OT: Tax refund

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,064
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
OMFG what do I have to do to get my overpaid tax refunded, I can not believe the shear incompetence and or devious twisted workings of the tax office when it comes to refunds, over 15 months ago I applied for a refund on my tax for 2008 due to being made redundant etc etc. which the HMRC confirmed I am due in several letters, yet have they paid it out? NO they F**King haven't, repeated calls and letters simply result in either "the computer says no!" or yeh we'll have to get someone to call you back..... in 2 weeks :shock:

Arggghhhh! :evil:

Is this a tactic to make people just give up? well I'm not they owe me £2,000 and as it seems I overpaid in 2007 as well, I dare not even look back any further. :?

Bastards! :evil:
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I had no problems getting a tax refund. In fact twice I've received a refund without even realising I was due one.

Quite nice when you get a letter from the tax man and it turns out to be a cheque :D
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    Took me in total 12 weeks when I did it back in 2006. But worth it in the end (over 800£)
    This year they've been pretty good, since I didn't need a refund, but just a tax code adjustment.
    Took them only 2 months to get it sorted... :roll: but it paid for half my Viner :D

I have to fill a tax claim for 2006-07 and 07-08. Couldn't get my head around doing it, since it was so painful last time.
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • I bet they'd be understanding if you took 15 months to pay them. :twisted:
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    I bet they'd be understanding if you took 15 months to pay them. :twisted:

Yes but they pay you interest at base rate, oh wait a minute that's 0% or at least it was, grrr they should pay interest from the date of the overpayment and not the date you claimed.

Beside they know exactly how much tax you should pay so why don't they automatically refund the difference, like you say if you owe them money it's a very different story.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 61,206
    ITB,

Have a gander here and see where how far you are down the page:-
    http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/complaints-appeals/how-to-complain.htm
    Sometimes the threat of escalation will galvanise some paper pushing nobody to take action as they might miss their central government imposed service targets. That said, I've not usually seen a problem with them when they agree that you're due a refund, especially for individual cases.

If that doesn't work, then escalate using their lttle guide....

Would love to be in a position where I'm getting money from HMRC :evil:
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    I bet they'd be understanding if you took 15 months to pay them. :twisted:

That's the bit that gets me, if we are late paying them then hell hath no fury but it's *fine* for them to drag their feet........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5