Good luck with that...

_Brun_
_Brun_ Posts: 1,740
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Just popped out for lunch, and on the way back walked past some bloke outside Evans who appeared to be attempting to fix a puncture without removing his hub-geared back wheel from the frame.

I thought I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, realising it's possible to repair a tube without taking the wheel off, even though his close-fitting full length guards looked like they might make things very awkward. However, I saw a mate heading back in that direction, and apparently ten minutes later the chap had managed to insert the valve of a new tube into the wheel and was trying to work out how to get it past the frame.

Can't help but wonder how he's getting on.

Comments

• Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Nip back out there and check. Offer a helping hand will ya :shock: :wink:
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    You could lend him a pair of scissors.

This way he could cut the tube and feed it through.

Simples.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    Two things:
    1) presumably you mean he was trying to change the tube, since I nearly always mend my punctures without taking the wheel off.
    2) In my dim distant memory I seem to have a recollection of striaight tubes being available ie non-circular so that you can replace the tube without taking off the wheel. Did I imagine it?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    He needs a cobra tube unless it was 700c rim.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    he could just patch-up the tube instead of trying to replace it with a new one, he could do that without taking the wheel off.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    will3 wrote:
    Two things:
    1) presumably you mean he was trying to change the tube, since I nearly always mend my punctures without taking the wheel off.
    2) In my dim distant memory I seem to have a recollection of striaight tubes being available ie non-circular so that you can replace the tube without taking off the wheel. Did I imagine it?

Now that is a strange but good idea!
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • _Brun_
    Why are people replying without having read my post properly? It's very rude.

F#@king internet.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    linsen wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Two things:

google cobra tube
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • _Brun_
    linsen wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Two things:

I had a recollection of those also. I concluded that the reality must be as practical as tubeless tyres, for the obvious reason that if either actually were any good, they'd be in common use.
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    nicklouse wrote:
    linsen wrote:
    will3 wrote:
    Two things:

google cobra tube

I did, I see you can, never seen one in a shop - are they practical?
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    You're all wrong! He was obviously using Möbius tyres and a set compatible tubes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%B6bius_strip
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    _Brun_ wrote:

F#@king internet.

You should d-lock the cunts!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    _Brun_ wrote:

F#@king internet.

oops... sorry. :oops:
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08