Cateye Micro Wireless. Normally sells for £30-35 so doubt I can tempt you away from the cheapies, but it is does everything I want it to and has been thoroughly reliable throughout the worst the winter could have thrown at it. Doesn't seem to mind being dropped on the patio every morning when Mr SleepyHeadGlovedHands fumbles around like a virgin trying to get his bike out of the shed...
    Rules are for fools.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    I used a £10 Raleigh cycle comp from Argos for about 5 years. Only chucked it when it started resetting itself more and more frequently. It started once every now and then and in the end would do it several times a week, sometimes mid-ride.

Now run a Cateye Strada.
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    +1 for Cateye Strada, wired rather than wireless. If you have rigid forks, using a wire makes sense (to my mind) because you avoid the interference that you can get from speed cameras etc. when running wireless.
  • thelawnet
    These are nice + cheap:

http://www.uket.co.uk/Leisure-and-Hobbi ... od_28.html £11 - avg speed, thermometer, etc.
    http://www.uket.co.uk/Leisure-and-Hobbi ... d_176.html - £13.50 as above, but with backlight
    http://www.uket.co.uk/Leisure-and-Hobbi ... od_56.html - £15.95 as £11 version, but with heart rate function.

edit: top two are cheaper on ebay http://stores.shop.ebay.co.uk/UKETrader ... ec0Q2em322
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    +1 on the base Cateye- I've got the vectra wireless and, over two years, it's been near faultless, aside from a slight issue with the button sticking which was easy enough to sort. Still on included battery, although it now needs a new one.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    cateye strada wirelss

excellent computer, sturdy and accurate. Very happy with mine and has a trip feature which is very useful
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet wrote:

Just bought this, quite nice.

Good display: shows current speed with one other measurement - pulse, thermometer, trip distance, current time, elapsed time, average speed or total distance since battery installed.

The supplied cable ties were inadequate, however, and snapped easily.
  • Aguila
    Aguila Posts: 622
    Waddlie wrote:
    I have a Cateye Micro Wireless. Normally sells for £30-35 so doubt I can tempt you away from the cheapies, but it is does everything I want it to and has been thoroughly reliable throughout the worst the winter could have thrown at it. Doesn't seem to mind being dropped on the patio every morning when Mr SleepyHeadGlovedHands fumbles around like a virgin trying to get his bike out of the shed...

I had 3 of these go wrong, all just kept reverting to setup mode mid ride after about 6 months. All on my commuter bike, the one on my dry bike is fine so I reckon they're not proper waterproof.

I now have a Knog NERD which is cool and much more reliable than the cateye:

http://www.rutlandcycling.com/16901/Kno ... n=pid16901
  • rf6
    rf6 Posts: 323
    Not used a wireless cateye, but can vouch for their wired ones. run an old one can't remember its name, which has had one battery change and been faultless. also run a velo 5 and a velo 8 on differing bikes, which again have been spot on.

Got my bro a Lidl one, but it died it a downpour, was only cheap tho.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    i've got a trek incite 11i. which is wired, because i wanted cadence too, and wireless version was too expensive!

no problems with it, and straightforward to use. it may be a common feature, but the computer can be set up to switch for 2 different tyres, so if you have two bikes, you can purchase extra mount/sensors separately and use between 2 bikes.

if you get wireless, watch out for em interference from your lights....i think in most cases this just means care in with mounting - not too close.
  • I recently "upgraded" my rather limited wired VDO one to a wireless Raleigh one with HRM, temp, fat burned, etc.

Wish I hadn't, the HRM sometimes goes when I'm not wearing the thing, it looses miles and reports ridiculous speeds. :(
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I have cateye on both bikes.

Velo8 on the roadie, great little computer, and the strada wireless on the MTB, which is equally good!

All dpends if you mind having a wire IMO.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    andy83 wrote:
    cateye strada wirelss

excellent computer, sturdy and accurate. Very happy with mine and has a trip feature which is very useful

Bought one of these while my Garmin is being RMAed. Been happy with it so far, even though it's a big step down from what i'm used to.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet wrote:
    thelawnet wrote:

Just bought this, quite nice.

Good display: shows current speed with one other measurement - pulse, thermometer, trip distance, current time, elapsed time, average speed or total distance since battery installed.

The supplied cable ties were inadequate, however, and snapped easily.

Slight update, it doesn't work properly - it's ok most of the time, but it seems to have a major interference problem sometimes, which causes the speed to max out at 99.9mph.

So pretty useless.....