Brad on "The Tour"

pat1cp
pat1cp Posts: 766
edited March 2010 in Pro race
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 546232.stm

I understand what he's saying, and he makes some interesting points, but,,,,, I still don't think he'll make the top ten.

Comments

• Hi

Good luck to him - unfortunately i cant see anyone beating contador

i reckon the giro is more fitting to his strengths with 4 time trials - a podium there would be a great achievement
  • NervexProf
    NervexProf Posts: 4,202
    Drawing on his 2009 experience and with Brailsford behind him I feel confident he can 'podium' - fact is Brad is a realist and has adapted superbly to the road.

Let's get behind the fella, please.
    Common sense in an uncommon degree is what the world calls wisdom
  • Yes, he could do very well at the giro but he will not peak for the giro. I would be shocked if he did not get a top ten in the tour. prob 6th or 7th after a shocking climb early on.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    I think he's right - what else can he do - he's not making any great claims just being honest so good luck to him. I've always liked him and I'll be backing him.

Still don't like Sky though !

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Good luck to him.

Contador is clear favourite, with A Schleck behind him. I don't think he can live with either of these two in the mountains, when the going gets really tought (a la Grand Bornand & Ventoux).

The other podium place is up for grabs.
    That said, I've been looking at the competition again: -

Proven performers...
    Armstrong, Kloden, Leipheimer, Evans, Basso, F Shleck, Valverde, Menchov, Cunego, Pellozzoti, Vande Velde etc

Up-and-comers...
    Kreuziger, Nibali, Gessink, Fugslang, Martin

Top 10 on GC is looking pretty good to me!
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    Good luck to him.

Contador is clear favourite, with A Schleck behind him. I don't think he can live with either of these two in the mountains, when the going gets really tought (a la Grand Bornand & Ventoux).

Proven performers...
    Armstrong, Kloden, Leipheimer, Evans, Basso, F Shleck, Valverde, Menchov, Cunego, Pellozzoti, Vande Velde etc

Up-and-comers...

If Schleck can get over his injury
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • pomtarr
    pomtarr Posts: 318
    Arguably the only thing that kept him off the TdF podium last year was the split on stage 3.
    "Difficult, difficult, lemon difficult"
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    As Wiggins himself says, he can't spend half the year training with the aim of cracking the top-10 again.

I know Sky have been the brunt of many jokes but they know Wiggins' numbers, he's been coached by BC since he was a junior. If they think he's worth millions, then there's something in that. He should have a margin of improvement, not to mention confidence.

But his performance was so surprising you can't help wondering if it won't be difficult to repeat. And don't forget cycling is a cruel sport, he might have lost a few seconds in a split last July but what if he crashes or picks up an injury or illness, his season could be wrecked by a short moment in the Giro.

One to watch and that's why the racing before the Tour de France will be interesting, to see if he can confirm his new status.
  • PauloBets
    PauloBets Posts: 108
    pat1cp wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8546232.stm

I understand what he's saying, and he makes some interesting points, but,,,,, I still don't think he'll make the top ten.

nonsense, Brad has a good chance of standing on the final TDF podium now that he has his own team, is the sole leader and has handpicked people of his own entourage from the UK. These are the ingredients.
  • pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Nothing would please me more than to see Brad on top of the podium in July, and I'll be cheering him on as much as anyone else, I just don't think this years course suits him anything like last years.

Time will tell.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    PauloBets wrote:
    pat1cp wrote:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/cycling/8546232.stm

nonsense, Brad has a good chance of standing on the final TDF podium now that he has his own team, is the sole leader and has handpicked people of his own entourage from the UK. These are the ingredients.

Because the UK has such a proud tradition of putting its riders on the final podium of the TDF :wink:

Unfortunately, the "ingredients" at the moment are having Bruyneel in the car and a bunch of teammates from Spain, the US and former Soviet States.

Mind you, Wiggin's manager is as bald as Andy Schleck's so maybe there's an ingredient we hadn't thought of yet.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • El Imbatido
    El Imbatido Posts: 144
    pomtarr wrote:
    Arguably the only thing that kept him off the TdF podium last year was the split on stage 3.

And arguably the thing that wiped out most of the GC contenders was the TTT and the crap route that didn't allow many chances to gain that time back.
    Do you have any Therapeutic Use Exemptions?
    No. Never have.
    Never? What about the cortisone?
    Well, obviously there was the cortisone
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    Good luck to him.

Proven performers...

Up-and-comers...

Cunego? Haven't seen a decent grand tour out of him since he got his tattoo. :D
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • well he might do well,

Schlecks knee explodes on the first uphill stage.

Contador is taken out by a phalanx of armstrongs goons and several of them sacrifice themselves to take him over the edge into a gorge

schleck the older stops to pick schleck the youngers exploded body parts

someone steps on evans dog and hes detained for kicking off

Menchcov falls off whilst in pole position and loses 30 secs and the jersey

Armstrongs suppliers have "technical issues"

Bradley pulls out another super ride
  • think we're missing the main point of that video, which clearly was Gerro's six pack!!
    Music and Bikes and Alligators
    http://www.richsemple.wordpress.com
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    I'd happily swap England winning the World Cup win for Brad winning the Tour.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784

If both of those happened, I'd be stocking up on tins because the end of the world would be here.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    iainf72 wrote:

If both of those happened, I'd be stocking up on tins because the end of the world would be here.

Both? Now you're just being silly :wink:
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • iainf72

Both? Now you're just being silly :wink:

Oh, I know.

Both fill me with horror :wink:

I think the world cup would fill me with more horror though.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

England winning the WC ? mmm thank christ for sh it goalies and dodgy centre halves.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    I thought he speaks some sense on the vid, it will probably be jumped all over by the fools on cycling news forum who like to portray themselves as some kind of all seeing oracle who is always "in the know".
    They have got Wiggins (they call him Wigans :roll: ) as the biggest doper in the history of the peloton and Brailsford as the next Dr Ferrari and even the whole GB track squad are regular dopers! Bunch of tits.
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • wicked wrote:
    I thought he speaks some sense on the vid, it will probably be jumped all over by the fools on cycling news forum who like to portray themselves as some kind of all seeing oracle who is always "in the know".
    They have got Wiggins (they call him Wigans :roll: ) as the biggest doper in the history of the peloton and Brailsford as the next Dr Ferrari and even the whole GB track squad are regular dopers! Bunch of tits.

Because no one at the top of the GC has ever been busted for doping, right?

As someone once said, you can't prove a negative.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    wicked wrote:

+1. Bunch of clowns over at CN. Loads of them looking for 'clues' to doping in every utterance or act, often with hillariously stupid consequences.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    RichN95 wrote:

+1. Bunch of clowns over at CN. Loads of them looking for 'clues' to doping in every utterance or act, often with hillariously stupid consequences.

They're not that unusual. Spanish / Italian / French forums are full of similar disbelievers.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    I knew I'd seen Brad before, on "Twizzle" 1960's puppet show. He was "Jiffy the Broomstick Man". Well, if he looses any more weight he will be...
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Just as long as they hold a UK passport then they will always pass dope tests. Doping is for Johnny Foreigner, chaps!
    I'm afraid I can think of a couple of Scots who may have been on the wrong sides of the tracks on this one. Hmmm...
    I find it unreal how a lot of Brits are doing the business at the top level in a sport riddled with dope and as long as they are British they are supposed to be drug free. I have long given up thinking that any top rider is dope free; history shows us not to have any faith; just enjoy the racing for what it is.
    I think the Giro has about 4-5 summit finishes and a Mountain TT. Wiggins will have to be extra skinny for this. If he's going for the pink then he may end up like Sastre and limit his Tour's ambitions. Tricky. Tour is better for Wiggo I think.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

They're not that unusual. Spanish / Italian / French forums are full of similar disbelievers.

It's not the disbelieving I'm critical of, it's the ridiculous 'evidence' that they sometimes come up with. For example:
    I give Cadel Evans a little less 'benefit of the doubt' after seeing this interview with Andrew Denton. Something about the blankness of his face & the pause before his response when Denton asks if he has ever been offered PEDs seems rather revealing ...

In reality, there was a noticable satellite delay.

Other classics are anyone who visits the dentist, or has a large jaw, is obviously on HGH. And Contador being in a Madrid for a few days before his Giro win proved that he was still working with Dr Fuentes, not that it's because he lives there.

Loads of them claim to have sources in the peloton, Euro and US, but none knew that their 'hero' Joe Papp had been a major league drug dealer.

And their treatment of Jonathan Vaughters when he tried to answer questions about his interest in Contador and other things was downright disgraceful. In fact anyone who dares to criticism their 'everyone dopes' creed is hounded out.

Clowns, I tell you.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Agreed, and I always come away feeling depressed and down-heartened, so I've stopped following them, mostly.

Brad's finishing place on the Tour? I dunno- there are too many things that could go badly wrong for him, but I reckon that there's no reason he can't be on the podium in Paris. Contador should win again, Baby Schleck will be the bridesmaid (if his knee holds up) and the real contest will be for third. Brad, Cuddles, VdV amongst others.
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    I like brad, then again i liked Eddie the Eagle :o
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    wicked wrote:

Because no one at the top of the GC has ever been busted for doping, right?

As someone once said, you can't prove a negative.

I'm just wondering on the strength of this... has anyone ever won a grand tour GC without the suspicion/reality of having doped?

And if you believe no one has ever won without cheating... is there not a question of why you/we follow this sport in the first place?

Seems to me, in the minds of some, anyone who wins can't possibly have done so without cheating, given how much doping was going on elsewhere in the pelotons.

So, either we slavishly follow a bent sport or we are far too ready to believe the rumours.

Or has this quite obvious dichotomy been pointed out in numerous other threads?