Pins and needles in my feet.

Ikey123
Ikey123 Posts: 6
edited March 2010 in Health, fitness & training
Hiya boys/girls.After a short spell on the bike I keep getting pins and needles in my feet. I have a new saddle yet still the problem persists.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Is your saddle set level, are you wearing padded shorts, do you have a back problem.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Ikey123
    Thanks for the reply,my saddle is level I have padded shorts and I don't have a back problem.It seems to be worse when I'm on my training roller but I've put this down to being unable to stand and shake my foot back into shape. I've tryed going commando under my padded shorts and still no joy!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    what shoes?

too tightly done up on the top of the foot.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    either shoes too tight after a little while and your feet have swelled a little.

If not that then you're looking at either too narrow a saddle causing a restriction in blood supply or a spinal problem.
  • Ikey123
    Thanks very much for the replys guys.I've got 5:10 shoes with v12 peddles,I keep my shoes as loose as possible. The saddle is a sdg bell air rl and the problem was there with my old speacilized saddle.
  • chunkyboy
    chunkyboy Posts: 97
    @ ikey. Thought i would post a reply on this because it may shed some light. I was out yesterday with a brand new pair of 5 ten freerider shoes on flat pedals. I didn't get pins and needles but did get a numbing sensation at the end of the ride. I've never experienced this before with other types of footwear so put it down to the fact that the shoes are new and need to be worn/bedded in. I don't know if your shoes are new but maybe it's worth trying different footwear just to see if the pins and needles continue or try some gel/cushion insoles.
  • Hothouse
    Hothouse Posts: 27
    You can sometimes get this problem when using SPD's and the cleat is set up incorrectly for your foot. There is a nerve that runs through the ball of your foot simillar to that in your hands and when pressure is applied for any length of time in that position you will get pins and needles. I have never known this with flats, but there is a first time for everything i suppose :D
  • alexh1981
    alexh1981 Posts: 34
    Also, don't rule out shin problems. They can swell and block the flow. How is your flexibility?

I've had years of problems with my shins.
  • Bear77
    Bear77 Posts: 60
    nicklouse wrote:
    what shoes?

too tightly done up on the top of the foot.

This was my problem. Bit of an odd one though. I had shoes with three velcro straps. In the end I needed to keep the bottom two straps loose to stop my foot going numb from being squeezed. But needed to keep the top strap tight to stop my foot moving forward and being squeezed again. So can be too loose and too tight.

+1 for cleat and saddle adjustment also.
    The revolution will not be televised