Curse of newbie ?

dvdfoz
dvdfoz Posts: 62
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
After a year of uneventful commuting, ( and lurking this forum). I finally post my first message today, then on the way home along Mile End Road the rim on the front wheel splits.
javascript:emoticon(':x'), wheel completely locks up, thankfully I'm slow enough to not have any incident, and god bless the black cab willing to take me and bike home.

I entirely blame posting here, so who knows what misfortune starting thread will bring...
Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween

Comments

• iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    and eerily, no-one has responded in 40 minutes

Welcome to the forum, touch wood :lol:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Commuter forum virgins get offered as a sacrifice to the P-Fairy by ITB.

A split rim should keep the rest of us safe for a few days

Welcome and thanks :P
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Argh, you mentioned the P word :?
  • I can't believe I clicked on this post.
    Doomed :!:
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Evening and welcome :wink:

Fire up the wickerman we have a new one
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    A split rim *wince*
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Glad no crash! Hope you get it fixed pronto and get rolling again!
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Glad it wasn't worse! Good on the cabbie. And welcome! :)

I concur with Oddjob.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Gussio wrote:
    A split rim *wince*

Paging GregT
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Split rim? How long was the pole?

ANYWAY. Welcome to the forum.

:D

Fulcrum Racing 7.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    an update for those who enjoy a littleee misfortune

New wheel duely installed on the following Thurs,an back rolling on the Friday. Heading home from pub on the Friday, lost my innocence and hit and knocked off for the first time by a minicab.
    He decided to pull out from the curb as I was passing. Not a SMIDSY but "Sorry mate, you were going faster than I thought", so you saw me, but thought you'd pull out anyway ! But only road rash on knee and a bruised elbow.
    A week uneventful, then a visit from PF on Friday, tube completely ripped around valve, so new tube installed.
    Then today, popping into the office, PF returns. OK, enjoy the sunshine and patch up. Then on way home, patch not as well applied as I'd hoped. Can't be bothered, so new tube again, then tightening up the skewer, overdo it, and skewer sheers and falls apart.
    Wheel bike to Cyclesurgery in Spitalfields, and the only win of the tale, they are superb and replace skewer, no charge, and I'm back on the road http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/images/ ... iggrin.gif

Posting here is a dangerous thing to do.

* Londoncentric alert *
    I would consider the Morpeth on a Friday, and say high, but fear the consequences

Apologies for the long tedious post for those who've read this far, but its been one of those days...
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock:

Do pop into the Morpeth on Friday - you can swap stories of woe and bad fortune with ITB. :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Gussio wrote:
    A split rim *wince*

Paging GregT

Ding Dong Princess

Listen - when over exerting yourself and delivering strong and powerful strokes, particulalry using opposing arms / legs for better leverage it is only to be expected that a rim or two will go the way of all things and simply give out.

This is a mark of power and not shame in my book. Bravo.

You may however be running am odd inside leg to wheel set ratio - how long are your legs in inches and also post your thigh measurement (at their widest - most muscled point) A quick pen picture would help also - you know - of your legs.

I hoped you didn't fanny around by the road side looking sad but bit out the offending segment, spat it out, threw your bike over your shoulder and ran home.

Do you drink Martini?

GT
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?