cycling with back problems

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
In short I did my back in yesterday (I have a gippy back anyway). However with still being able to walk around and being dosed up to the eyeballs on pain killers and brufen I want to get out on the bike in the morning.

Whats the consensus on cycling with recent back injuries? does it actually help or not?
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Paging Gregg66
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Oh dear, seek professional help now, so you get it looked at the quicker you'll be back in the saddle.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    Oh dear, seek professional help now, so you get it looked at the quicker you'll be back in the saddle.

seeing the Chiropractor on Monday (also a cyclist so he knows the score), but this seems to be muscular rather than skeletal
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Depends what the problem is.

Ideally - with any muscular injury you would want to rest it for a short period of time and then EASE back into things.

I recently also did my back in - or rather my shoulder which caused back spasms. Took an entire month before I could move again without pain.

Still have the shoulder problem and the back will tighten up from time to time but can ride my bike.

Doctors all said to take it easy and build up to full fitness again over time. If it hurts too much I take a day off and it's back (pardon the pun) to normal.
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    It really does depend what your problem is.

I have slipped discs so cycling feels fab when I am doing it, as it eases the pressure on my spine. The problem comes when i try to dismount the bike and if I overdo it I struggle for weeks.

You really need it to be looked at. If it is ongoing, an MRI will help figure what is going on.

The problem with just taking painkillers and going on as normal is that you can do more damage
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • NGale
    Pokerface wrote:
    Depends what the problem is.

Ideally - with any muscular injury you would want to rest it for a short period of time and then EASE back into things.

I recently also did my back in - or rather my shoulder which caused back spasms. Took an entire month before I could move again without pain.

Still have the shoulder problem and the back will tighten up from time to time but can ride my bike.

Doctors all said to take it easy and build up to full fitness again over time. If it hurts too much I take a day off and it's back (pardon the pun) to normal.

This is lower back spasams, so while painful, not as bad as if it has been upper back. :)
  • biondino
    biondino Posts: 5,990
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

seeing the Chiropractor on Monday (also a cyclist so he knows the score), but this seems to be muscular rather than skeletal

You want a proper doctor, not a charlatan, especially if it's muscular.
  • jamesco
    jamesco Posts: 687
    Biking has set off my gippy back a few times, so I reckon you're best taking it easy and seeing your doctor (or physio) to get treatment and advice. Definitely don't force anything; my experience is that when the back starts to go it can get very much worse, very quickly!

Good luck!
  • NGale
    biondino wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

I'm lucky with my chiropractor, if he thinks it's muscular he won't deal with it, he'll asess it and then send me away (he has done before) free of charge.

this time while it feels muscular I'm not actually sure because it did crack rather loudly at the time, so will make use of the appointment seeing as it was already booked.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    I suffered from really bad lower back spasms. My chiropractor recommeded cycling as a way of strengthening this area of the back along with a bit of Yoga. Never looked back since
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Be careful! I had lumbar muscle spasms after my injury in summer 2008, which still niggles me to this day. Since the injury, I have barely used my carbon steed, the F5C :cry:

If your bike(s) are setup for a more aerodynamic position, which will stress a lower back, investing in a pair of butterfly bars could really help put you in a more comfortable upright position. :)

On the downside, butterfly/trekking bars may mean you will need to buy suitable replacement shifters and brake levers. Fortunately for me, my Pylon8 was just a straight forward stem and handlebars swap. :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Depends how bad it is - Ive suffered with back problems for over 20 years - my do's and don't would be:-

1. As soon as you can ICE and Ibuprofen - take as many as the dose recommends - you need to get the swelling down

2. In my experience get back on the bike when the pain eases - but don't wait until it feels 100% - I sometimes think get the bood pumping helps the repair.

3.Don't rule out a neoprene back support - keeps the affected area warm

4.On your return ice the painful area - and top up with anti inflammatory

5.Do some lumbar strengthening & stretching.

Good luck & keep us posted.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    A few hours I got back from A&E following sciatic nerve damage from my recent increase in cycling :cry: On loads of painkillers and still struggling to walk as my right leg is spasming and aches like mad.

Doc told me to look out for any numbness in my lower body, but besides that try to keep moving. :?
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    If you are in pain walking .. then don't cycle, cycling will (in most cases) just aggravate the problem.

Having said that, I suffer from acute lower back problems (like millions of others) and cycling always removes the niggling pain that I have most of the time.

If you need painkillers then I would avoid cycling, once you can get by without the drugs then get back on your bike.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    biondino wrote:

Yeah Right, I'll refer you to the paragon of medical excellence that had me hooked on 100 solpadeine a week for 18 months before I finally found my way to a charlatan that got me off that lifetime sentance of addictive drugs dished up by the proper doctor and sorted out my muscular and skeletal problems (they're linked and have an effect on each other y'know) a decent chiropractor can work on both.

theres good and bad in every profession, I got a crap medico and a great chiro, you sound like you got the other way round.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    biondino wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    itboffin wrote:

+1

Sports physio is the way to go. I wouldn't let a chiropractor see my back, let alone touch it.

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    kingrollo wrote:
    1. As soon as you can ICE and Ibuprofen - take as many as the dose recommends - you need to get the swelling down

How do you elevate your back (The "E" in ICE)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    SecretSam wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

How do you elevate your back (The "E" in ICE)

I meant just stick a frozen bottle of water on it !