Which clipless pedals

gbsahne001
gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Having just got hold of a new (ish) CX I've had to swap the hybrids toeclips over why I ruminate on the new shoes that I'm going to have to buy.

During this an idea struck me, why bother buying cleats seperately when I could get another set of clipless for the CX and move the ones that came with the CX to the hybrid.

Doing this means that I can then use the same shoes for both and save some money? in getting a decent set of pedals.

Needs to be Shimano SPD system but there's just so many to choose from, would appreciate some advice from someone who's been in clips for the last 20 years.

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've got shimano m520s. Cheap and double sided.

They do the job for me.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    I love Time ATAC because they're gentle on my knees due to all of the float.
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • Even the cheapest Shimano MTB pedals are superb, though my m505's (no-longer available) did start to get some surface rust after about 6 months. Never the less, they're available for almost the same price as a pair of cleats.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... delID=3759
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    I have M970s but they are way overkill for the commute, when I build my full on commuter later this year I'm debating on having m520s or something like the m324 so I can use it to visit friends without the full kit on.
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Definitely go for double-sided. With all the stopping and starting in a commute, you don't want to be faffing about with the pedals when the lights change, either that or learn how to trackstand.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Asprilla wrote:

They do the job for me.

+1.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    I have A530 touring pedals on my CX. Great for all occassions, and footwear.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • MattFT wrote:
    +1 for these, have an original pair on my commuter from around '96ish when they first came out and still going strong.

Very similar to Shimano SPDs (the cleats look almost identical).
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

They do the job for me.

+1.

And another +1. I can't compare to any others as they're the only ones I've ever used, but for commuting they've been all I need.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Shimano M520 without a doubt. £18.50 what a bargain!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=3759

I bought mine on ebay for £19 and they came with cleats. Nice and smooth.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Matt.K
    Matt.K Posts: 105
    +1 for the Shimano M520's.
    Cheap, easy to use, double-sided.

Why spend more unless you're desperate to save 5g in weight?
  • cjcp
    Matt.K wrote:
    +1 for the Shimano M520's.
    Cheap, easy to use, double-sided.

Why spend more unless you're desperate to save 5g in weight?

That was my thinking, too!

I've heard that some folks find it easier to clip in using Eggbeaters, but I can't justify the spend on that.
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • markp2
    markp2 Posts: 162
    I use A520s on all my bikes except the MTB. Although single sided, I find they give good side support which helps prevent knee pain and they are lighter than many. I tried A530s but the SPD side is raised, doesn't give any foot support and they are heavier.
    Cheers,
    Mark
    Genesis Croix de Fer - my new commuting mount
    Saracen Hytrail - the workhorse - now pensioned off
    Kinetic-One FK1 roadie - the fast one - hairy legs though!
    Cannondale Jekyll Lefty MTB - the muddy one which keeps tipping me into gorse bushes!
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    R_T_A wrote:
    cjcp wrote:
    Asprilla wrote:

They do the job for me.

+1.

And another +1. I can't compare to any others as they're the only ones I've ever used, but for commuting they've been all I need.

And me, I think I only paid £15 for mine 18 months ago bargainous. I've got similar ones on my MTB with the resin cage around they've been faultless too.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Thanks for the help; probably opting for the 520's from CRC
  • Riatsala
    Riatsala Posts: 44
    I've just bought m520's from absolutecycles on ebay £13 ish they came without cleats.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    And another +1 for the 520's. Mine do get slight rust pitting on them but nothing that a quick rub with wet & dry and a squirt of something oily doesn't solve...ooerr missus!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    M424's as someone mentioned above - think they are 520's with a resin cage, still double sided but you can also use them with normal shoes for shorter rides. They will be a little heavier though.
  • ince
    ince Posts: 289
    Just bought a set of A520 for the weekend bike, only used twice so far but seem good. I also have the M520 on my commuter, the double side helps in the stop start traffic.

I also have a set of M324 on the fixed atm, used to use these on the commuter. The flat side is great for use with non cycle shoes.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    +...er 5 for 520s. Good cheap pair to start out with.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    MattFT wrote:
    +1 for these, have an original pair on my commuter from around '96ish when they first came out and still going strong.

And another +1
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Shimano M520 without a doubt. £18.50 what a bargain!

I bought mine on ebay for £19 and they came with cleats. Nice and smooth.

+1

I'm on my 3rd pair of these (on different bikes, they didn't wear out) & they've always been fine.

Also available in choice of Sliver, Black & White (if that matters to you)

I think I paid about £20 off Ebay last time - but that was for White and included cleats & the optional platforms with reflectors to make them single-sided.

Just seen this ad for £19 - includes cleats, doesn't mention the reflectors

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-M520-SPD- ... 439da1eca2

Mike
  • El Diego
    El Diego Posts: 440
    M520's do the trick for commuting.
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    another M520's user here. They just work and are crazy good value.
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    If you are a bit of a weight weeny but still seek good value you can't go wrong with a pair of Wellgo W01 clipless MTB pedals. Okay they cost a bit more than the M520s at about £28 but at 310g are about 150g lighter. I use them in addition to the three sets of 520s (that I always seem to knacker!) I have and they are great, being robust yet gentle on my knees.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    Damn you all.
    I'd been ignoring the fact that I needed some new clipless pedals and then you go and throw a link up to a white pair of M520's that'll look very nice on the road commuter, and while I'm at it how about a black pair for that old cross bike that is lending it's pedals to the shopping bike.
    I'm trying to save for a new set of road wheels!
  • + 1 M520s
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    cjcp wrote:

I've heard that some folks find it easier to clip in using Eggbeaters, but I can't justify the spend on that.

What you can't afford £20?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13012

:lol:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • cjcp
    cjcp wrote:

What you can't afford £20?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=13012

:lol:

What the...?

I was looking at a £60 pair or something last October. :oops:
    FCN 2-4.

"It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    I have M424s on my commuter/roadie. They are not as smooth as the M540s on my MTB but they have the added bonus of being useable for short distances in normal shoes if required.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP