Garmin etrex maps

shivadread
shivadread Posts: 110
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Just brought myself a Legend Hcx and want maps for it but don't really want to spend over £100 for the Garmin TOPO maps.

What do people use that is free, I have done a Search on the forum but the search function is not working for me.

Also has anybody been naughty and downloaded any topo or navigator maps from BT Junkie or Pirate Bay, and if so does it work, not that I was going to try this
:lol:

Comments

• Hi mate i use a Etrex venture and its only any good for road riding you can get free maps but not much for UK just countrys that dont offer a mapsource map of there own.. Check out rwsmaps.griffel.se/ i use his maps in the caribbean and they are great for road riding or when im out on the motorbike but never bother when out on the MTB

Sadly you cant use ordance survey map data etc on a Etrex as far as i know????..
    Did you get the mapsource cd when you purchased the unit???
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Try talkytoasteruk, someone on here recommended it some time ago. Haven't tried it myself but the TOPO GB maps really aren't worth squat and certainly not £ 100.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • jmj
    jmj Posts: 100
    I have the topo maps on my Etrex. They have contours, major wooded areas and roads on. Paths / tracks etc are not usually on. I do use mine off road but mainly to see where I've been (plugging it in to Memory Map when I get home) or for navigation in conjunction with a paper map.
    Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
    Giant Trance 06
  • POHB
    POHB Posts: 40
    Check out the OpenStreetMap stuff. It is easy to get that onto a Garmin, it's all free and you can update it if you find errors. http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_Map_On_Garmin