Crash This Morning

mousetoo
mousetoo Posts: 53
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi

Been lurking round here for a while but this morning's commute has prompted me to post.

I was cycling down Walworth Road toward Elephant & Castle and was knocked off my bike. Essentially a car pulled up beside me on my right hand side and immediately turned left, knocking me off my bike. I genuinely thought I was a gonna but was thrown clear (came out of my clips) and hobbled away with only a few cuts and bruises. Thing is I always felt I could keep myself safe by being road-aware but this morning's crash has brought home to me how vulnerable we are on bikes - I could have done nothing to avoid this morning's crash, and if it had been a lorry I would have been under its wheels for sure. Crapping it for the journey home

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yikes!

Are you ok to ride? Did you knock your head in the accident? Might want to get yourself checked out properly - look out for things starting to ache overnight Checked your bike for damage etc? Any witnesses to the incident? Have you reported it to the Police?

If you don't feel up to the ride home, take the train.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • mcrdave
    mcrdave Posts: 501
    Sorry to hear that mate, hope you got the details and reg number etc, definitely report it. Doesn't make the pain go away though and hope the commute home goes ok,
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    Hope you're ok - sounds nasty.

It never ceases to amaze me just how many drivers "forget" to indicate, more like they are just too fecking lazy to bother.

Did the driver stop? If not he police should treat it as leaving the scene...

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Have you had yourself checked out? If not it might be a wise idea.

Careful now, and I hope it's nothing too serious.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I had that conversation with a relative:
    - Why don't you indicate?
    - but there's no one around!

- So you're infaillible?
    - no, but there's no one around!

- what if someone was around and you didn't see them?
    - but there's no one around!

- anyway, it's a moot point, what does it cost you to indicate in ANY case?
    - errr... but there's no one around?

Pathetic.
    It happened to me the other day, hadn't taken the car for ages, and forgot to indicate coming out of the roundabout. Realized it, and insulted myself for being such a donkey!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    You should probably have the bike checked out too.
  • Ouch, sounds nasty :-(

Take it easy, get the train back, then try and get back on the bike before too long so that it doesn't become a mental block.

Oh and what everyone else said - get he bike checked out, get yourself checked out (bike aways comes first), report it to the police.

Take care
  • What did the driver have to say?
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • Really sorry to hear that mousetoo, hope you are ok. Definitely get yourself & blike checked out. I had an off on kennington road in november and my shoulder is still sore at night from it even though it was my legs that really hurt at the time.

I go up walworth road sometimes too and it's not really a pleasant experience. The icing on the cake being the horror of the E&C roundabouts just afterwards.

Which junction was it at out of interest?

Good luck on the way home tonight, maybe you should leave the bike at work, you're probably more shaken up than you realise.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Ya, the Walworth Road has always been a bit of a crap shoot. I've seen some crazy things on there. Hope you check out okay and are back in the saddle soon.
  • mousetoo
    cheers all. it would have made zip difference whether the driver had indicated. I was ahead of her and she pulled up alongside side me and then just turned. My right of way and nowhere to go if I had seen her - I was already into the junction. she did stop and was hugely apologetic and offered to pay for any damage to the bike. I sat in her car for 10 mins or so while I waited to see whether I wanted to go to hospital or not (I didn't). Bike seems OK but will drop it into my LBS (well, Evans actually) for a check.
  • mousetoo
    Which junction was it at out of interest?

the one immediatly after Iceland - there was quite a crowd queueing to go in so I had plenty of witnesses had I needed them .. !
  • benno68
    benno68 Posts: 1,689
    mousetoo wrote:
    cheers all. it would have made zip difference whether the driver had indicated. I was ahead of her and she pulled up alongside side me and then just turned. My right of way and nowhere to go if I had seen her - I was already into the junction. she did stop and was hugely apologetic and offered to pay for any damage to the bike. I sat in her car for 10 mins or so while I waited to see whether I wanted to go to hospital or not (I didn't). Bike seems OK but will drop it into my LBS (well, Evans actually) for a check.

Oh well, at least she had some decency after the event. It is worth getting checked out, a number of people have felt fine immediately after but not so great the next day!

Not saying you will, but "if" a claim for injury compensation is necessary, a visit to A&E will act as evidence.

Always worth getting an eye witness too if possible.

Pinarello Dogma 2 (ex Team SKY) 2012
    Cube Agree GTC Ultegra 2012
    Giant Defy 105 2009
  • mtb-idle
    mtb-idle Posts: 2,179
    sorry to hear that Mousetoo. Hope you are okay.

I'm not one for suing people for the sake of it but make sure you get yourself and your bike fixed at her cost.
    FCN = 4
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Thank goodness she stopped.

Hope you are OK - be careful, as problems can take a week or two to show up over the general feeling you've been in a 'fast spin in a washing machine'.....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yeah, definitely get yourself and the bike checked out.

Speak to a solicitor asap if there's any damage. Re injuries, as Spen666 on here will tell you, it can take a while for certain injuries to manifest, so don't rush into any full and final settlement.

Also, I think Jamey on here had an incident when the driver of the car which hit him offered to pay but has since gone silent. So, get the witnesses sorted and write down everything you can remember of the incident and the aftermath - a diagram will help, too.

How was your commute home?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • giner1961
    giner1961 Posts: 135
    You need to report the incident to the police so it goes on record, this is to protect yourself just in case your injuries are worse then expected and damage to bike is also worse then expected. If you do not report it and you have to go through insurance or to court then you will not have such a strong case.
    Been in your situation, ended up bike was a right off the driver was renaging on saying he would pay for damage etc, i said fine i have reported to police will go through your insurance company, what you know paid me out in cash there and then?