Basic bike for my wife

fubsie01
fubsie01 Posts: 10
edited March 2010 in MTB beginners
My wife is looking at getting back into biking and we require a bike on a budget for simple leisure use and some light trails and tracks. Can anyone recommend anything half decent for a reasonable price I am really not looking to spend more than £200 as it would simply be for use with my 4 year old son at weekends etc - any ideas appreciated ??

Comments

• peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Best to look at second hand bikes for this kind of price
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    Whereabouts are you?
    If you're after something for commuting/shopping canal towpaths etc., I have a Raleigh Metro LX (15") that is virtually brand new.
    IMG_3866.jpg
    Available for £175 - can deliver in the Lancs/Merseyside area.
    PM me if interested.
    Cycling weakly
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Look at the Carrera subway range at Halfords.

Otherwise the Carrera Vulcan is around £200. Basically you want something with V brakes, personally I'd avoid anything with 7 gears at the back if possible and definitely not full suspension.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • fubsie01
    fubsie01 Posts: 10
    thats great - am looking at Ginat Boulder and Giant Rock ant thoughts alos anything else ?
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think Peter is right. Looking in that price range the only bikes I can find that I would buy are 2009 models available in just a handful of sizes - dont know what size she would need.

You would get more for your money second hand - maybe a Spesh Hardrock - there should be a few of those around as lots of people have them.

2-3 years ago you could have got the base models from a number of reputable manufacturers for this budget but they all seem to be 50% more expensive now...

I think second hand is your best option, but if you want new you may find an old model still available in her size discounted.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    The Giant boulder looks a very good bike for the price. Shimano tourney is much better and much more rugged than people give it credit for!!!

I am asuming you mean the womans model since it is for your wife?
  • lancj1
    lancj1 Posts: 38
    fubsie01 wrote:
    thats great - am looking at Ginat Boulder and Giant Rock ant thoughts alos anything else ?

A giant boulder was my first bike on my return in 2007 - , its done me well and is still a great cycle, and I am mid project turning it into a decent hybrid - new wheels, non suspension fork etc.

If I am honest, it would do me for my "mountain biking" too - it did for two years - only the bike to work scheme brought 700 quid in range

In all a good choice for what you describe
    Btwin Triban 3
    Giant Boulder '08
    Raleigh Jackal MTB '95 - Gas Pipe Commuter
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Couldnt see the Boulder anywhere in your price range. The Giant Rock would be fine though, for what you have in mind - pretty reliable comfortable too. I had one a few years back when I went back to cycling after a 15 year break and thought it was great for a while until I wanted to push the envelope a bit more. Obviously not designed for any dramatic off roading but you are not planning that.
  • Splottboy
    Splottboy Posts: 3,695
    Wish someone would give ME a basic bike for my wife.
    I know I'd be getting the better part of the deal...
  • The other half has a women's specific Vulcan. Very nice bike for the price and will do a lot more than what she needs it for. The girlfriend got it for £220 last year in the sale. Should be a few knocking about on ebay if the RRP is a bit over budget.

The trouble with looking at sub-£200 bikes is that there are some real dogs if you don't know what you're looking for, so take heed of the advice here because there's some real good buys if you do!

Definately look at hardtails. Front suspension is optional.
  • Only one man's 2p-worth, but before I plunged in as a newbie MTBer I took a look at a lot of the advice on here, especially about upgradeable rides. Time and again the Carrera Vulcan/Fury came up and I recently bought a second-hand Vulcan. I have to say, I couldn't fault that advice - the knowledge and experience here is vast and helped me make what I think is a good choice. The frame is clearly built for the long haul and though the front shock on mine is near kaput, I won't begrudge the cash to put a better new one on in a couple of months time once I've tweaked a couple of other bits and got used to the whole thing.
    My other issue was security - I was very ready to go for a terrific new Trek on C2W but took a hard look at where I would be keeping the bike, insurance options etc. Carrera are surely brand-leaders in anonymity so that loser chav wannabe Scarfaces will likely leave them alone.
    Long post - full marks for making it this far!
    Cheers and good luck.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    I've had my Boulder (mens version) for about 14 months and it's done about 850 miles.

I like it a lot, and fully appreciate the cost - it is a cheap bike. The forks (Suntour) won't last long (if they spent an extra £2 making the bike they could have put gaiters on the forks) - mine were replaced with Rock Shox Dart 2 foc.

Bike was bought to get back into cycling and has done a few (dozen ish) mad rides around the Bedgebury single track and the rest road (fitness rides and commutes occasionally).

Now toying with the idea of replacing it - cos of cycle to work.

ATB

Simon
  • I bought a Decathlon Rockrider 5 for the missus at weekend.

Seems well built and has branded SRAM / Shimano hardware - I don't think she will be throwing herself down any mountains on it any time soon but thats not what she was looking for anyway.

Its only got V-brakes but should serve as a decent starter bike until she decides whether she loves / loathes it.

Was £140 for the bike