180 Mile in a day, anyone fancy it?

I am looking for a total of 100 riders to take part in a fund raising event for 'Help the Heroes'.

The challenge will be Scunthorpe - Wootton Bassett on the 14th August this year.

There will be full route marking, feed stations every thirty miles, support vehicles, return coach travel (bikes in vans) and a souvenir cycling top.

The cost to enter is £45 per person and we ask that all riders raise by sponsorship £200 for the charity.

For further information check our website www.treaderz.blogspot.com or for an application form email me at matthew_john_porter@yahoo.co.uk

Cheers for reading

Matt

Comments

• Surely there must be some riders out there who are up to a challenge of this size?

I have approximately 70 places left for this exclusive event, which promises some very good publicity for all involved...

Come on you know you want to, its for a good cause and is certainly a challenge!

Matt
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    I would, but i'm moving to Oz in June. Good luck with the ride, it sounds like a doozy!
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • I popped my entry in the post this morning. Looking forward to it. Don't think my seating area is though! :D
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Surely there must be some riders out there who are up to a challenge of this size?
    I'm sure that it is a great charity and that the ride is well organised
    But promoting it on "size" - you mean the length of the ride- is not a unique selling point

This year I am doing the following events that are 180 miles aka 300km or more

300km 03 Apr Penzance Many Rivers to Cross
    400km 01 May Chepstow Brevet Cymru
    600km 15 May Chepstow Bryan Chapman Memorial
    600km 29 May Exeter Kernow and Southwest 600
    400km 18 Jun Clayhidon Avalon Sunrise 400 (this is my event)
    300km 03 Jul Tongwynlais, NW Cardiff Peacocks and Kites
    1000km 23 Jul Upton Magna, E of Shrewsbury Mille Cymru

The UK Long Distance Cyclist club, http://www.aukweb.net validate loads of events more than 300km all over the country.

May I now take the opportunity to plug my own 400km event? Thanks!
    http://www.ukcyclist.co.uk/avalon
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    edited March 2010
    Mate, £45 to enter? That's more than most of the expensive sportives. On top of that, asking individuals to go round asking for money? Good luck with it.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,084
    doing a multi day 450 miles ride in a couple of weeks - can't hastle friends & family for any more sponsorship (£3k so far)!
  • Patchy: Shame you can't make it fella, enjoy oz and cycling in sun everyday

Vorsprung: I stand corrected on my assumption that this is to be one of the longest single day charity ride. Will keep an eye on the auk website and am thinking of becoming a member myself.

De Sisti: Sorry you feel it is expensive for what you get, we are only asking for what the costs are. I suppose most sportives start and finish in the same place, which is probably what is making it expensive, the need for hired coaches to return everyone back is bumping the cost up by £15 per person. Then again we felt it quite significant that we rode to Wootton Bassett in honour of those that have lost their lives, the local government in Wootton Bassett thought it was a nice idea though. I would be more than happy for anyone to enter for £30 if they wanted to sort their own transport out.

Matthew h: Well done mate, that's an amazing amount of money that you have raised, you have obviously put a great deal of effort into it. The reason I organise charity rides every year is to give something back and to have something to aim for, have never been into racing anyone other than myself.
    Keep up the good work mate, its an incredible feeling when you complete a multi day event like that.