The theiving little b*****ds!

2»

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    WTF?!

:shock:

That is insane... maybe find a new place to lock up your bike!

Glad you're OK...
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    markshaw77 wrote:
    OK - today I can go one better again!!

Clearly the little f*ckers that nicked my plastic light brackets were upset that I had some spares and that their little "game" did not have the desired effect, so this time, they decided that it would be "funny" to nick the crank bolts from my SS.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/26490122@N03/4478725816/

That's right, they nicked just the dust caps and crank bolts from BOTH sides of the crank!! Having done that, they couldn't even be bothered to go ahead and actually nick the crankset?!?

First I knew of it was finding myself doing 18mph down the mall with the LH crank hanging off my foot by the SPD pedal!!!!! OH SO FUNNY!!

Just don't know what to make of this? Clearly whoever did it knows what they are doing and is carrying around not just a set of allen keys but a sprocket/ratchet large enough to get the crank bolts out but then didn't have the wherewithall to get the cranks off? Unless, they were just doing it to disable the bike with a view to nicking it at another time? Who knows!

Anyway, a huge thank you to the great guys at Action Bikes on Embankment who gave me 2 new crank bolts for free and lent me the tools to fix it there and then - I owe you one!

That's beyond a joke! This could have resulted in you getting seriously injured. Where are you locking your bike? Is it a private bike park? Is there any CCTV footage you can obtain? This is more than an opportunity thief. It sounds like someone's targeting you.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Fecking hell - why do people feel the need to be such massive c*nts. Glad it didn't result in an injury.

Can I suggest Knog lights as an alternative. They don't require a bracket at all, a great alternative to Catyey for city riding.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    markshaw77 wrote:
    Just don't know what to make of this? Clearly whoever did it knows what they are doing...

Whisky
    Tango
    Foxtrot

Sounds actively malicious to me, rather than "simple" theft. Give your bike a very thorough check! I can think of many evil things one could to do brakes for example.

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • bobs bikes
    bobs bikes Posts: 589
    we used to do a roaring trade with saddles on a saturday when our shop was near the hospital. some one going in to visit a sick relative, comes out to find no saddle. scum!

....still, made me a few quid! :roll:

i never ever ride my bike into the town centres any more, even though its insured, microchipped and i have sold secure locks. i darent leave it anywhere now. i once saw a guy kick a tree down to steal the bike it was attached to as it was easier! :shock:
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    @Mark Jeez, that is fecked up. Could have been very nasty. Glad you're ok.

@IP My Knog bullfrog died the other day. I'm blaming you :wink:
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    bobs bikes wrote:
    we used to do a roaring trade with saddles on a saturday when our shop was near the hospital. some one going in to visit a sick relative, comes out to find no saddle. scum!

This is kind of my point (and what has me so worried)... with the tools that these guys obviously had, they could have easily nicked the saddle/seatpost, brake calipers, mudguards, handlebars/stem, brake levers - all of which would be worth as much second hand as a well used FSA Gossamer crankset.

But they didn't which leads me to more sinister thoughts of disabling the bike to nick it later or just deliberately trying to injure someone.

I am still seething at this and am genuinely contemplating giving up the london end of my commute (my commute is split - home to the station at one end and station to office at the other) unless I can find somewhere more secure to park my bike [not easy given Westminster council are removing a lot of the good parking spots with CCTV etc to allow for the installation of Boris' bike-for-hire racks]

:cry::cry::cry:
  • lost_in_thought
    Noooooo don't give up! If you do that they win!

:x

I'm making suggestions knowing nothing of your situation, but could you talk to your employer about some indoor bike parking?

Has it only happened these two times, with the brackets and the cranks? Where do you leave the bike at the minute?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Or get yourself a hack bike. My old commuter roadie was so beat up and rusted that if anyone managed to get the saddle or the cranks off, they'd be welcome to it! God knows how many times I've tried and failed. I was quite happy to leave it locked around the streets as it was probably worth all of £20!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Strewth. I had a warm discussion once here about me bringing my bike up into my office, on the basis that a nice bike is a target for every nasty-minded WOS who deems it his duty to spoil someone else's stuff, and that I wasn't prepared to leave it outside unguarded, regardless of how many locks are on it. I wish she was still here so I could show her this thread.

Funny how you've never got your shotgun with you when you need it most.
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    Someone once stole my mate's front quick release skewer. He very quickly headed over the handlebars breaking his fall with his nose which needed to be sewn back in place.

I've had the same lever opened (but left in place), presumably as a joke, before and only noticed the wheel flopping around someway down the road. Some people get their kicks in very stupid ways.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    It's very dangerour indeed.
    Did either of you reported it to the police?
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • El Gordo
    El Gordo Posts: 394
    holybinch wrote:
    It's very dangerour indeed.
    Did either of you reported it to the police?

As it happens, his dad was a pretty senior policeman. Maybe there was a connection???
  • markshaw77
    markshaw77 Posts: 437
    edited March 2010
    kelsen wrote:
    Or get yourself a hack bike. My old commuter roadie was so beat up and rusted that if anyone managed to get the saddle or the cranks off, they'd be welcome to it! God knows how many times I've tried and failed. I was quite happy to leave it locked around the streets as it was probably worth all of £20!

Tried that - didn't enjoy the experience and was costly in terms of parts breaking, so bought the SS second hand (as new) and have been loving it so don't really want to stop but this has really made me think. I might just look into making it look a bit sh1t - insulating tape all over the frame, etc but again, I enjoy having a nice looking bike and the yellow wheels are still a giveaway!
    Noooooo don't give up! If you do that they win!

I'm making suggestions knowing nothing of your situation, but could you talk to your employer about some indoor bike parking?

Has it only happened these two times, with the brackets and the cranks? Where do you leave the bike at the minute?

Really don't want to give up but am not willing to take the risk if I am being targeted "just for kicks" - I have 3 young kids and am the sole breadwinner so I have to think carefully as the impact of getting injured would be pretty significant (one for DDD's thread perhaps :wink: )

I have secure underground parking at my office, but the bike gets left overnight outside one of the mainline London rail terminals (i have a 2nd bike at the other end). I don't want to name the place in case anyone is watching the forum for "ideas" but needless to say there is a limited amount of bike parking and it is all outside on the street. I have made calls and requests to both Nework Rail (as the station owner) and Westminster Council and the mayor's office but as you might expect, nothing has happened

This is probably the 3rd or 4th incident since the start of the year, but the first 2 were in a different spot.

I will ponder on this for the weekend, but much as I hate to say it, I think I might be back on the tube soon until I can afford a Brommie!!
  • lost_in_thought
    Fair enough. Absolutely dreadful, I have to say.

Just on the offchance that said rail terminal is Liverpool Street (don't feel obliged to confirm), I left a bike overnight there for years, and found a great spot that's very secure. There's a ramp that goes into the station, used mostly by taxis. Literally next to that ramp is a loading bay that runs under a building, with boom barriers. If you go through those barriers, turn right along the alley and right again round the corner, there's a bike park under constant CCTV, with 24hr security guards. If questioned, you work for ABN AMRO...

If it's one of the other terminals, maybe worth a look to see if there are similar office based bike parks in the area rather than your current parking arrangements.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,417
    Blimey, I can't imagine leaving any bike locked up anywhere overnight except indoors, but if you don't have a choice, what can you do? Really does look like a targeted attack.

On a more positive note, a folder does present multiple scalping opportunities. I bought a second hand Dahon - which might be a cheaper option than a Brompton if cost is an issue - from a friend at work for £40. needed a bit of fettling, but that was no hardship as I enjoy a good fettle.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Have I mentioned how much I hate thieves, and bike thieves in particular ?

Scum. All of them. May their thieving hands wither and drop off. :twisted:

They'd get more benefits then though! There are people around who would pinch anything, ar$holes.

I sometimes think how good a dodgy batch of heroin would be, that would cull a few of them.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    I had both quick release skewers nicked out of my wheels at work once. Unlocked everything, picked bike up out of rack and bloody wheels fell off!
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    bobs bikes wrote:
    .... i once saw a guy kick a tree down to steal the bike it was attached to as it was easier! :shock:

Did you D-lock the c*nt, or at least stand pointing at them shouting at the top of your voice "they're stealing a bike" ?

If not, why not ????
    Misguided Idealist