Wheel Circumference for setting my Computer

Hurricane151
Hurricane151 Posts: 632
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I have been out o my new bike today and I have fitted a Cateye Strada wireless. I initially set it up as recommended on the instructions for a 700c x 23 tyre which was at 2096mm.

After i got in today I thought i would measure it out on the floor to try and get a true measurement and this came out at 2135mm. This seems like a really big difference.

Just wondering if I should go with the actual measurement and if anyone else as set figures for their circumference in the same ballpark as 2135.

Cheers

Comments

• Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I was surprised how close mine came to the 2096 when I reset it after changing tyres recently, I don't think it had been that close on the previous set.
    Were you sitting on the bike when you took the measurement (ok, half sitting, half trying to balance and move forward on your toes)
  • i was just astride the bike walking it along having marked a point on the tyre (measuring point to point). just done it again on a hard wood floor and it came to 2103. think i'll go with that one as i previously did it on carpet which may skewed the reading a bit.
  • I've got a Sigma computer and I've just pulled out the wheel size chart that it has in the instructions. They give 2133 for 700 x 23C, which is very very close to your first reading.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I know this is a daft question but just looked at the manual and the measurement you got first is for 700 x 28 (2136) and the second one is for 700 x 25 (2105) are you sure your tyres are 700 x 23?

Sorry if this sounds stupid