Youth speak - do you understand it?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
After watching AdULTHOOD and feeling excited I thought let me speak (well type a message) to my brother using urban-youth-text speak.

I sent

"Yes blud! Wah gwan?"

And my brother responded with

"Nm mans bless styl, you?"

:shock:

Now I'm not bothered about my brother's level of English, academically he is actually really good. Hence, I assume, his ability to master youth speak so perfectly. However, with his response I found myself at a complete loss. I had to use, as though I was Greg, the urban dictionary to translate it.

Since when did I get so out of touch. Does this mean I'm now officially old? When, if it all, did you lose touch with 'da youth'?

Lastly, could this be th future of the English language?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• RedGT
    RedGT Posts: 238
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    "Yes blud! Wah gwan?"

That's a bit early 90's innit!
  • DonDaddyD
    RedGT wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    "Yes blud! Wah gwan?"

It was the best I could do... :oops:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Working in my job you tend to hear everything the 'yoof' of today throw at you.

I don't even half of the swear words they come out with, all I know it that I'm supposed to be insulted.

It's official, I have turned into a crusty old fart, where do pick my cardy from? :shock: :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    RedGT wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    "Yes blud! Wah gwan?"

DDD you are not just out of touch... you have been out of touch for over 15 years... you are old :P

Me im well down with the kids.... :wink: now where is my cardi and slippers.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    No idea. What did it mean?
  • UndercoverElephant
    UndercoverElephant Posts: 5,796
    edited March 2010
    Yoof wrote:
    Nm mans bless styl, you?

Bless you, old man, for attempting the parlance of youth.
  • DonDaddyD
    No idea. What did it mean?

Oh sorry.

I said

Hello my darling brother, how are you today? Anything interesting happening in your life?

He replied

Not much. Still, I feel good, special, blessed even. How about you?
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Do people actually talk like that? :shock:
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • Sewinman would have understood your brother, no trouble. They speak like that down Kew York way, I'm given to understand.

I have a simple view. As long as I can ask someone "what did he say?", I'm happy.

How did you work it out though? Did you have to ask him to translate his own utterance?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    edited March 2010
    Bikequin wrote:

Hang it says you're from Tooting? Tooting!

Put it this way Tooting is the fastest section of my commute. If tooting was a Supermarket it would be Somerfield, which is one up from Netto. What part of Tooting are you from?

Yes they have a language of their own I'm told...
    Food Chain number = 4

• cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    i figure I would find it difficult to understand london yoof speak....its not as 'Urban' as that up here...

you wont hear anyone call anyone 'blud' or 'Bridda' or 'Bredren' unless they are actually of Jamaican origin.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Bikequin wrote:

worryingly yes.

It's usually followed be me saying 'pardon?' down the phone.
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    My eldest is 10 and a half and thankfully still talks in English.

At what age do young people start talking like this?
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman would have understood your brother, no trouble. They speak like that down Kew York way, I'm given to understand.

I have a simple view. As long as I can ask someone "what did he say?", I'm happy.

How did you work it out though? Did you have to ask him to translate his own utterance?

I took each word and placed it in Urban dictionary. even then I struggled so I put it in the context of what I had asked him. Styl is a mystery beyond all human understanding. I dare not ask him though. He might 'merk' me?

He's 16 at that age where he's getting taller than me and starting to measure the width of his shoulders against mine. I can't show weakness or a lack of understanding. In the Jungle as his mane gets darker the young Lion would be planning on killing the older Leader".
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Sewinman would have understood your brother, no trouble. They speak like that down Kew York way, I'm given to understand.

I took each word and placed it in Urban dictionary. even then I struggled so I put it in the context of what I had asked him. Styl is a mystery beyond all human understanding. I dare not ask him though. He might 'merk' me?

He's 16 at that age where he's getting taller than me and starting to measure the width of his shoulders against mine. I can't show weakness or a lack of understanding. In the Jungle as his mane gets darker the young Lion would be planning on killing the older Leader".

Styl, mis-spelling/abbreviation of "style"?
  • RedGT
    RedGT Posts: 238
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    RedGT wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    "Yes blud! Wah gwan?"

now where is my cardi.
    For a moment I read that as icard, now that would be Dope/Massive/Wicked.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ....Since when did I get so out of touch. Does this mean I'm now officially old? When, if it all, did you lose touch with 'da youth'?
    Surely that's the point. Language is being used to shut out the non-youth.
    I don't know when you get "officially" old (retiral?)... it's all relative: to a primary-school kid everyone is old...
    I heard on the radio a while back a reference to "a 45 year-old man"... and realised that I was now officially middle aged. Alarming, but at least it means I'm not "old", yet!
    Lastly, could this be th future of the English language

Nope, though bits of it will be aggregated, just like rhyming slang and other divergent subcultural usage (divergent in a linguistic sence, not behavioral).

Cheers,
    W.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Happily, my 11-year-old daughter speaks properly, and my 7-year-old son tends to limit his "yoofspeke" to "chillax", thus far. Um, innit.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • I've reached the age where I take 'middle aged' as a compliment, but even I know it's 'da yoot'. 'Da youth' indeed - you is ignorant innit.
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    He might 'merk' me?

Would that involve giving your merkin'?
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Oddjob62 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    He might 'merk' me?

Would that involve giving your merkin'?

I miss George W. Bush. "I'm proud to be a merkin". So you should be, George.
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    Styl = Speak To You Later.

The rest was pure gibberish to a simple minded northerner :oops:
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    squeeler wrote:
    Styl = Speak To You Later.

The rest was pure gibberish to a simple minded northerner :oops:

Ah, now it makes sense... so it's 'not much mate, speak to you later' with the 'you' added as an afterthought.

And I regularly use ttyl (talk to you later). Come on, self.
  • Bikequin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Bikequin wrote:

Hang it says you're from Tooting? Tooting!

Put it this way Tooting is the fastest section of my commute. If tooting was a Supermarket it would be Somerfield, which is one up from Netto. What part of Tooting are you from?

Yes they have a language of their own I'm told...

Just round the corner from Tooting Bec station just of Trinity Road. Although I'm prone to telling people I actually live in Balham. I'm looking forward to our inevitable meet on the Clapham Balham drag strip at some point.

But back to the point - If Tooting is on a par with Somerfield - then Tooting Bec is somerfields taste the difference range.
  • DonDaddyD
    Bikequin wrote:
    But back to the point - If Tooting is on a par with Somerfield - then Tooting Bec is somerfields taste the difference range.

I'll go with that.

Also, I've scalped you, you ust don't know it.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Bikequin
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    I'll go with that.

Also, I've scalped you, you ust don't know it.

Sounds like fighting talk - :twisted:

I think I'll have to take the ong route home tongith and head over vauxhall bridge.
  • moonio
    moonio Posts: 802
    I dont mind how they talk in the street, I just wonder how they will get a decent job talking like that..
    However my older relatives speak both Jamaican patois and perfect queens english and are quite proud to say they are bi-lingual
  • cyberknight
    cyberknight Posts: 1,238
    W00t 11

IR 1337 IR PWNZ U 1111

Its when people talk like that i switch off ..........
    FCN 3/5/9
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Hang on DDD - think you're confusing 'text speak' with 'yoof speak' - however as I don't understand either that's probably no help :roll: