Hello all and a small rant

Spenge
Spenge Posts: 25
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I have recently signed up and thought I would introduce myself here as I am a beginner commuter.

I used to travel from Waterloo to Westminster but i don't suppose that really counts as a commute! Anyway, just moved house and currently commute in from Charlton to Westminster.

Still getting used to the awful London driving and the horrendous potholes but I think I am getting the hang of it!

Anyway... onto the ranting! I was happily cycling along Jamaica Road, through Bermondsey and a car undertook another and passed pretty close to me. I muttered some profanities and glared at him though his mirror and he pulled back into the right hand lane. I carried on my way eventually catching up to him as he sat in a queue. He then proceeded to wind down the passenger window and spit at me as I cycled past. I couldn't believe it. I am p***ed!

Really could have done with a helmet cam or something!

Dave

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    That's what your d-lock is for. Apparently.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Nice, really nice. I wonder if spitting is assault?

It should be...
  • Tomred
    Tomred Posts: 41
    should have planted your foot into his door! dents are hard to remove and cost cash!!!Thats why god gave you cleats in the bottom of your shoe's, dont put up with this kinda behavour! happy commuting dude! give em hell!!
    Klien
    Kona
    Tomasini
    Basso
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Up here the train conductors were being given DNA collecting kits so they could get the DNA of anyone that spat on them and IIRC report them to the police.
  • That's really nasty. Don't let it put you off, some drivers will always be pricks no matter how you're travelling.

Welcome to the forum.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015

It should be...

It is indeed.

Seem to remember some public transport notice signs saying something along those lines a while back.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You should have spat back, I know it's sinking to their level but hey ho. I once got so engraged with a homicidal minicab driver that I spat through his open window - which he'd wound down to give me abuse. It was a very satisfying moment and I nipped off into traffic knowing he'd never catch me...
  • Spenge
    I will try to be more prepared for next time. D-Lock, cleats, so many methods to choose from!

Still trying to get my head around the crap driving I have seen. I had heard the stories but still wasn't really expecting it!

Its unfortunate to start so negative... all that behind me I am really loving the commute! It is very satisfying to finally have a worthwhile amount of time on the bike.

So far, I have had many many more positive experiences than negative :D Lets hope that continues!
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Yep spitting is common assault.

Welcome to the forum 8)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sorry to hear that Spenge.. I use that route, never had a problem but the second set of lights in the sprint section can bit a bit hairy as idiots try to cut through cyclists

what are you riding I'll say hello if see you
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Some people are pond-life. That bloke is one of them.

Unlucky, Spenge, but welcome to the forum :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I had a mate who could hurl on cue. I knew there was a situation where that would be handy.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Spenge
    Cheers, I'm sure I was just unlucky and ecountered one of the few.

I ride a Trek 1.2 in black/red, I have seen a couple threads about sections of my commute so I am sure I will see a some people from here around and about.
  • Welcome! Definitely a big influx of newbies to the forum this year, can only be a good thing :-)
  • Hey mate, firstly welcome.

That really is a harsh intro to your new commute. I've not been so unlucky I have to say.

I went to law school and yes, I can confirm that you have indeed been assaulted. Absolutely nobody has the right to do that you.

Whenever and wherever I ride, always at the back of my mind, I am anticipating something stupid to happen.

Visualise his number plate, even if he speeds off, and write it down, get it on your phone as quick as you can. If, once you've done this, said idiot driver is still there, simply read out their own number plate and watch their expression change instantly.

I've only done it once, when somebody cut me up and struck me with his wing mirror, then had the cheek and give me some verbal. I read out his own plate. Rarely have I experienced such instant gratification. I just rode off, knowing that the incident was too small for me to waste my precious time on it.

But he didn't know that did he....?? :lol:
  • Clever Pun
    Spenge wrote:

I ride a Trek 1.2 in black/red, I have seen a couple threads about sections of my commute so I am sure I will see a some people from here around and about.

I'll look out for it.. I'm pretty noticable... dodgy beard and leg tattoos make me somewhat easier to spot
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Clever Pun wrote:
    I'll look out for it.. I'm pretty noticable... dodgy beard and leg tattoos make me somewhat easier to spot

I thought the tattoos had spread to your face judging by your avatar :wink:

Excellent work on the Kiss makeup, did you do it yourself?
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • A popular saying when I was young - from the army, I would guess - was 'don't let the bastards grind you down'. In which vein, 'don't let the scumbags put you off'.

Bad luck to get such a nasty experience so early, but hey! Look on the positive side. They don't come that often, and now you've got it out of the way, you've probably got a couple of years' scum-free riding ahead of you! Enjoy!
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709

It should be...
    it most certainly IS an assault
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Spenge wrote:
    I....

So far, I have had many many more positive experiences than negative :D Lets hope that continues!

Its too easy to focus on the one negative driver rather than the thousands of positive drivers that have passed you.

Sadly, it only takes 1 driver to kill you.

We however as a group tend to portray ourselves as fighting the motorists. What we do is then create enemies of all motorists.

We should be more selective, befriending the majority of motorists who would be on our side and target our venom at the bad drivers only. We could then get the sensible motorists on our side as bad drivers are a risk to them as well
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    spen666 wrote:
    We however as a group tend to portray ourselves as fighting the motorists. What we do is then create enemies of all motorists.

We should be more selective, befriending the majority of motorists who would be on our side and target our venom at the bad drivers only. We could then get the sensible motorists on our side as bad drivers are a risk to them as well

+1

I make the effort to wave thanks to any motorist who waits patiently for me, letting me turn at a junction, pulling out past parked cars etc. Regardless of "they're expected to, it's my right of way" it doesn't hurt to say thanks and counters their experience of other irresponsible, ignorant cyclists.

What's that old saying. The way others behave with us, is a reflection of how we behave with them.
  • Clever Pun
    iain_j wrote:
    I make the effort to wave thanks to any motorist who waits patiently for me, letting me turn at a junction, pulling out past parked cars etc. Regardless of "they're expected to, it's my right of way" it doesn't hurt to say thanks and counters their experience of other irresponsible, ignorant cyclists.

What's that old saying. The way others behave with us, is a reflection of how we behave with them.

me too. I even slowed to let a car out of a junction today he gave me a smile and a thumbs up.

Later I nodded to let a car know he could turn across me he gave a really silly nod back, waving is easier for people sitting down surely? :lol: wasn't sure if he was mocking me a little
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    Spenge wrote:

I'm on a grey Specialized Tricross, normally along Jamaica Road at about 7.40.

That stretch is a little tricky, a couple of places the bus lane ends where cars can turn left, so you always have to be wary about people turning across you. Had a guy in a grey 5 series beemer do exactly that to me last week without indicating, fortunately he was going slow so I managed to get ahead of him in time.

I'll look out for you (and CP) , what time do you go through there?
  • chuckcork
    chuckcork Posts: 1,471
    Where I come from, Oz, I believe it is considered serious assault. Spit on someone, a cop particularly, and expect a jail term.

Anyone stuck in traffic where they can't just run away does that to me, then stuff the niceties about reporting to the police, they can expect a vigourous and physical response without the benefit of a lawyer present to explain away their actions.
    'Twas Mulga Bill, from Eaglehawk, that caught the cycling craze....