What tyre pressures (MK2.4s)

Hitby
Hitby Posts: 218
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all,
Last year I bought a set of the cheap Conti Mountain King 2.4 tyres and on my second ride out got punctures in both so I switched back to the Kendas that were OE on my bike.

I want to try them again as first ride out they seemed really good. I've just gone over them and found a small thorn in one but i think the other one had a snakebite puncture.

So, I'm currently about 18stone (yeah I know, I know!) - what sort of pressure should I be riding with these at? My routes are mostly firetrail/moors with some singletrack and obviously, the road to get to where I'm going.

I also sometimes just do 20 road miles.

Appreciate any advice, especially for these specific tyres.

Thanks,

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looked in the FAQs?

please do.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Hitby
    I have as it happens.
    The pressure FAQ is for someone that is 11 stone. It says 'if you are heavier, chose a higher pressure' which doesn't really help to be honest.

I was hoping to hear from someone more my size or someone with experience of these tyres - are they always going to get punctures or am I running them at the wrong pressure? I don't know.
  • joec1
    joec1 Posts: 494
    well. im 11.5 stone, and i go with around 40-50psi in a 2.3 Eskar control tyre, my mate with the same tyre, (who is 17stone) uses the same psi......

we both let a little out (me more so) on the descents, but overal ride with a similar psi.

You would be best off riding it at 40-50 and then seeing how it goes. One of my mates prefers 60 (maximum) as he can ride faster (so say)

i would stick some air in... ride around a bit... shove in some more... see how it compares and adjust accordingly... just remember that the tyre has more grip it is has the tread over roots etc, so the more air in it, the less tyre that will toush the root as you pass over it...
    www.settingascene.com - MTBing in Wilts and the southwest, join up for info and ride details.
  • RichMTB
    RichMTB Posts: 599
    just remember that the tyre has more grip it is has the tread over roots etc, so the more air in it, the less tyre that will toush the root as you pass over it...

Sorry what!

To the OP, what width are your Nevegals?

I'd try 55psi and see how you get on, if its overly harsh knock it down to 50psi.

If you find you are still puncture prone even at higher pressures than try thicker inner tubes (downhill ones)
    Step in to my hut! - Stumpy Jumpy Pacey
  • Hitby
    Hi,
    They're not nevegals - they're Continental Mountain Kings - the wire (cheap) versions in 2.4 size. Still go with 55?

Thanks by the way, the guide in the FAQs recommends 30 for this size tire which sounded way too low for me!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    im a hefty 19 odd stone and use specialized tyres. i use 30 in the front and 35- 40 on the back tyre.

i find a softer front tyre helps to prevent the front tyre from being bashed around and deflecting off surfaces and a firmer rear tyre is a bit more energy efficient.

if im riding on rocky type surfaces i soften the rear tyre a bit for a bit more traction.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Hitby wrote:
    They're not nevegals - they're Continental Mountain Kings - the wire (cheap) versions in 2.4 size. Still go with 55?

Thanks by the way, the guide in the FAQs recommends 30 for this size tire which sounded way too low for me!

30 seems a little low to me too. One of the things mountain king apologists always say when the tyres get slated is that they need to be run higher than most tyres to work properly. I don't think this is actually true, but worth trying. Basically nothing I did with the pressures made mine much good at all.

There's no hard and fast rules, I like my tyres a little harder than most people I think, they might not grip as well but they tend to feel a little more predictable to me.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    What width are the rims you are running?.

Tyre pressures, amongst other things are dependent on rim width. If your running something like Mavic 717rims then the 2.4 tyres are to be too wide and are going to be prone too rolling on the rim. A 2.4 tyre would be more suited to a wider rim of of at least 19mm internally but preferably 21mm .

So unless you can find someone with the same wheels, tyres, riding style, preferences and weight your not going to get the answer. The only way to find out is too experiment.

If you haven't got one, get a digital pressure gauge.

Snakebites are caused by incorrect, too low pressure and punctures are caused by sharp objects. As long as as you can identify one from the other you shouldn't have a problem finding a pressure that will work for you.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Dirtydog11 wrote:
    If your running something like Mavic 717rims then the 2.4 tyres are to be too wide and are going to be prone too rolling on the rim.

MK 2.4s aren't 2.4 wide though, so they should be fine with the 717's 2.3 limit.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    im 17 stones and found 35psi fine for general riding. 55 seems stupidly high for an off road tyre. never punctured at that psi. used them on a 6 inch travel bike. any higher than 35 psi i find i struggle for grip in damp to wet conditions
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Hitby
    thanks guys. I've decided to fit a Stans tubeless setup to minimise punctures. I'll keep you updated as to how it goes.