CTT rules on clothing logos

stfc1
stfc1 Posts: 505
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Would these arm warmers fall foul of them? They're currently the only ones I own (that stay up!). Thanks for any advice.

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=C9919

Comments

• SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    I think you would be fine with these to be honest, an offical might not agree, but , you could always put them on with the PBK logo on the inside of the arm so you can't see the logo so easily.
  • stfc1
    SBezza wrote:
    I think you would be fine with these to be honest, an offical might not agree, but , you could always put them on with the PBK logo on the inside of the arm so you can't see the logo so easily.

Thanks, I might try that and hope for the best...
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    You'll need a jersey of some kind, unlike the guy in the picture. I think he could have modelled the armwarmers with a jersey on............. looks like gratuitous flesh to me. :roll: :wink:

Agree with Steve - the logo probably falls foul of the CTT clothing regs if followed to the letter, but it would take an especially zealous official to object, particularly if you had the logos facing inwards/downwards.

Ruth
  • stfc1
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    You'll need a jersey of some kind, unlike the guy in the picture. :roll: :wink:

Ruth

I'll bear that in mind :wink:

Thanks for the advice, Ruth, I'm feeling increasingly hopeful that I won't be turned away at the starting line!
  • SBezza
    If they don't allow them, either turn them inside out, or take them off, and brave the cold :lol:
  • If you do wear them, put them on the right way round, the guy in the picture has got them on with the logos upside down :)
  • I wish theyd scrap this type of rule - i mean compare cycling to other sports (running/triathlon) and this type of rule looks so dated
  • SBezza
    I wish theyd scrap this type of rule - i mean compare cycling to other sports (running/triathlon) and this type of rule looks so dated

Wear club kit, and there is no issues ;)
  • SBezza wrote:
    I wish theyd scrap this type of rule - i mean compare cycling to other sports (running/triathlon) and this type of rule looks so dated

Wear club kit, and there is no issues ;)

There is if you aren't in a club or are in a Triathlon club. Cycling clubs do a great job of alienating newcomers and rules like this one don't help.
  • SBezza
    To enter TT's you should be in a club, or if you are in a tri club that is affiliated with CTT, then wear the correct kit as per the rules. If might not be particularly great, but rules are there to be followed. The logo rules are there to stop people turning up with pro team kit on, that are not racing for that pro team.

I think alot of cycling clubs are very welcoming, and this rule has nothing to do with cycling clubs, it is rules set down by the governing body for the sport, just like alot of other sports. You can't play club football without the correct kit, so why should club cycling be any different?
  • Hi

If the sport wants to develop then it has to encourage people to take part - inside or outside of the club structures. The implication that you have to be a member of the club and then require a club cycling jersey/skin suit must add about £70-100 to the bill to try your first race, when you could pick up a normal top for as low as £10 at aldi/lidl

Football isnt an accurate analogy - individual sports like running or triathlon both allow you to compete independently and in wearing whatever you want. Even if you are in a club there is no requirement to wear club clothing

Time for cycling to catch up
  • grantus
    grantus Posts: 690
    You don't have to be in a club to enter TTs in Scotland
  • grantus
  • grantus
  • grantus
    Just in case you didn't catch it first or second time :wink:
  • SBezza
    Hi

If the sport wants to develop then it has to encourage people to take part - inside or outside of the club structures. The implication that you have to be a member of the club and then require a club cycling jersey/skin suit must add about £70-100 to the bill to try your first race, when you could pick up a normal top for as low as £10 at aldi/lidl

You can wear a £10 top from Aldi, as long as it only has the manufacturers logo on it. If you want to compete at a decent level in individual sports it costs money, I know this when I did compete in athletics, might not be as expensive, but running spikes are not the cheapest thing to buy, especially if you do more than one event, and I still used club kit for events. Triathlons are no different, three bits of kit needed to take part at a decent level. All I said that by being a member of a club, why not use club kit, surely you should feel proud to represent your club.

CTT will allow you to enter an Open TT under it's HQ club, but does expect you to join a club. It is the clubs that run these events, if everyone that took part was not in a club, how many TT's would there be - NONE.

Why people are afraid to join a cycling club if they want to compete is beyond me to be honest, at any sport I have competed in I have been a member of a club, this is where you can get loads of support and help.
  • SBezza
    grantus wrote:

They are run under different rules ;). But then again as mentioned above, I would still be in a club, as I wouldn't want to compete on my own, having team-mates either to compete against, or to compete with for team prizes is an essential part of competition to me.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    The implication that you have to be a member of the club and then require a club cycling jersey/skin suit must add about £70-100 to the bill to try your first race, when you could pick up a normal top for as low as £10 at aldi/lidl
    Whilst you have to be a club member, you don't HAVE to wear club kit - you can wear plain unbranded jersery and shorts from Aldi.
  • stfc1
    Just to clarify, as this thread has taken on a new life since I left it, I will be wearing club kit and have no issue with the rules. But it's early March, I'm soft, and we don't have club armwarmers :wink:
  • Lillywhite
    Lillywhite Posts: 742
    stfc1 wrote:
    But it's early March, I'm soft, and we don't have club armwarmers :wink:

I believe they still allow black alcapa jackets :D .
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    Cycling clubs do a great job of alienating newcomers and rules like this one don't help.
    It's not the club's rule, it's a CTT rule for Open events - see the bottom of this page.

At club events you usually can wear what you like. I found my club to be very welcoming, and people turn up for the evening '10' in everything from pro replica kit to a cotton t-shirt and flappy shorts (though after getting a sore bum Ryan will wear padded shorts this season).
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.
  • stfc1
    No one batted an eyelid, by the way, although I did have the logos facing down/inwards. Good job too, because it was ruddy freezing!
  • SBezza
    Didn't think anyone would have an issue with them to be honest. Did you have a good race?
  • stfc1
    SBezza wrote:
    Didn't think anyone would have an issue with them to be honest. Did you have a good race?

There's room for improvement, but I was happy enough, thanks. Especially as it wasn't just my first race of the season but my first in many years.

Mind you, I was just about the only one there without so much as clip-on aero bars, which gave me something to think about... how much difference do they make?

Must resist urge to spend...
  • SBezza
    Well they help getting in an aero position, and using them is alot more comfortable than doing a TT on the drops.

You can get aero bars for as little as £30, I have some token ones which were £30, first used on my road bike, and then put on my TT bike when I built it up.
  • stfc1
    SBezza wrote:
    and using them is alot more comfortable than doing a TT on the drops.

That's interesting, thanks. I can see I'm going to have to try some out...