• rjsmith
    rjsmith Posts: 1,924
    Thanks cjw.

2.57.58 so got a gold :)
  • stokepa31
    stokepa31 Posts: 560
    RRSODL wrote:
    stokepa31 wrote:
    What a stunning day it was. Wonderful weather and a great great course through some of the most beautiful countryside. One or two big grinds (well they were for a fat boy lol). I finished with 3:37 for the standard just missing the silver time by 7 minutes. Still, it was a massive pb for me over that distance.

Just had a nice long soak in the bath and now it's time for a big feed at the lamb inn.

Superbly signposted and good selection of food and drink at the feed station. Well done wiggle. I'll be back

+1

This was my first ever event and I thought it was fantastic.

I thought the epic part, over the first 56 mls for standard was much more difficult, unless of course I was too tired hence I found it harder.

I now realise that my training was completely inadequate so I'm very pleased with my ride.... it's not easy carrying 17.5 stones :lol:

I feel your pain lol. my 18.5 st struggled up the hills but i was passing everyone on the downs lol.

legs are feeling great today so the mixed grill i had last night must have done the trick
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Anybody have the skills to turn the results pdf into a spreadsheet?
  • homercles
    homercles Posts: 499
    I don't have the skills to turn a PDF into a spreadsheet but I can pass on this from UK Cycling Events about the changed GSB standards, given in response to my query...

"Hi,

we tweaked the times slightly as the course was a little longer due to the need to avoid a deep ford, and that 19mph (orginal Ave) was only achieved by a couple of riders so we adjusted this slightly.

Kind Regards

Martin"

So my Gold is officially valid! Hurrah!
  • iPete
    Hurrah thanks, I'd be gutted to have missed out by 1 minute 13 seconds because of car traffic!
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    The traffic was pretty bad coming back to base wasn't it.

I've tried to import the pdf and found;

Wont paste into Excel directly - puts everything in a single column
    Can paste into Word - and from there can cut paste into excel BUT it only pastes one page at a time and I can't be bothered at the moment.

Now just waiting on the photos :wink::lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Just seen that rider 90 did the epic in 3 h 4 min ave of about 28 mph according to the results sheet - makes my 3 h to do the standard slow!!
  • rrsodl
    rrsodl Posts: 486
    stokepa31 wrote:
    RRSODL wrote:
    stokepa31 wrote:
    What a stunning day it was. Wonderful weather and a great great course through some of the most beautiful countryside. One or two big grinds (well they were for a fat boy lol). I finished with 3:37 for the standard just missing the silver time by 7 minutes. Still, it was a massive pb for me over that distance.

Just had a nice long soak in the bath and now it's time for a big feed at the lamb inn.

Superbly signposted and good selection of food and drink at the feed station. Well done wiggle. I'll be back

+1

This was my first ever event and I thought it was fantastic.

I thought the epic part, over the first 56 mls for standard was much more difficult, unless of course I was too tired hence I found it harder.

I now realise that my training was completely inadequate so I'm very pleased with my ride.... it's not easy carrying 17.5 stones :lol:

I feel your pain lol. my 18.5 st struggled up the hills but i was passing everyone on the downs :lol:

legs are feeling great today so the mixed grill i had last night must have done the trick

Tell me about it lol I was 19.5 6 months ago :oops: but still enjoying every moment.

As this was my very first event I was just amazed at the speed some of you guys go down hill :o With some hills I felt fine, the road surface was good and one could see where one was riding so could go fast but at other times where the road surface wasn't the best and the shadows of the trees did not make it easy to see, I just took it very carefully :lol: while others would fly pass me :oops: - I think I'm pushing my 16 and 20 spokes wheels at 17.5 stones so I was taking no gambles with any holes. Nevertheless, I came across a hole when it was too late to do anything but jump, don't know how I did that, just glad that I did it :)

As far as friendliness of the riders I wouldn't know - I didn't know what to expect - all seemed fine to me.
  • fridgeboy
    fridgeboy Posts: 37
    Did the Standard course in 03:10. Despite puncturing after about 3 miles I thought this was a very good event. Obviously the fantastic weather helped tremendously. I had several good runs with bunches of other riders over the first half of the course, but things thinned out rapidly after the drink stop. I didn't notice any specific unfriendliness at all myself.

For me, one of the biggest positives of the ride was the road surface - oh for some decent tarmac around my way.

A few (personal) suggestions to Wiggle:-

1. the very first route sign was right on top of the left turn, and although I spotted it, I saw several people in my start bunch go flying off up the main road. I think it could have been better signposted.

2. the final right turn across the main road in Brokenhurst was VERY busy with poor visibility. I think it should really have had a marshall on it.

3. I was very surprised that there was no Wiggle trade stand selling accessories, clothing etc. What a great chance missed to make some easy money, and what a great convenience to the riders it would have been.

4. I would rather have had better timing (with splits) than the free bike tool or a medal.
  • stokepa31
    I have done a spreadsheet but dont know how to host this somewhere where everyone can access it. if you have the facility to do this can you let me now ad pm your email
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    Just seen that rider 90 did the epic in 3 h 4 min ave of about 28 mph according to the results sheet - makes my 3 h to do the standard slow!!

Either that or he neglected to tell the organisers that he did the Standard route instead of the Epic on the day.
  • iPete
    For anybody curious about the timing situation, UK cycle events have passed me onto the chip time people Race Time Systems:
    Hi

So sorry about the issue re the timing.

We are looking at the issue right now and we promise to get any problems resolved as soon as possible.

We were using a new system at the weekend which uses disposable timing tags, these tags are state of the art, but unfortunately they were affected by the number of different ways people put them on their bikes! (now resolved for future events)

This meant that we had to revert to a manual system, so please bare with us as we resolve these issues.

Kind regards

Kevin
  • cjw
    iPete wrote:
    For anybody curious about the timing situation, UK cycle events have passed me onto the chip time people Race Time Systems:
    Hi

but unfortunately they were affected by the number of different ways people put them on their bikes! (now resolved for future events)

This meant that we had to revert to a manual system, so please bare with us as we resolve these issues.

Kind regards

Kevin

Huh :shock: Everyone I saw had them on the front, over the stem, attached by 2 zip ties. How else could you attach them - did consider using nails but forgot my hammer :lol:
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • stokepa31
    cjw wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    Hi

but unfortunately they were affected by the number of different ways people put them on their bikes! (now resolved for future events)

Kind regards

Kevin

lol. spreadsheet on its way over to you

Huh :shock: Everyone I saw had them on the front, over the stem, attached by 2 zip ties. How else could you attach them - did consider using nails but forgot my hammer :lol:
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • cjw
    London to Paris Forum

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    cjw wrote:

The guy at check in said not to tie them too tight as it could damage the chip, so maybe that was what was happening. Most stems sit proud of the bars, causing the chip to bend a bit if it's tied too tight. Well done to them for having a backup system.
    The last main road can get busy anyway but just beyond the finish is a level crossing right by the station. This often blocks the road for a fair long while at a time, surprisingly often. If you got to that junction just when the cars had been released you'd have had a wait.
    The Allez's on Blissford Hill were brilliant!
  • iPete
    I've just checked with RunKeeper on my iPhone, my start time was 9:21, my chip time start was 9:15! So its pretty clear that whilst I was standing at the front getting briefed my chip had registered me as started.

Still, fantastic day, I'm sure they won't let it happen again...
  • WindyRob
    WindyRob Posts: 32
    Was stoked to see that the times had been adjusted to reflect the extra distance and that i'd got a silver standard.

AS for the friendliness comment and others responses; except for the Rattler last year (a thoroughly unpleasant experience from 66 miles quads, hams and calf muscles all cramped up leaving me lying on the side of the road!) the other rides i've done have been either audax or CTC challenge rides. These rides have had a far less competitive feel to them so i guess that is what i'm commenting on. I used to run and have competed in a number of half marathons which is probably akin to the sportive's and they were very friendly. Perhaps I'm just a sensitive sole!?

if it wasn't my youngest daughters birthday on the 2nd of may I'd be at the tank museum for the Jurassic as i thought the ride was very well organised (save for the last junction).

See you all at another wiggle ride, perhaps the next new forest one in the autumn, hope it's a different route.

Windy
    Wot, get up early and ride to work?!.... Are you mad?
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    photos have been posted on the sportive photo website now
  • 2bak860
    2bak860 Posts: 8
    For those who missed it (or even attended!) - the New Forest Spring Sportive video is now on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLSF5ag4n7Q&hd=1
    Ross Chapman
    Video Producer
    Twitter: @rosschapman
  • homercles
    There's a very handsome chap on screen 35s into that video. Nice work on the film, Ross Chapman.
  • 2bak860
    So you would be somewhere here - right?

4539904527_590075fc5c.jpg
    Ross Chapman
    Video Producer
  • homercles
    Front of shot. Prefer the video to the sportivephoto stuff because my less than svelte middle is hidden from view!
  • 2bak860
    Glad to hear you had a great time.

I tend to go close in for video, so middles are normally cut out!

Are you attending any of the future Wiggle Super Series?
    Ross Chapman
    Video Producer
  • homercles
    The Wiggle calendar and I don't look like we'll see eye-to-eye much over summer (Mega Meon currently under review), but I am definitely planning to come back for the New Forest one at the start of October.
  • iPete
    2bak860, most impressed, couldn't help but notice you filming with a DSLR on the day, nice setup and even better shooting. 8)

Recon you should lend a few Go Pro's to some riders for some on the move action, I'll volunteer :wink:
  • 2bak860
    Thanks iPete!

Yep, was filming with a Canon EOS 7D, Rode VideoMic and a redrockmicro shoulder rig.

I'd love to get a few go pro hds on some riders. I'm filming the ups and downs mtb this Saturday - won't be in time for that, but maybe next time!

iPete - are you participating in any other upcoming events this year? I'll try and attend and stick a gopro hd on you!
    Ross Chapman
    Video Producer
  • iPete
    Hey 2bak860,

Very nice, I just shoot an 'ancient' 40D, no video sadly. Love the DoF you get filming with a DSLR.

That would be epic, I'm cycling across Europe at the end of May, so haven't thought about doing others yet. Although the The New Forest 100 Sportive at the end of the season is definitely on my list but I'm sure I'll find one I can attend before then, maybe the Jurassic Beast on the 2nd.
  • AlainR
    AlainR Posts: 88
    2bak860 wrote:
    For those who missed it (or even attended!) - the New Forest Spring Sportive video is now on YouTube!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLSF5ag4n7Q&hd=1

Great video, dude.

Great event too. My first sportive of the year, after a hard winter of training and I managed to complete the Epic in 4:22 (4:30 'official'), which I was pretty pleased with.

Bring on the Jurassic (even if it is a little slow paced!!)