Cannondale CAAD 8 105 or CAAD 9 Tiagra?

prj45
prj45 Posts: 2,208
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I really want the CAAD 9 105, but it's out of the question as it's not on the cycle to work scheme and the supplier won't do deals, so I'm left with a choice of two:

CAAD 8 105:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... gn=froogle

CAAD 9 Tiagra:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... gn=froogle

(my cycle scheme supplier is not Evans BTW).

Comments

• akcc05
    akcc05 Posts: 336
    Definately CAAD9, better/light frame and with BB30 I believe. You can always replace your Tiagra groupset when it's worn or chuck them on to your winter/commuting bike. Besides, the new 5700 105 groupset will be released soon (May I think), Shimano says it will be cheaper, lighter and better than the current 105, so you wouldn't want the 5600 now.
    So, to me, the CAAD9 Tiagra makes more sense.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    +1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    +2. Tiagra isn't bad, you'll probably find you will be happy with it anyway.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    Has to be the CAAD9 - better frame (racy though) and the day to day difference between Tiagra & 105 is really pretty marginal. If you have the CAAD9 you can later hang Ultegra - or maybe Force - on it which will be a significant upgrade or better still some blingin hoops.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Agree with the comments. Tiagra is actually pretty good if you can get over it only having 9 cogs.
  • As I understand it (& you'll need to check this) all 2010 CAAD9 frames are BB30 but with a sleeve in the tiagra model. Your LBS should be able to push this out (there is a special FSA tool for the job).

Incidentally, Cannondale used to (?still do) advise against doing this with carbon frames, but not, as far as I know, on alloy ones. Or at least I bloody hope not, as I'm planning to get my LBS to do just that when my imcoming Flash Alloy finally rocks up...

Andy
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Go for the CAAD 9 - many people are raving about the ride quality.

I have Tiagra on my bike (sadly not a CAAD9) and it's fine, although I wonder if an extra that 105 offers would make much difference.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    I was thinking about getting that (CAAD 9) frame.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I'd go for the better frame every time.

If you don't need to ride it for a couple of weeks, and have some time, patience and budget, then do what I've done / doing:

DON'T RIDE IT.
    Photograph every component.
    Get onto eBay pronto and list yer kit.
    Sell it
    Buy a 105 / Rival / whatever groupset (if you go onto somewhere like Fudge Cycles, you can spec a groupset with mix n match). There are loads of deals around.

You then get the kit you want with minimal extra cost.

That's exactly what I'm doing with the Tricross Sport I've just bought.

Bought it new off a colleague who got it as an insurance replacement but never ridden/ assembled.
    Comes with 9 speed wide range triple gearing, but I want 10 spd and compact chainset / road sprockets.
    Sold the following for decent money: rear mech, Tiagra shifters, cassette, chainset & BB, pedals, carbon seatpost.
    Bought 10 speed replacements for the same overall cost - DA 7800 shifters (nearly new), carbon double chainset !, re-used nice saddle & seatpost and pedals I already had.

Net cost of changing spec to what I actually wanted - £50. OK I've had to compromise with 2nd hand shifters, but I'd rather that than new 9 speeders.
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    As others have said go for the better frame, that way you have a decent base to upgrade later. I'm sure C+ reviewed an alu CAAD bike last month and it came out as best in group on sub £1K bikes due to the quality of the frame, piping a fully carbon Planet X :-)

Looking at those those really makes me wish my employer would entertain the C2W scheme....
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5
  • I've got the CAAD9 tiagra, and can't rate the frame and forks enough. I hated the Shimano wheels from the off, but just bought some Vento's. The ride quality's even better now.

As far as I know, it's the same frame and fork across the CAAD9 series, just a change of groupset. Like others have said, buy the bike for the frame and forks and upgrade bits and bobs as and when you need to.

Can't say I've had much problems with Tiagra. Works fine. The jockey wheels and gear cables badly need replacing now, but can't complain after 7000 miles (I really should've changed them ages ago)
  • prj45
    So, CAAD9 it is.

Deffo going to put the wheels straight on ebay, I don't think they'd take my weight.

I'm leaning toward the compact, figure the triple is more stuff to go wrong, narrower and waeker chain (I put a lot of power down).

So, compact or triple?

(I'm not planning to go mountain climbing with this thing)
  • cjcp
    Compact. If you want to take it for a spin in the hills in the UK, you can.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • prj45
    Gah, and now, team liqugas or straight black?

CAAD9ultegra2010.jpg

CAAD9ult.blk2010.jpg

Arrrg!
  • cjcp
    Straight black. 8)

(Tests have shown black to be faster than green and white.)
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    Just a word of warning

The black paint Cannondale use renders the bike invisible to Vauxhall Astra drivers.

I'd still go for the black though, it's worth the risk just to own something so beautiful.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • prj45
    I'd still go for the black though, it's worth the risk just to own something so beautiful.

I did talk to the missus last night about putting two hooks on our dining room wall, and hanging the bike there as a piece of art.

Didn't go down too well.

Well, I'll be ordering Monday, lead time is a couple of months apparently :(.

Still, I need to lose some weight, so this is good motivation.

Thanks for you help at this difficult time everybody, every comment sucked up and digested.
  • cjcp
    prj45 wrote:

I did talk to the missus last night about putting two hooks on our dining room wall, and hanging the bike there as a piece of art.

Didn't go down too well.

You can't expect women to see reason.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Liquigas colours for me.

Black is dull and samey, there are about 300 hundred trillion black bikes out there :)

The only problem about that CAAD9 Tiagra is that the fork it comes with is not that great.
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    gabriel959 wrote:
    Liquigas colours for me.

Black is dull and samey, there are about 300 hundred trillion black bikes out there :)

The only problem about that CAAD9 Tiagra is that the fork it comes with is not that great.

+1 This man knows his onions.
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • j22
    j22 Posts: 3
    Team Liquigas definitely!

the black is dull & scratches easily. unless you like that dull neutral look.
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    j22 wrote:
    Team Liquigas definitely!

the black is dull & scratches easily. unless you like that dull neutral look.

I quite like the black, reminds me of a stealth jet although I did prefer the black Pinarello Prince I saw in GB cycles last year, the black frame with matt black branding just looked so understated for such as expensive bike :-)
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5