First time in 24 years

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Feb 2010 was the first month since electronic records began in 1986 in which there have been no fatalities on Northern Ireland roads

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/nort ... 546531.stm

I hope this is part of a trend rather than a one off 'blip'
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• There was almost number one for march this morning as a MOTORWAY MAINTAINANCE lorry tried to squeeze past me without changing lanes.

I swear to feck when he had squeezed me up against the kerb my right shoulder was about 6 inches from the side of his lorry. :shock:

I've been knocked off before and had run ins with cars etc but this really set me off, if he had have stopped I would have gone ape on him, i was pumped and ready for war. managed to calm down when I realised the lights and my gearing on the singlespeed was against me in the chase for him. :evil:

But seriously, that is great news about february. :D
    Long may it continue
  • That's a really encouraging statistic, considering February's weather conditions. (Though the bad road conditions might actually have helped by keeping down traffic quantities and reducing traffic speeds.)
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    That's a really encouraging statistic, considering February's weather conditions. (Though the bad road conditions might actually have helped by keeping down traffic quantities and reducing traffic speeds.)

I think this may have a bigger bearing than anything else...

people making fewer journeys and taking extra care.....probably the stats for small bumps are way up, while the biggies are down.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Phew, I thought you'd just confessed to the end of a really barren run with the ladies when I saw the thread title.