Specialized Rockhopper - Bent Rear Skewer

t84
t84 Posts: 119
edited March 2010 in MTB general
Hi guys,

I recently noticed that the rear QR Skewer on my Rockhopper is bent (At the opposite end to the lever, about 1cm from the tip)

My questions are:

1) What could've caused this?
2) Does it need replacing? (There's no problem whilst riding)
3) I bump up kerbs when I'm riding onto paths, should I not be doing this? Is there a technique?

Many thanks :)

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    pics?

IE how badly bent?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • TowerRider
    TowerRider Posts: 430
    t84 wrote:
    Hi guys,

I recently noticed that the rear QR Skewer on my Rockhopper is bent (At the opposite end to the lever, about 1cm from the tip)

My questions are:

1) What could've caused this?
    2) Does it need replacing? (There's no problem whilst riding)
    3) I bump up kerbs when I'm riding onto paths, should I not be doing this? Is there a technique?

Many thanks :)

Only a beginner myself but having said that even 20yrs ago when I road my Grifter I would never bump up the kerb. That weighed a ton and I still lifted the front wheel off the ground as I approached. Bunny hopping? Sure someone will clear that bit up. That said the sick side of me does like to see someone approach kurb and bang! Front wheel deflects left while rider ejects on to ground :twisted:
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    yer lift the front wheel up then just lean forward to unweight the bike whilst the rear goes over. sorted :D
  • t84
    Thanks for the help, I do usually lift the front wheel, I'll bear the leaning forward tip in mind!

The skewer is only bent a little, but you can see that its bent when doing the skewer up, I'd say about 3-5mm if that...
  • t84
    Thanks for the help, I do usually lift the front wheel, I'll bear the leaning forward tip in mind!

The skewer is only bent a little, but you can see that its bent when doing the skewer up, I'd say about 3-5mm if that...
  • jadamson
    jadamson Posts: 644
    skewers are only cheap maybe worth getting a new one anyway? http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.php?cPath=32&osCsid=ad6833897373923f3197369093d9c091 could give you the option of pimping your bike.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    You've just clobbered it on a tree/rock/wall/something else. Don't worry about it. Skewers are made from steel, which bends happily enough. Bend it back with a pair of cloth wrapped pliers when you can be bothered.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • OwenBird
    OwenBird Posts: 210
    Assuming the QR is done up properly, it should see no bending forces in normal or heavy use. It sounds like yours is bent on the thread on the outside of the nut. This bit of thread doesn't get used anyway so it should be fine. If this is not the case, you are doing something wrong witn your setup. I can't see any reason why riding up kerbs would bend a QR.

That's the best I can do without a picture!
    SOLD!
  • t84